FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help on choosing the right custom PC

Post Date: 2015-11-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dusT View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dusT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help on choosing the right custom PC
    Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:30pm
Budget:
[3000-5500] "Canadian Dollars" I am a student and will be using some loan money to purchase this PC. So I would prefer to not go over budget.

Expectations:
[Gaming, Multi-Monitor Setup (2-3), The odd Programming]

Usage:
[Alot of gaming, schoolwork]

Special Needs:
[I do not need a lot of storage right off the bat and can add extra myself as required]

Specifications:
My current setup is a -------- Laptop with a Graphics amplifier/GTX970 and I really don't enjoy it. I got it as a gift and would like to get myself a killer rig to satisfy my own needs.

I am starting university in January, I will be taking some basic classes with my main course being Introduction to Computer Programming. I am a heavy gamer and play pretty much every new game that comes out, whether it be a AAA or indie titles. I am not super interested in 1440p or 4k gaming, as long as it looks good and runs smooth at 144hz.

I have only ever built one PC, and it lasted me a few years. I know how to put one together, but I would prefer to have someone else build it. I want clean cable management, and good parts.

I am pretty set on sticking with Nvidia Cards, and Intel CPUs just because I enjoy them best. Ever since the 980 ti card released I have wanted it. So the 980 ti would be my preferred GPU. But of course I would be open to any suggestions.

Basically I am looking for expert advice, aswell as other buyers experiences with Digital Storm as I have not purchased from them before. I only hear good things and now that they are setting up shop in Canada I feel like they would be my best bet to buy boutique.

I should also add that I will be doing some Twitch.tv streaming aswell.

Something like this really interests me. Obviously I would have to tweak it to fit into my budget, but this is what I have started with.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1237365

removed competitor name

Edited by Snaike - 12 Nov 2015 at 12:51am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:57pm
1) The Aventum II is still available, but only as their Aventum II Pro model. They have the Aventum 3 now.

2) How much space will you have for your computer? Are you going to be in a dorm room? Realize that the Aventum II and 3 are very large super towers. They are also specifically designed for a full water-cooled system with a separate compartment for radiators...if you aren't doing a full water-cooled system it is not worth it.

3) The Canadian dollar is relatively weak at the moment at around CAD$1 ~= US$0.75, so your system goal is no more than US$4125.

Here is what I would suggest:

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1315396
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

The Velox is a full tower size, so still large, but not rediculously so, like the Aventum. With the Z170 platform, you get a processor with integrated graphics; you can try to use a video capture software that uses Intel Quicksync on the iGPU to unload some of the major encoding work from your other hardware. You can use something like Predator in MSI Afterburner or Open Broadcast Software for this. Here is a quick video on how to set up OBS to use Quicksync. If that doesn't work, you may want to consider getting a dedicated hardware solution like: Avermedia, Hauppauge, or Elgato.

If you can swing it, I'd upgrade the SSD to the 400GB Intel 750 SSD.

If you want a system in your price range that has complete AIO water cooling on the CPU and both GPUs, take a look at this thread where I posted a configuration do just that.

Edited by  - 11 Nov 2015 at 11:05pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 1:56am
yup, both Swiftech and EK now have expandable AIO hybrid liquid cooling.  EK's "predator" line comes with a 360mm rad as well.  DS might want to look into offering this as an option for people who don't want to go full bore on custom water cooling.  they already use a Swiftech in their Bolt 3 and i know they have a business connection already established with EK. 

Edited by db188 - 12 Nov 2015 at 1:58am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply