FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super powerful machine, but as quiet as possible

Post Date: 2015-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Super powerful machine, but as quiet as possible
    Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 11:39am
Hey Folks,

I'm a long-time Digital Storm fan, and I enjoyed my previous rig for a whopping 7 years! My old machine had triple-SLI, and I loved it. However, I always wished it was more quiet.

Now I'm getting ready to purchase a new machine, and here is my criteria:

• High-end CPU, overclocked, and liquid cooled. As fast as possible.
• CPU should be best for gaming, not workstation tasks
• Three GTX 980Ti video cards (maybe liquid cooled)
• 32 GB of high performance memory
• 500 GB SSD
• As quiet as possible
• My desire is to hit 100 FPS on all games, using max quality, at 3440 x 1440 resolution
• For now, let's assume the budget is unlimited

That leads me to a few questions:

1) Will liquid cooled video cards be significantly more quiet than air cooled? If you have personal experience with this, then I would love to hear your opinion.

2) I was looking at the Slade model. It seems promising, but I don't see an option on that machine for liquid cooling the video cards. Maybe the case doesn't have enough space for that?

3) The Aventum 3 looks amazing, but it sure look noisy with all of those fans. Does anyone know how noisy it is?

4) Is there anything else I should consider for reducing noise? Does an intelligent fan controller help?

5) Given the specs above, what would be your ultimate configuration?

Thanks for your opinions. I'm sooooooo looking forward to my next machine.

James
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:16pm
1) It can definitely be. The more radiator area, the slower the fans can run and the quieter the system will be.

2) It could be possible, but I'm guessing that DS doesn't deem it worth the compromise with everything else in the case.

3) As I mentioned above, the more fans, the slower they can run (I turn my fans off completely as low temperatures, although I'm not sure if the fan control board can do that).

4) Semi-fanless PSU would help where at low loads it can stop the fan, too.

5) Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1325858
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: DELAY: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (DELAY OF 5-10 ADDITIONAL DAYS)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

You can easily add in more storage as you need it, but I put in the 400GB (you can upgrade it to the 1.2TB if you want) Intel NVMe PCI-e SSD that is much higher performing than the SATA drives. You only need two 980 Ti cards to get to 100+ FPS at 3440 x 1440; three may cause additional micro-jittering (frame-to-frame timing variances) and not necessary. I also recommend the Z170 for better single thread performance (which games typically use) and better I/O. Z170 platforms also only supports up to two GPUs, but as DirectX 12 is developed for, the explicit multi-adapter technology will allow the otherwise unused integrated GPU in the CPU to function as a third GPU (not as powerful, but much lower latencies and different compute strengths).

I was just talking to Panasonic about the capabilities of the UJ-265 slot-load Blu-Ray drive that came with my Bolt 2 and, according to the support person, it should play (using the appropriate play-back software) the upcoming two- and three-layer UltraHD Blu-Ray disks.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 3:40pm
if you want 3-way sli you're going to have to go X99 or wait for the HEDT versions of Skylake-E. 

that being said my recommendations:

1) I7-5930K (for the 40 pcie lanes and only being a 6-core makes it easier to oc)
2) one of the higher end mobos (i.e. Asus Deluxe or RVE)
3) memory that can oc or at minimum have an XMP (i.e. Corsair LPX or better)
4) high speed pcie NVMe storage (os+games) like the Intel 750
5) you can't beat a Corsair AX1200i psu
6) high performance case and rad fans.  you need static pressure fans for rads and places in the case that hinder air flow.  they push air thru stuff better, but they're usually louder.  you will probably have to special order if you want the most optimal fan config (i did).  i went with Cougar CFD14 (x13) and CFD12 (x2) in my Aventum.  i haven't received it yet, so i can't give feedback on how "quiet" it is or how well it cools.  i have my cpu and 2 vid cards under water.
7) a custom open water loop will perform better both thermally and acoustically (depending on the components you select) than any other config you can imagine. 
8) fan controllers make it more convenient, but they aren't necessary.  you can set up a fan profile in you bios or via a 3rd party software (i.e. Speedfan), although they can be a pain in the rear at times. 

Edited by db188 - 27 Nov 2015 at 3:44pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply