FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member hoping to get some feedback

Post Date: 2016-05-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New member hoping to get some feedback
    Posted: 06 May 2016 at 10:55pm
Hey guys, new to the board here and looking to be a Digital Storm purchaser sometime with the next few months once i save up the money.

Some basic history, i built my own PC in May 2014, and some of the components i used were not what i would prefer today. My current runs fine for 1080p gaming, more than capable, but i cant stand the case or the cable management to name a few things.

My current build:

Intel I5 4670k
8 GB Ram
GTX 970
1 TB HD
650 W PSU

I cant overclock my CPU due to the mobo, i cant SLI, some of my case fans and USB ports werent hooked up right and dont work and my cable management looks like a birds nest. Side Panel and GPU are missing screws and i hate having to open this thing up and it frustrates me.

Id like to get into 1440p gaming and possibly 4k but more so 1440p

Looking to get a well put together tower built by someone who can assemble it better than i can and with Digital Storm being right here in Nor Cal i want to support a local business.

Budget is around 1600 for a tower without a GPU, if i can save some $ great but i want to get a tower that will last me a few years to where i only need GPU upgrades which are easy to do.  I love this case and it was what originally brought me to DS, and i also want a purple interior lighting which i assume the fans are the best way to go?

Dont know much about overclocking and CPU cooling, so if the cooler is overkill i can change it. My fear with liquid cooling is having to change the liquid, not something i would want to do, and i read the H100 is self sustaining.

Thanks for any feed back guys

Im sure my budget is high for a tower and not needed considering what i already got but i dont mind paying a few hundred more to have someone who knows what their doing put it together for me and im thinking long term with this tower. If that means going with a 6 core CPU or changing some other features like a bigger PSU feel free to reccomended.

Essentially looking for 1440p gaming(possibly 4k) gaming and a tower that will last awhile without much upgrading other than say GPU. Once i see the benchmarks on the 1070 and 1080 i will likely considering getting one thrown in with the tower. I feel like 4 core Skylake I5 will do it but you guys know more than i do.

Also, im trying to do a white case, white cable and purple lighting for this tower.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1411092

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Digital Storm Certified Performance Series) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Western Digital / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Purple) (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard) <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Dovaogedy - 06 May 2016 at 10:57pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2016 at 2:56am
Build looks good. I would suggest changing the HDD to the Western Digital Black for a more reliable and much longer warranty drive.

The 6600k should be fine for gaming. The i7 does have hyperthreading for multi tasking and a lot of other apps, but gaming not so much.   Whether a 6 core Haswell E is better for the future depends if developers ever take advantage of DX12.   I'd stick with the Skylake for one or two graphics cards.

The CPU cooling is very good and is a sealed unit, so no maintenance.

For sli ability, I would up the psu to the 850 watt. The 750 watt might do it with Pascal having a rumored 180 tdp, more than a 980 but less than a 980 ti, but for a new system, more overhead is my choice.

The new Pascal 1080 is supposedly 20-25% faster than the 980 ti, so sli should give very good 4K gaming if you go that way.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2016 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Build looks good. I would suggest changing the HDD to the Western Digital Black for a more reliable and much longer warranty drive.

The 6600k should be fine for gaming. The i7 does have hyperthreading for multi tasking and a lot of other apps, but gaming not so much.   Whether a 6 core Haswell E is better for the future depends if developers ever take advantage of DX12.   I'd stick with the Skylake for one or two graphics cards.

The CPU cooling is very good and is a sealed unit, so no maintenance.

For sli ability, I would up the psu to the 850 watt. The 750 watt might do it with Pascal having a rumored 180 tdp, more than a 980 but less than a 980 ti, but for a new system, more overhead is my choice.

The new Pascal 1080 is supposedly 20-25% faster than the 980 ti, so sli should give very good 4K gaming if you go that way.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, ill definitely be looking at a 1080 when people like Linustechtips and jayztwocents are able to get their hands on it and can do some bench marking. My friend has a 6 core Intel CPU and a 980ti and plays in 4k a lot so im hoping a single 1080 card could get me there.

So ill make some modifications with an 850 Watt PSU and a WD: Black HDD, also will consider going with the 6700k

Im also considering the Vanquish 5, while i love the look of the Apollo Case, the Vanquish comes in at a cheaper price. I know you can only do a 750 w PSU in which case i would just run a single high end card for 1440p gaming

Is the Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler something i would need to mess with down the road?

Edited by Dovaogedy - 07 May 2016 at 12:59pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:41pm
I was going to mention the Vanquish but you seemed to have your heart into the Apollo 760 t case.   Keep in mind the motherboard in the Vanquish can't sli.

Their 120mm cooler is a sealed all-in-one unit like your initial pick, just smaller rad. Their cooler might only carry their warranty, meaning 1 year parts unless you up the warranty. They don't make it but get better pricing by doing their own warranty.   You could check with them to confirm.    The Corsair's have a 5 year and should last a few years. Their's should be the same quality.

Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I was going to mention the Vanquish but you seemed to have your heart into the Apollo 760 t case.   Keep in mind the motherboard in the Vanquish can't sli.

Their 120mm cooler is a sealed all-in-one unit like your initial pick, just smaller rad. Their cooler might only carry their warranty, meaning 1 year parts unless you up the warranty. They don't make it but get better pricing by doing their own warranty.   You could check with them to confirm.    The Corsair's have a 5 year and should last a few years. Their's should be the same quality.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and yeah im definitely looking at the Vanquish more since im not going to be doing some hydrolux type of set up and dont necessarily need a big case like Apollo
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2016 at 2:39pm
Tell them you want the EllerLux cooling solution.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2016 at 2:44pm
      Good one, Meller.   

That'll get them scratching their heads.    
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:28am
Just had 1 last question if anybody wants to chime in

Im trying to be more reasonable on my tower and im taking a good look at the Vanquish 5 level 2

Can that cpu handle 1440p gaming or will it bottleneck the gpu?

My goal is ultimately 1440p gaming, and i dont want to shell out the extra $ to overclock a cpu if it isnt needed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, ive gone to youtube and google for my reasearch and have seen mixed results.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:21am
The level 2 with its gtx 970 can definitely play on a 1440p, but not at max settings and frames near 60fps.    High settings or other in game tweaks should be fine both in fps and visuals.   

If your plans are still to drop in a gtx 1070 or 1080 then even better. The rest of the rig can handle it.    

Edited by bprat22 - 18 May 2016 at 2:37am
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:40am
Alright great, thanks for your help i think ive found my next pc
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 1:42am
Looks like ill end up going with a Vanquish build

Ive been shopping around and Digital Storm definitely does the best work for the cost. I'm from Norcal, I got family that lives in the bay, within 20 minutes of Fremont so i want to support the local guys.

*************er and ***********er can do it a little cheaper but their support sucks, their build quality sucks and its not worth it at all.

I really want the Corsair 760T case in white which is the apollo, but the problem with that is the premium that DS charges. I am little disappointed in the premium that DS is charging here, as i said before i know they got to make their money, but such a big premium on a case is a killer for me. I'm disappointed but i know DS is in the business to make money so im not trying to rag on them.

A vanquish with the same specs is $1,444 while an Apollo with the same specs is $1,762

I understand that DS needs to make their money, but a $322 difference on a case that is $110 more according to Newegg loses me.

So ill be going with a vanquish, slim chance i stick to the Apollo at this point. I really wanted a case where the side panel is easy to open. My current one blows and im worried the Vanquish Case will give me the same problems.

Now its time to save up, just wanted to thank everyone here for all the help you guys have provided and when i order from DS i will mention how helpful all of you were.

Thanks again guys, cant wait until i can order my PC

Ive narrowed it down to my needs and its going to be an overclocked i5 6600k and a GTX 1070 when they are out and available.

I just hope the 750w PSU is enough for SLI, if its not i might save up a little more and get a 1080

Really want to hit that 1440p performance with this PC. 4k would be nice but even the 1080 isnt there yet.

It will take me a few months as im just a Comp Sci Major looking for a solid PC, might spring for the 6700k but i cant wait to order from DS.

Thanks again to everybody who commented in here, i hope DS understand how helpful you guys were.

removed competitor's names...

Edited by Snaike - 23 May 2016 at 2:00am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 2:08am
2 things, if I may...

The 230T Corsair case for the Vanquish line is extremely easy to open and access. I have mine open at least once a month for the last 2 years for cleaning and whatnot. Have never had an issue.

As for the "premium" DS charges; it's not for the case. The Vanquish line has always been the budget model. So much so that up until the Vanquish 5, other than the basic level changes, you were not able to customize any part of it. The Vanquish was the pre-built line that could be "out the door" the fastest as there wasn't much else to do besides test it.

Now, apparently, with the V5, they've added some customization, but not much. Where the Apollo and the rest of the machines are specifically built to order taking more time, more man-hours and more resources.

~THAT~ is the premium difference between the cost of the Apollo and the cost of the Vanquish.

Hope that info helps.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 2:36am
Really no bad choices here at DS.   Just a matter of trying to get the best bang for your buck, and the Vanquish hits that mark.    Fully custom builds do offer a lot more selections if budget allows, but not necessary for a real nice gaming experience.

The 750 watt psu should handle sli 1070 if and when you decide, but some sites do recommend an 850watt for over locked CPU and decent overhead.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Edited by bprat22 - 23 May 2016 at 2:40am
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:02pm
Does the Mobo that comes with the Vanquish support SLI? Im assuming it does not. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 11:39pm
Last I heard, the Vanquish mobo's do not support sli.
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Snaike

2 things, if I may...

The 230T Corsair case for the Vanquish line is extremely easy to open and access. I have mine open at least once a month for the last 2 years for cleaning and whatnot. Have never had an issue.

As for the "premium" DS charges; it's not for the case. The Vanquish line has always been the budget model. So much so that up until the Vanquish 5, other than the basic level changes, you were not able to customize any part of it. The Vanquish was the pre-built line that could be "out the door" the fastest as there wasn't much else to do besides test it.

Now, apparently, with the V5, they've added some customization, but not much. Where the Apollo and the rest of the machines are specifically built to order taking more time, more man-hours and more resources.

~THAT~ is the premium difference between the cost of the Apollo and the cost of the Vanquish.

Hope that info helps.   

My current PC case is a Zalman Z11 plus hifi and the side panel slides back on and you use a thumb screw to secure it. My beef with it is the side panel doesnt seem to slide on properly and its a pain to get the panel to line up with the screw in holes. Its got to the point where it takes me several minutes to get it to line up properly LOL Oops and its frustrating. Is probably my own fault to be honest but oh well i can live with it.

That was my concern with the corsair 230 case vs the 760t, the 760t is a simple hatch design.

I really like the apollo, but my main reasoning for wanting it is the side hatch design and the ample space. Also wanted purple led's and white cable management but i feel like i dont really need that either. I dont ever plan to do any water cooling so i feel like the Vanquish is the best bet.

I tend to play mostly titles you would get on consoles with my pc friends, usually throw in rocket league, Age of Empires 2 etc, games which are not that demanding. More triple A games too, games like Rise Of The Tomb Raider, The Division, Battlefield etc.

I think a Vanquish with an I5 6500 paired up with a GTX 1070 or 1080 would suit my needs, assuming the 6500 can handle 1440p gaming. Also trying to figure out which motherboards they use for it so i can read up on the features and see if the z170 is needed or not. I know the restrictions of them, i.e. no sli, no OC, stuck with one ram speed, but want to read up on usb ports, video resolution support etc.

If an I5 6500 paired with an 1070 or 1080 can handle 1440p gaming on basically less cpu demanding console titles im set. Based on the feedback here it sounds like it can. From what ive read, you really only need more CPU power in more open world games where it has to render more on screen and i honestly dont play games like Minecraft, Witcher 3, or MMO's and im currently using a stock i5 4670k and its only 3.4 ghz and it runs everything just fine.  I could also drop to 1080p if i had to in order to get more stable FPS.

Anyway ive taken up enough of everyone's time, thanks again for the suggestions and help, especially the poster who said mentioned the Vanquish.

Edited by Dovaogedy - 28 May 2016 at 12:13am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:26am
an I5 6500 isn't going to bottleneck either the 1070 or the 1080.  it's just missing the "k" sku so you can't oc it.  it's still plenty fast at stock speed.  honestly, no modern quad core will bottleneck any modern high end gpu. you CAN go with an H110, B150, Q150, H170, Q170 or Z170 board.  every one except for the Z170 is limited to BCLK overclocking only (multiplier is locked).   USB 3.0 ports are limited to 4 (H110), 6 (B150), 8 (Q150, H170), and 10 (Q170, Z170).  Max SATA 3.0 ports are: 4 (H110) and 6 (rest).  PCIe 3.0 is limited to 1x16 on all but Q170/Z170 (where you get the full compliment of 1x16; 1x8; 2x8; 2x4).  no SATA raid support for anything below H170.  the PCH PCI Express configuration (pcie lanes from the chipset) is: 6x2.0 (H110); 8x3.0 (B150); 10x3.0 (Q150); 16x3.0 (H170); 20x3.0 (Q170/Z170).

another thing of note is that H110 uses the old (DMI 2.0) interface and link speed is 5.0GB/s; whereas the rest use DMI 3.0 at 7.9GB/s. 

Edited by db188 - 28 May 2016 at 2:33am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:07am
And to add on to what db188 said about the non-K. It isn't able to overclock, but most motherboards now have what is called Multicore Enhancement. The settings by default in the motherboard will cause the processor to run all of the cores in the processor at maximum boost speed, instead of Intel's configuration to just run one core and drop it down when more than one core is boosted.
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by db188

an I5 6500 isn't going to bottleneck either the 1070 or the 1080.  it's just missing the "k" sku so you can't oc it.  it's still plenty fast at stock speed.  honestly, no modern quad core will bottleneck any modern high end gpu. you CAN go with an H110, B150, Q150, H170, Q170 or Z170 board.  every one except for the Z170 is limited to BCLK overclocking only (multiplier is locked).   USB 3.0 ports are limited to 4 (H110), 6 (B150), 8 (Q150, H170), and 10 (Q170, Z170).  Max SATA 3.0 ports are: 4 (H110) and 6 (rest).  PCIe 3.0 is limited to 1x16 on all but Q170/Z170 (where you get the full compliment of 1x16; 1x8; 2x8; 2x4).  no SATA raid support for anything below H170.  the PCH PCI Express configuration (pcie lanes from the chipset) is: 6x2.0 (H110); 8x3.0 (B150); 10x3.0 (Q150); 16x3.0 (H170); 20x3.0 (Q170/Z170).

another thing of note is that H110 uses the old (DMI 2.0) interface and link speed is 5.0GB/s; whereas the rest use DMI 3.0 at 7.9GB/s. 

You're the man, thanks a lot. I had been looking up H110 boards on Newegg trying to figure this out.

Vanquish 2 Level 2 will be the one

Thanks again guys
 Post Reply Post Reply