FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How portable do I need to go?

Post Date: 2016-12-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rangoon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How portable do I need to go?
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:04pm
Budget:
$3000 (flexible, see below)

Expectations:
Gaming at 1440p and somewhat portable

Usage:
Gaming

Special Needs:
Easily pack into a car and travel several times per year

I was debating getting a gaming laptop, but decided I'm better off sticking with a (small/portable) desktop. So the question now is whether I go with mITX or one of the ATX form factors. I'm looking at the Bolt 3, assuming this is the smallest desktop offering from DS, but it seems so much larger than cases like the Raven series or NCASE. Maybe that's okay, but if I'm prioritizing portability, I wonder if it's just not that much smaller than the Velox yet has ITX limitations.

Does anyone have an idea what a typical Bolt 3 build weighs? And how much a typical Velox build weighs? I'm not likely going to try to get the Bolt 3 onto an airliner as carry-on, but maybe if it's an option I would someday. It's not important, though. I'm hoping to travel with this build about 1000 miles by car four times per year, plus a few other shorter trips. So I don't wan something too bulky that will make that process a pain or be too bulky in my temporary housing at the other end of that trip.

And if the Bolt 3 really isn't that much smaller than the Velox, my next question is - should I just get the Velox? Or should I build my own using smaller cases?

The other factor is the longer-term plan. I was thinking of getting laptop and holding off one more year on my new desktop. But since I'm going with a smaller desktop, I'm wondering if I'll be happy with the performance of the Bolt 3 for triple-screen 1440p (my current GTX 980 Ti with i5-2500k does alright as it is, but not sure on ITX performance with 1080 - I assume fine). If not, then I can see going with the smallest desktop DS can make, and then in a year getting the same larger desktop solution I was planning anyway (Velox or larger). My concerns with the ITX are:

1) no sound card
2) overclocking/performance limits

But if I know this is just my "travel computer" (and I'm gone 4-6 months of the year, so it's gotta be a real gaming rig), then I won't expect the world of it. But if I can use that same computer at home and be happy with its performance, then I'm all for saving the money and not having to transition between multiple computers. I'm just used to keeping my desktop in relatively current condition through upgraded components and until it's time to build new again. I'm also used to having a nice sound card with EAX HD, headphone amp, and external connections/controls. I don't think I can have these things with the ITX, but maybe I'm wrong?

Another aspect of the home computer is I'd like to consider what liquid cooling and 2-way SLI could do for me, but still not sure whether that is worth it. I am open to spending the money if it makes for a significantly better triple-screen 1440p experience, but that desktop would definitely not travel with me. That would also make the argument for getting a low-cost, low-profile travel ITX computer, then adding a second, home desktop later. If SLI/liquid are really not a "successful" solution these days except for someone with money to burn, then I'd perhaps like to find a mid-size solution to run a single GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 Ti, air cooled, whatever OC can be had, and take it with me on trips. What I consider "successful" is a relatively headache-/maintenance-free experience with definitely better performance, no noticeable micro-stuttering, and potentially reduced noise.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:07am
It's tough to give you recommendations with all the if, ands and buts.   

Click on more info under each case, like Bolt, Velox, Apollo, etc and the dimensions and the Bolt's weight are listed.

If you'll be gaming on a single 1440p with your "travel " pc, then the single gtx 1080 will do it.   If you want to game across triple 1440p then sli is needed for higher settings.   If that's the case then the Bolt can't sli, so it's out.

The Bolt is a lot thinner than the others but the height and length are only a couple of inches in some instsnces.   The Bolt, with each generation, has grown.

If you want a sound card, the Bolt is out.

If your gaming on a gtx 980ti with your triple 1440p and it's hanging in there, then maybe a 1080 with its 30% or so increase in performance might make you happy.   My guess is your game settings are med to high, which still looks good, all depends what you want.

I wouldn't move a desktop a lot. Every time it's bumped around the more likely something wiggles loose, but how cautious you are makes the difference.

Not sure this helped.

Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 7:13am
Originally posted by bprat22

It's tough to give you recommendations with all the if, ands and buts.

I totally understand. Just wasn't sure how to streamline the thread without either making several threads or asking questions that don't make sense out of context...

Click on more info under each case, like Bolt, Velox, Apollo, etc and the dimensions and the Bolt's weight are listed.

I still can't find that. I click on Select below Bolt 3, see dimensions, but no weight. I searched that whole page. I clicked on customize and got more info on the chassis, but still no weight given.

Anyone know what the weight of a Bolt 3 is?

How much more/less weight is liquid cooled CPU vs. air?

Will the basic CPU liquid setup draw more or less power than air?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:10am
Seems to me, if you're looking for semi-portable, you'd have a closer look at the Aura. Less pieces to move, etc...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:11am

Yeah, its about 40 pounds.  Not bad.  Big%20Smile

The power draw on the liquid vs air wouldn't make any difference,  Pretty low in either case.  Its' basically only  the pump and fans.  6 Watts for Swiftech, the Pro unit.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/uploads/6454/Swiftech_specs.JPG
Weight is probably a few pounds, but that's a guess. 

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Dec 2016 at 8:12am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:18am
That is a good idea, Snaike..  Big%20Smile

Another option is the Black OPS Enix which you can find under Apollo.

Its 9.25 x 19 x16.2.     

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Dec 2016 at 8:18am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:29am
Another thought..if you want to travel with it, even the car, I might opt out of the liquid and stay on air.   The plastic housing, reservoir of the Pro has cracked in shipping for a few customers on the forums.  Whether that's a low percentage or not I couldn't say. 
Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:50am
Great suggestions all around. Thanks - I appreciate the help.

I just wish DS had an mITX which could better compete in terms of SFF with others out there. I'm guessing there is a very good reason the Bolt has grown in size rather than shrunk...as in, maybe you just can't get a good gaming rig with so much limitation in PSU, air flow, mb robustness, etc. I trust DS, but I also wish I could get something along the lines of Raven or NCASE with DS quality. Then I'd feel confident getting an SFF rig and keeping a larger home build. But if I can't get more portable than the Bolt 3 (I have reservations about the Aura vs. laptop, but not out of the question yet) I feel like I might be better off trying to lug around a larger rig and only having the one.

And if I don't ever need to carry-on, maybe the Bolt 3 is a sweet spot of SFF and performance where NCASE/Raven just can't perform.

Bolt 3 on air, simple, not-too-heavy, still solid performance I would expect at 1440p single-screen and presumably less power draw than my home build and less noise.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:54am
You can pick any case out there and either send it to them or have them order it for your build.  There is a added fee, but its another option.  
Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:55am

You can pick any case out there and either send it to them or have them order it for your build.  There is a added fee, but its another option.  

Didn't realize that!
Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:01am
I also see DS has a case called the Drone, but it won't accept a 13" video card.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:11am
The Drone is the Corsair 380T if you want to Google and check out the reviews. 

Specs say 290mm max video card. 

My understanding is that it is discontinued, so its their left over stock.

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Dec 2016 at 9:13am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 7:47pm
You can call DS and see if they have any Eclipse's available still. That was using the Silverstone RVZ01 Raven case. That paired with the newer SFX-L PSU's would be a nice computer, for certain.

Also, I'd recommend going over and checking out the Small Form Factor forum if you're serious about SFF computers.
Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 10:35am
Does anyone know why the Bolt 3 has remained so large for an SFF (even grown in size)? I feel like, if I'm giving up all the PCI expansion slots of ATX, I should be gaining that small form factor's benefits and it seems like the Bolt 3 just doesn't really emphasize the merits of an SFF approach. Is it just because DS found the sweetspot for size in a balance of performance/ease of access vs portability/small footprint? I'm just curious if that was ever explained by DS or if anyone has any theories.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 12:59pm
DS never explained it, but my guess is that they wanted it to fit any size video card, even the wider dual gpu cards at the time. Liquid cooling I'm sure was a consideration.    

It is narrower just not that much less in length and height, imho. For a single card system it doesn't give up much for the majority.   Most don't do audio cards, enthusiast overclocking.

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 3:59pm
For starters, their decision to go from the Bolt II to the Bolt 3 was most probably because of their custom case supply chain. They've had some issues over the past few years with stock availability of their custom designed and manufactured systems, and I'm sure they wanted to focus on systems that generate more profit (the bigger multi-GPU ones with lots of water cooling).

Lian Li and Silverstone are the two manufacturers that come into mind when out-sourcing customized cases in volume. Lian Li has a smaller case than the one they use; however, it does not support a radiator, so they went up in size to accommodate a 240mm radiator. Silverstone does not have any SFF cases that would support a 240mm radiator; one of DS' competitors has a highly customized Silverstone manufactured case and integrated a slim 120mm radiator for the CPU only.

DS could do a SFF computer and offer water cooling like this. However, visually, it isn't what a lot of people looking for these high end systems desire with all of it being hidden...they want to show it off (take a look at the rash of RGB LED lighting that component vendors are sticking on things in the most ridiculous of ways).
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 11:28am
The reason why we haven't made the BOLT smaller is due to customer feedback. We've noticed a majority of customers that purchase the BOLT are not trying to fit it into a very tight space, instead, they are open to having a mid-level size system that is compact, but large enough to allow for custom cooling and larger graphics cards.

This also allows for better cooling performance and noise.
Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 11:54am
In that case, is micro ATX an option on the Bolt 3? That seems like the sweet spot to me. I just don't see the reason for losing the PCIe expansion slots, RAM expansion, etc., unless you're really going small (ITX). I'd be happy with the mid-size of the Bolt 3 if I could still use an mATX board. Or is the problem then more about adding weight? Wouldn't an mATX tend to also overclock better?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 12:26pm
The Bolt 3 is based on the Lian-Li PC-05S and doesn't accommodate the larger micro size mobo. It's not a DS design decision but the case they are using.   Just won't fit.   

DS does allow you to ship them a case you found elsewhere and they'll build if, for added fee.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 12:43pm
If you like the looks of the Bolt 3, or anyone reading this, Lian-Li does make a similar but larger case for the larger mobo. PC-06S I think.   
 Post Reply Post Reply