FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling

Post Date: 2016-01-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
here2learn View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote here2learn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cooling
    Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:07pm
Hello,

I'm pretty new to the liquid cooling world. I see that DS offers the 240mm liquid radiator and also Hydrolux cooling. The rig I am planning to build will have 2 video cards so if i did the hydrolux it would be the level 3.

Is hydrolux worth the extra expense or is the 240 more than enough? Any pros/cons I should be aware of with respect to either type of cooling system?

Thanks!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:35pm
Hi here2learn,

The 240mm liquid radiator is a closed loop cooler for the CPU. The GPUs will be air cooled with this option. You could also go with the Corsair 110i cooler that uses slighter larger (280mm) fans and radiator.

The Hydrolux 3 would give you cooling on your CPU, both GPUs and the Chip set. The Hdrolux is a custom loop built for your particular computer.

The Hydrolux will give you the best performance but is costly. It takes some periodic maintenance but just routine stuff. The closed loop system is free of maintenance but may not last as long.

Frank    

Edited by FrankW - 26 Jan 2016 at 1:37pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:26am
the custom water loop is going to give you far better thermal performance for a number of reasons, no the least of which is more radiator/fans.  you can run those fans at slower speeds which means less noise.  of course, with the addition of more complexity comes the risk of more that can go wrong and can be somewhat daunting to maintain and troubleshoot to the uninitiated and less mechanically inclined of us. 

if you want something that runs trouble-free for ~5 years or so (if you're lucky) go with an AIO cooler or better yet, a high end air cooler like the Noctua D14/15.  that air cooler will run forever and give you performance close to the best 240mm AIO water coolers. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:28am
fyi, there are emerging AIO pre-filled "hybrid" coolers with expansion possibilities from both Swiftech and EK.  you can cool both cpu and graphics.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:32am
You can also opt for an AIO cooler for the CPU and then get GPU's (e.g. EVGA Hybrid GPU's) that have a built-in AIO for the benefits of getting maintenance-free liquid cooling on your GPU. Your primary system components are then all water cooled and the cooling air for the radiators can all be directly from fresh, cool air outside the case.
 Post Reply Post Reply