FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox, 980ti temps/fan curve etc (questions)

Post Date: 2016-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Turbatus View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox, 980ti temps/fan curve etc (questions)
    Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 3:57am
So, I've had some time to add and play some games, and I'm looking for some better advice than "well my X only gets to 50c. check your airflow"... It's the freaking Velox... Thing is nothing but airflow...

But I am curious as to why the top 2 fans are intake, facing the top of the gpu, which has 3 fans blowing up to those intake fans... That seems a little counter productive, but that's my know nothing assumption, and I'm curious as to how that works...

Also, what kind of temps should I be looking for on my gpu? With the stock fan curve it sits at ~83c, but I keep hearing how bad that is, etc etc... So I set one to where fans are at 90% at 75c... I guess I just had the mindset that not much should be making this card work at all for like a year lol... What would be a more ideal fan curve setting? (I like the fans being off at idle, which is around 40c-47c depending on temp in the room)

Thanks!
Velox
i7-5930k
ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
GeForce GTX 980ti 6GB (Strix)
Noctua NH-D15
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 4:06am
I also would think the top fans would be on exhaust, but DS has said in the past that it depends on their test results.    I would want the side fans blowing on the cards and the top fans on exhaust.   

Any fan curve I've done with Precision was a one on one, meaning 60 degrees at 60%, 70 degrees at 70%' etc.   Everyone would need to do their own.

Problem with sli Strix is the heat from both cards empty into the case, and not out the back like reference single fan cards.    The top card, even with decent airflow, causes some to see the top card get into the 80's.    I would shoot for mid 70's.   

I would think the Velox with top and side fans wouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Thought you had sli. Single Strix shouldn't be too hard to keep the temps in the 70's or lower in my opinion. I'd swap the fans around and see.

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Feb 2016 at 4:08am
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 4:26am
What side fans are you referring to? o.o The front and back? I've got the one cpu fan on the other side of the divider, 3 front fans as intake, 2 top fans as intake, 1 back fan as exhaust (I do like how the front pushes cool air to the DH-15, and the DH-15 pushes it right to the exhaust in a straight line :p)

I tried that one on one setting you mentioned and it happily climbs to 80 still... The only one that kept it at like 73 was aggressive as asterix... like 99% fan speed at 75 degrees... Then I get responses like "you shouldn't need to run them more than 50%!"

ffs... So much confusion...

In regards to the top fans however, I'll try putting them to exhaust on Tuesday... What could possibly go wrong?

P.S. I played with my curve a little more... (This is in CSGO, 3840x2860 DSR res, maxed out, and no fps limit)
I peaked at 79c, fan speed peaked at 95%... I didn't tell the people telling me it shouldn't be getting that warm my res... If that has anything to do with it...

Edited by Turbatus - 28 Feb 2016 at 4:55am
Velox
i7-5930k
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
Noctua NH-D15
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:14am
I thought the Velox had 2 side fans pointing right at the graphics cards.  Maybe no side fans with Noctua?  That to me is the biggest benefits of the Velox for those on air. 

Anything in the 70's is good in my opinion.  Even the low 80's is safe and can be run all day, but throttling happens at some point.  Not sure the throttle point for your card.  The throttling isn't all that much for some cards, but again, not sure with 980 ti.

Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:31am
The front fans, 1 1/2 facing the gpu, the other 1 1/2 face the dh-15 so it does have that...

So high 70s, and fans at 95% won't "hurt" anything or shorten the lifespan by any notable amount of time? I mean I want to use my gpu to its fullest, but not abuse it, if that makes sense? (I wan't it to at least make it to pascal, ideally a while after when the prices start slowly coming down, which could be a VERY long time lol)

But I do think (despite having nowhere near the expertise DS has) that making the top exhaust would be a good move, as right now, with the intake in front, and top, and the gpu fans facing above the exhaust, it just pushes that hot air to that corner of the case over the gpu...
Velox
i7-5930k
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
Noctua NH-D15
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:44am
Here is my terrible picture, and crudely drawn idea of what's going on with airflow...

There's a USB expansion card right above the 3rd (or 1st) fan, hence the pitchfork... It only covers 1/4 of the fan, however.

Edited by Turbatus - 28 Feb 2016 at 5:45am
Velox
i7-5930k
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
Noctua NH-D15
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:16am
Maxing the fans out might lessen longevity of the fan, but a few years should be good to go.  Tough to say with the fans.  Some fans run at max all the time and never need replacing.    I have case and an A70 air cooler's  fans that have been running at near max for years and never had to replace one. 

I would set the fans on the card to their lowest setting while staying 79 C or less.   I wouldn't think 95% rpm is needed, but every setup is different. 

Edit.. so there's no side fan next to the cards?   Any room to mount even a single 120mm fan?  Side fans, from my experience, make a huge difference for the graphics cards. 

Love your pic.  Hahaha      Kidding, I do get the idea.    I'd put the top fans pointing out. 

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Feb 2016 at 7:21am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 8:45am
Hi Turbatus,

I don't think that DS provides the side fans that blow onto the GPUs as standard. If you have two fan mounting perforations on the front of the case then you can add two 120, maybe 140, fans on the inside front. I thought at one time I saw a Velox that had a plane front with no mountings for fans. Don't know for sure.

I think the reason that DS has the top fans set as input is to help pressurize the case. The Velox is a leaky case with all of the ventilation holes. Positive pressure will help keep the dust out of the case.

If it was me and the two side fan mountings are there, I would add the two side fans and change the top fans to exhaust. Then adjust your fan speeds.

Maybe Nav will see this thread and give us some insight.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 28 Feb 2016 at 12:36pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 9:14am
The Velox specs do mention the 2x right side door fans.  Could be they mean the option is there but not listed an an option.     Oh, well.  Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 9:28am
Just thinking, with the inverted mobo, the Strix fans point up and are intakes.  The top fans in the Velox might be blowing in to feed fresh air right into the fans.  With no side fans, that might be a better setup.  Not sure.   Trying the fans both ways will tell if there's any benefit one way or the other.  

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Feb 2016 at 9:31am
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 10:17am
I don't have any spots for fans on the side. :s

So those are actually intakes on the strix, or is that a thought?
Velox
i7-5930k
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
Noctua NH-D15
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 10:18am
Graphics card's fans are all intake.  
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 12:07pm
Then I'm an idiot lmao... I assumed they were all exhaust to get heat out, not bring in cool air. That being the case, I can understand why the top two on the case are intake...

But ya, if I lower the res to 1080 its much cooler... I just didn't know it was in 4k dsr lol (trusted nvidia to optimize my settings)

On another note, will the gpu work harder on true 4k than 4k dsr, less, or about the same?
Velox
i7-5930k
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
Noctua NH-D15
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 2:10pm
I would think harder on 4K and potentially higher temps, than down sampling to 1080p.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:17pm
reference nvidia cards use a blower that pushes hot air out the rear of the card, but these custom cards use multi intake fans that push cool air through the heat sink in a downward direction and have a directed flow path kind of in a down and out the sides direction that wicks the heat away from the gpu and into the case where case fans are then expected to push the hot air out of the case.  water-cooled gpus move the heat through the liquid to the rads and the rad fans push or push/pull it out of the rig.

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I would think harder on 4K and potentially higher temps, than down sampling to 1080p.

So in other words, true 4k would be possibly out of the question with just 980ti?

Originally posted by db188

reference nvidia cards use a blower that pushes hot air out the rear of the card, but these custom cards use multi intake fans that push cool air through the heat sink in a downward direction and have a directed flow path kind of in a down and out the sides direction that wicks the heat away from the gpu and into the case where case fans are then expected to push the hot air out of the case.  water-cooled gpus move the heat through the liquid to the rads and the rad fans push or push/pull it out of the rig.

So with the heat sink being in the front, is it safe to assume that the hot air is exhausted to it, then blown downward and out through the DH-15 fans, and out of the case? Or could the case intakes be blowing the hot air the card wicks out right back on the gpu?
Velox
i7-5930k
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
Noctua NH-D15
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 12:42am
that's the thing with air cooling.  you have to make sure all fans work in synergy.  you'd like to avoid a situation where hot gpu air is blown all over your cpu and vice versa.  the main thing is to get all hot air out of the case asap.  you want a balanced fan config.  if you had all of your case fans config'd as intakes two things would happen: 1) the fans would work against one another; 2) too much positive pressure would suck in air through every crevice and bring dust along with it.  you'd have to pretty much line your entire case with dust-catching mesh.

if you put all exhaust fans in your case, you'd: 1) again have the fans working against one another; 2) create a negative case pressure situation.  fans don't create air they move it.  negative case pressure relative to the surrounding environment causes air to be pulled in, again, thru all of the cracks and you get the same dust control problem.  you want to lean towards positive case pressure, but overall you should be looking for a balanced config between intake and exhaust.  you can control dust better this way by putting dust catching mesh on intake fans typically front of case and bottom of case.  exhaust is typically rear of case and top of case.  

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Turbatus

[QUOTE=bprat22] I would think harder on 4K and potentially higher temps, than down sampling to 1080p.

So in other words, true 4k would be possibly out of the question with just 980ti?

A single 980 ti will run a 4K display. It does work harder than a sli setup with potentially higher temps and in game settings turned down where needed. But still looks decent.   People are running 4K with 970 and 980s. Not ideal for those that want high to max settings but still works.
 Post Reply Post Reply