Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stnick97 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New +/-$3,000 build help
    Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 11:26am
Hello everyone,

First time post and first time custom build so bare with me I'm a noob. Here's a little about what I have and need.

I am a contractor and run everything off of my computer. I design with a 3D program, draw blueprints, contracts, payroll, quickbook and also photo editing.
I currently have an Asus G75VX laptop and it runs good but I need faster. I usually keep multiple tabs open including the 3D program, microsoft word, excel and internet tabs.

Here is the build config I have now.

Is it worth it to upgrade to the Asus x-99 rampage?
Do I need the speed of the Ram to be that high or is 2400 ok?
Are my fans good/ liquid cooling?

Specifications: 
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 11:40am
Any insight is highly appreciated!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 2:34pm
Hi stnick97...... that's a nice build.   

The Rampage does have other features like SonicRadar for gaming and an OC display. For those that want to tweak their overclocks, this is the mobo.    If not, the Deluxe would be my choice. You could check the features of each and see if there's anything you want. If you don't recognize the feature, you probably don't need it.

Ram speed depends if your apps like 3d modeling will use it.   Even if they can, I'm not sure it would be all that much. You might know better than us.

Fans and cooling look good.

I would change to the 5820k cpu and save $200. Only real difference is the 5820 has 28 pcie lanes for graphics and the 5930 has 40 lanes. For one or two graphics cards the 5820k is all you need.

Hope this helps and good luck.
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 5:04pm
Hi bprat22,

Thank you for all your advice, after reading it looks like I'll most likely stick with the deluxe but who knows what I'll do until I order. I'll be putting this on my business card so I may splurge..

I looked it up and the 2800 ram speeds will be more than enough for what I do. I tend to keep a lot of applications open so this should help speed things up.

I don't know much about the cpu and lanes, is the graphics card the only thing that uses the lanes?

Nick
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 5:21pm
I believe the m.2 SSD storage slot uses x4 pcie from the cpu, but that wouldn't interfere with a one or two card setup.   Id have to check later but a single card is x16 lanes, two cards in sli are x16x8 which leaves the extra x4 for m.2. Sli might be x8x8 which is still all good for the graphics and storage.   
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 4:27am
1) Asus Deluxe mobo is a perfectly good oc'ing mobo, has decent onboard sound and 3xgpu capable.  get the RVE if you want a x4 sli config, desire the enhanced sound capabilities, like the the color scheme better, etc. 

2) if it were up to a choice between more ram for productivity vs. speed, i'd go with the 32GB over higher speed/less capacity.  if you can afford both speed and capacity then go for it.

3) some motherboards require the x4 pcie slot be unpopulated in order for sli to work; however the Deluxe is a high end board that can run in an x8/x8/x8/x4 config with 3x video cards (or x16/x8 in a 2x card config) and a high speed pcie ssd in the x4 slot with the I7-5820K. 

4) additional considerations:  you might want to spring for a larger data HDD for storing all of your blue prints, images, and especially video if you do or plan on doing that. 
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I believe the m.2 SSD storage slot uses x4 pcie from the cpu, but that wouldn't interfere with a one or two card setup.   Id have to check later but a single card is x16 lanes, two cards in sli are x16x8 which leaves the extra x4 for m.2. Sli might be x8x8 which is still all good for the graphics and storage.   

That helps a lot thank you! I did some more research online and it looks like I don't need the 40 lanes. I doubt I'll ever need another graphics card so it should be perfect. I have an Nvidia GTX 670MX on my laptop now and it runs the program ok, so a single 980 will be overkill.. I might even save a few hundred and go 970...
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by db188

1) Asus Deluxe mobo is a perfectly good oc'ing mobo, has decent onboard sound and 3xgpu capable.  get the RVE if you want a x4 sli config, desire the enhanced sound capabilities, like the the color scheme better, etc. 

2) if it were up to a choice between more ram for productivity vs. speed, i'd go with the 32GB over higher speed/less capacity.  if you can afford both speed and capacity then go for it.

3) some motherboards require the x4 pcie slot be unpopulated in order for sli to work; however the Deluxe is a high end board that can run in an x8/x8/x8/x4 config with 3x video cards (or x16/x8 in a 2x card config) and a high speed pcie ssd in the x4 slot with the I7-5820K. 

4) additional considerations:  you might want to spring for a larger data HDD for storing all of your blue prints, images, and especially video if you do or plan on doing that. 

I think I'll stick with the Deluxs, I don't need better sound as I'm not doing much gaming and if the deluxe can handle overclocking too than its perfect. No need to upgrade.

I'm debating on going with the DS certified Ram and going 32gb 2666mhz. any idea if there ram is good compared to cosair?

Thank you for the info, That helps reassure me to stick with the 5820k. I had one of the reps give me info and they recommended the 5930k. If I don't need it I'd rather save or spend the money somewehre else.

Thank you, I think I will do that. I'll make it a 2TB enterprise edition and still backup to another drive every week.

Thanks for all your help!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 6:03pm
they use Corsair, Kingston, ADATA and Mushkin as suppliers, but keep in mind that these modules won't be their high end offerings so don't expect to be able to overclock them.  i probably wouldn't expect them to support even XMP profiles, but you'd have to check with DS on the specific kit going into your rig at the time of build.  if you want to make sure you get a kit that you can play with the timings and oc then go with the Corsair LPX 2666mhz kit.  i think you'll be fine for your needs with the 32gb 2666mhz DS certified ram kit though.  
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by db188

they use Corsair, Kingston, ADATA and Mushkin as suppliers, but keep in mind that these modules won't be their high end offerings so don't expect to be able to overclock them.  i probably wouldn't expect them to support even XMP profiles, but you'd have to check with DS on the specific kit going into your rig at the time of build.  if you want to make sure you get a kit that you can play with the timings and oc then go with the Corsair LPX 2666mhz kit.  i think you'll be fine for your needs with the 32gb 2666mhz DS certified ram kit though.  

Thank you for all the info, I will contract DS when I submit the build to see what ram they have. I just read that the 5820k can only handle 2133Mhz of Ram so those higher speeds are useless right?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:41pm
Intel only qualifies the processor to 2133MHz, but they can certainly handle more. So greater speeds are doable. However, keep in mind that the speed of the memory is just one factor in the performance. Another factor is the latency timings in how many clock cycles it takes to access and retrieve information. Generally, the faster the speed the worse the latency and the resulting performance is not too different. Right now, getting something at least 2400MHz is good enough and there won't be much in the way of significant gains beyond it.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:15am
Hi stnick97,

You already have some good advice. I have just a couple of minor things for you to consider.

1. Since this is primarily a business computer you really don't need the lighting. I bought extra lighting on my gaming computer and then never used it after the first week or so. It hasn't been on in years.    

2. Are you sure you have enough HDD space. If you retain all of your blue prints and such you might need more than 1Tb HDD. Of course you can add additional HDDs as you need them. Lots of room in the Apollo case.

3. You might want to consider getting Win-10 Pro rather than Home. It has a few features useful for a business. One is that you can control when updates are down loaded. With Win-10 Home the updates come when they are available. You can delay or stop them with Win-10 Pro.

Frank
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by 

Intel only qualifies the processor to 2133MHz, but they can certainly handle more. So greater speeds are doable. However, keep in mind that the speed of the memory is just one factor in the performance. Another factor is the latency timings in how many clock cycles it takes to access and retrieve information. Generally, the faster the speed the worse the latency and the resulting performance is not too different. Right now, getting something at least 2400MHz is good enough and there won't be much in the way of significant gains beyond it.

That helps a lot thank you! It didn't have any option for 2400Mhz so I will talk with DS directly.
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi stnick97,

You already have some good advice. I have just a couple of minor things for you to consider.

1. Since this is primarily a business computer you really don't need the lighting. I bought extra lighting on my gaming computer and then never used it after the first week or so. It hasn't been on in years.    

2. Are you sure you have enough HDD space. If you retain all of your blue prints and such you might need more than 1Tb HDD. Of course you can add additional HDDs as you need them. Lots of room in the Apollo case.

3. You might want to consider getting Win-10 Pro rather than Home. It has a few features useful for a business. One is that you can control when updates are down loaded. With Win-10 Home the updates come when they are available. You can delay or stop them with Win-10 Pro.

Frank

1. I completely agree, I just really like the lighting haha. I had put on the RBG lighting that will change colors depending on the temp of the PC. I'm sure I don't need it.

2. Since I posted this someone else mentioned more HDD space so I changed it to a 2TB drive. I will most likely add another one down the line but I want the western digital enterprise edition. I read that it has the best warranty. So when I upgrade I'll get another one of those.

3. Funny you mentioned this because I already changed that as well. I think it was about $50 extra which is worth it. I'll be upgrading my laptop soon too.

My biggest decision will be to keep the geforce 980 or drop it down to 970. The 970 is a few hundred less and the program I run won't need a 980 for at least a decade. I'm torn on this one....
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 4:36pm
I am down to the final decision now. I prefer the Apollo case but it doesn't fit under my desk so I'd have to slide my desk over. Either that or get the Corsair 450d case which is about 19.5 inches. The other benefit of the 450d is it has dust filters on all the fan mounts so that will help keep things cleaner. My desk is fairly close to our dog crate where he sleeps at night.

Any opinion on the two? Is either one noisier? Alex? (config look good too?)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 4:40pm
Config looks good to me.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 4:45pm
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by 

760t (Apollo) is slightly cooler (~1 degree C) but around 1.5 dB louder than the 450D.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7891/corsair-obsidian-450d-case-review/4
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7904/corsair-graphite-760t-case-review/4

Thank you! That helps a lot! Is the dust filters worth it? I'm not too savvy on noise levels. Is 38 dB fairly quite? would another case be better like the Velox?..
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 5:15pm
The Velox is a fantastic case, but I don't think you'll find tests for it out there. But, it has a lot of airflow and a lot of fans which can be spun down to reduce noise considerably.

The question on noise is difficult. 38 dB is not a lot at all, but noise is very much a relative thing. If you have a really quiet place, you may notice it slightly, but if there is substantial ambient noise, it will just blend in with it.

Edited by  - 11 Sep 2015 at 5:17pm
stnick97 View Drop Down

Quote stnick97 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by 

The Velox is a fantastic case, but I don't think you'll find tests for it out there. But, it has a lot of airflow and a lot of fans which can be spun down to reduce noise considerably.

The question on noise is difficult. 38 dB is not a lot at all, but noise is very much a relative thing. If you have a really quiet place, you may notice it slightly, but if there is substantial ambient noise, it will just blend in with it.

It does look like a great case. If 38dB isn't that loud I think I'll be fine. I have a fish tank in the room that connects my office so the noise shouldn't bother me too much. If the computer doesn't get too hot I can drop the fans down a bit too. This is exciting!

Thanks for all your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply