FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for suggestions.

Post Date: 2015-09-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joma View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for suggestions.
    Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 3:47pm
Budget:
7000-8000

Expectations:
The most power and performance obtainable for that dollar amount.

Usage:
gaming

Special Needs:
Closed loop cooling

Specifications:
The only thing I already had in mind is
Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1
16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance
and was thinking of going with a SLI of (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)

I am not that most knowledgeable about building a pc so I would like a little help to build a beast of a rig.

Thanks
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 4:30pm
since you only list "gaming" under usage needs you really don't need the flagship Haswell-E cpu.  that's for power/productivity users.  it is true that dx12 in the new os will allow game developers to more efficiently use multi core processors and hyper threading in games, but in general, core speed is more important.  for the best of both worlds you could go with the faster entry level Haswell-E 6-core, the I7-5820K, which can also support up to 3x video cards in sli/xfire; or you could go with the new Skylake I7-6700K (even faster clocks) 4-core, which will support 2x video cards in sli/xfire.  they're roughly about the same price (within ~$40) according to the manufacturer's suggested retail price (although i have heard due to limited supplies that the Skylake procs are actually going for much more right now). 

the Rampage mobo is really nice, and really expensive!  unless your going for 3+ video cards or you really want all of the other features of the board that you can't get with lower priced boards, there are less costly options.  it all boils down to the performance, features and personal aesthetics of the buyer. 

16GB of system ram is fine for gaming purposes.  you might want to include a good high capacity ssd (i.e. 1TB Samsung 850 Pro) for your os+games and 1 or 2 Western Digital Black hdd's  for data storage in raid 1 (for redundancy in case one goes bad) in your build. 

if you're not going with a top of the line air cooler, i wouldn't settle for anything less than a 280mm rad clc aio like the Corsair H110i GT that DS offers.  other options include the hybrid Swiftech H240X or even a full custom water loop for better performance. 

i personally don't like DS's psu options.  i never skimp on a psu and there are better options for the money concerning the selections they have.  i'd special order a Seasonic Platinum 1000W. 

you're on the right track with 2x GTX980ti in sli if you've got an eye towards big, high resolution monitor(s).  your wasting money on these cards if you only game on 1080p screens.  the Strix cards dissipate a lot of heat and have top quality components in their custom config.  you might want to think about a Velox case because these cards will dump that heat into the case and a Velox is constructed to vent a lot of heat (at the expense of noise).  however, because of how silent the premium components you've selected are the noise shouldn't be all that bad.  your room temps on the other hand will have to be dealt with in another matter.  heat has to go somewhere, right?

i prefer Windows 10 Pro version over home.  it will give you more control over downloads at the very least. 

a system based around these specs should come in around $5k.  use the rest of your budget on a great monitor or twoAwesome

Edited by db188 - 14 Sep 2015 at 4:38pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:22pm
I agree with most points that db188 made. I will say the DS has improved their PSU selection a good deal, but most of that improvement has been on the low end (750W and below). The Corsair HX1000i isn't a bad power supply by any means. You can bump it up to the AX1200i (right now it's back-ordered) or if you want the absolute best PSU, you can go for the AX1500i that has some of the very best PSU reviews out there (it's 80+ Titanium rating also means it performs admirably down around 10% load...roughly where you'd be idling). Also, for SSD, I now suggest using the Intel PCI-e NVMe SSD. It has exceptionally high performance that even multiple SATA SSDs in RAID cannot match.

As for the CPU cooling, if you go with the Velox (which is a very nice case) I'd go with an air cooler for it. While you can go with a closed loop cooler, it gets a weirdo mount to two of the three front fans due to the boards orientation and limited tube length. The fans are also of the high air-flow variety and not optimized for high static pressure that you want for radiators.

Here are a couple configurations:

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1282274
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD mini-SAS (400GB Intel 750 Series) (2.5 inch - NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1282280
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD mini-SAS (400GB Intel 750 Series) (2.5 inch - NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 3:00am
those are good builds bud but you didn't notice his "special needs" request for a clc aio.  easy change though and about $50 more.Big%20Smile  that's the best air cooler you can buy though and the performance is near that of the Corsair Hydro 110i GT 280mm. 

Edited by db188 - 15 Sep 2015 at 3:01am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 8:04am
Hi Joma,

Here is a build based on your suggested budget.

I used the i7 5930k CPU for the added PCIe lanes. You will be ready for what ever comes down the road. This is a full Liquid Cooled system with the Hailstorm II case. This is a great case for LC. You could also consider the Aventum case. If you don't go full LC then the Velox would be a great choice. I didn't put in any lighting. That is some what a personal choice. You can add it or leave it as is. I used a 1.2TB Intel 750 Series, 2.5 inch - NVM Express SSD. This is real expensive but the latest SSD technology. You could drop down to a smaller size to save you some money. I also included the HyperYellow color on your LC tubes. The tubes are clear and DS uses a yellow colored fluid. You can pick any color you like. I think the yellow looks cool.   

I also increased the Warranty to 5 years with 5 years labor and 3 years part replacement. This is a good investment in these high cost systems.

This build gives you a good starting point where you can make changes and come up with your dream machine.    

Frank    

Configuration Code: 1282418   Cost: $7,305

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD mini-SAS (1.2TB Intel 750 Series) (2.5 inch - NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Signature HyperYellow Edition: Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires Custom Liquid Cooling System)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty (5 Year Labor & 3 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by FrankW - 15 Sep 2015 at 8:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply