Fan layout on rad

Post Date: 2016-01-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fan layout on rad
    Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 4:13pm
Just curious if anyone has experience with the 800d case in terms of A radiator at the top.  Right now i have a rad with fans pulling in and was wondering if i could see a difference with switching the fans to inside the case pushing out. I don't think i have room for push pull because of my MB. I do have exhaust fan running like normal and also the bottom fan intake under the separator panel. I also have a intake fan at the front that was added with an evercool 5.25 bay along with a fan behind that angled down on my Titan X. the card runs around 65 degrees load and  doesn't create too much heat that's why i was wondering do you think the switching of the fans would be better or worse or stay the same.I currently use a demciflex filter on top to stop the dust and it does work pretty awesome. Im asking too because i would not use the same fans, i wanted to switch to the new Thermaltake Riing led fans for radiators to add bling.  setup below

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 4:31pm
I don't have the 800d, but I would think the top on exhaust would be better. But, and this discussion has happened a few times, sometimes DS when checking temps, finds top rad fans blowing in brings fresh air directly to the rad and CPU temps are better. Depends on the CPU, overclock and case inside temps.

You could try it on exhaust and compare temps.   Won't hurt anything.   

From your sig, , your original gtx 690 dual gpu card was a hot running card and your CPU clocked to 4.6 might be why top fans blew in. Inside case temps might've been higher.   The Titan probably runs cooler than the 690 and top fans can be switched.

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Jan 2016 at 4:36pm
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 4:43pm
My 690 ran very cold, it never topped 65 degrees ever...it was quiet and when i ordered the pc they threw in a cheapo because i had the 690 from previous rig. between the two the 690 ran cooler because the fan was higher rpm. titan x fan is rather noisy past 70%.

When I ordered it i sent them the typhoon fans and talking to Robert who helped with the config we just decided to do intake. Im rather pleased with the temps of everything so far. I just replaced the thermal paste on my cpu block and dropped it by 6 degrees. with my front intake and the fan behind it helping , i think the inside temps are fine.

I know having the dust filter on top does decrease airflow in by alot and im pretty sure it *hurts* the cooling efficiency as apposed to not using the filter. i literally feel a big difference with my hand placed under the rad inside the case.

Edited by kernols - 13 Jan 2016 at 4:45pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 4:54pm
Got it. You know your rig better than anyone. Why was it decided to blow the fans in?   Blowing out means the top filter can be removed and less dust from there, but the air will come in from other openings.   The fans blowing in might've been for positive case pressure to better filter the air where filters can be used.

kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 5:00pm
I honestly can't remember if there was a reason why, i do know there were 4 fans i sent but only the two were used because push pull was difficult. Having the fans inside the case blowing out would cause the dust to build up under the blades right? so more difficult to clean but then i wouldn't have to use a filter. Everywhere else that i can think of is filtered on intake
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 5:11pm
Depends how much dust you have to deal with. With a negative pressure airflow, more airflow out than in, air will come in where filters can't be used, like the rear openings below the video card back mount, etc.   I personally would want the top on exhaust but if it's been working for you, even with the filter causing some restrictions, then stick with it.   Better dust management.

With top fans blowing out, no filter is needed on top and some canned air to keep the inside clean is all that's needed. A little dust on the blades doesn't mean anything other than looks.    The rad might need more maintenance with canned air over time.

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Jan 2016 at 5:12pm
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 5:18pm
Yeah i get what you mean, as of right now i only have to dust literally once a month and it's not that bad. My floor is all carpet and the other computer few feet away from me, while filtered has to be dusted way more as it gets bad. I guess because it is working for me and the only real change is basically for looks..i mise well keep it lol. I should change the sig, i dont use that monitor anymore, my main os drive crashed(damaged blocks)so i changed it out and use another ssd for games lol

Edited by kernols - 13 Jan 2016 at 5:20pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:00am
Yeah, if dust is the main issue, I'd keep what you have.   Tough call. I wouldn't want a filter on top for aesthetics, but better than dust inside.   

Is the tower on the floor?   If so, put it on a stand or table even just a foot or two off the floor. My house is dusty from forced hot air heat and I have 3 cats.   On the floor it would pick up dust and hair swirling around. On the table I dust it once every 6 months, if that.   

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 2:17pm
while push/pull is ideal, i'm fairly certain you'll see better results in a "push" rather than "pull only config. 

either way, just make sure the fans you're ordering are SP (static pressure) fans.  SP fans have fewer, yet wider, fan blades and are used in areas where air must be pushed/pulled through obstructions (like rads, hard drive/optical cages, etc.). 

as for specific fans, it's difficult to give advice w/o knowing the make/model/size of the rads in your system.  airflow through the radiator is the primary determinant in changing the radiators performance.  for noise-to-performance ratios, finding fans that can push a lot of air through the rad, while running at lower speeds is the ticket. while reviewing your options, try looking at the fan performance at 12 volts, 7 volts and 5 volts.  i typically run the 13x140mm, 2x120mm fans in my Aventum 3 at "quiet mode" (which is probably at the 5 volts or possibly 7 volts speed).  

Edited by db188 - 14 Jan 2016 at 2:18pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:13pm
db188's advice is pretty good.

A while back, when Martin's Liquid Lab was up, Martin did an experiment between push vs. pull. He found it basically made no difference. However, I believe I've seen elsewhere that pull is generally slightly louder due to the interaction between the leading edge of the fan blades and the radiator channels. In a test on Extreme Rigs, it was found that push/pull configurations were quieter than either push or pull as the fans could spin at a lower RPM for an equivalent mass flow rate of the air through the radiator.

Edited by  - 14 Jan 2016 at 3:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply