Post Date: 2015-09-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Facie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Facie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox Build Questions
    Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 6:21am
I'm looking at the Velox and had a couple of questions.

1. It looks like the side of the case is permanently open (no window or plastic). Is that correct? If so, then, I have the following questions:
   A. Doesn't that make it a lot easier for dust, hair, etc to get into the machine? Of course, I suppose it makes it easier to get a can of air in there, but I wondering if dust is a bigger problem with an open case.
   B. Noise. Doesn't that make the internal noise much more noticeable?
   C. What's the point of paying for the additional noise dampening upgrade is the side is wide open?

2. On a related front to question 1.C, I currently have -------- and it's LOUD. What are folks' experience with the Velox build for noise?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Facie

Competitor name removed.

Edited by Snaike - 21 Sep 2015 at 1:17am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 6:30am
Hi Facie and Welcome to the forums.
The Velox does have a side panel.   The pics show it removed to show off the internals.

Here's a side shot with the panel.....  Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 6:31am
Plastic window I believe. 

I don't believe there is any spot to install sound deadening material.  The option is generic across all the builds. 

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Sep 2015 at 6:32am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:02am
Hi Facie,

What is noisy to you may be quite to someone else. Noise comes from fans, coolers, GPUs and power supplies. Currant PS are relative quiet and you can pick quiet fans. The latest GPUs don't kick in a fan unless it is really stressed. If you want a gaming machine then you will have a certain level of noise that is acceptable to gamers.

You need to set your priorities as to what is most important to you. If noise is at the top of your list them you need to build accordingly. The Velox case is a super design for air cooling with high performance. With all of the perforations in the case you don't block much of the noise. Usually the Velox noise level is not bad and only loud at major levels of gaming.

If I was concerned with noise levels then I would be looking at a Slade Build. It is designed with quiet performance in mind. It uses a relatively closed case with sound insulation. The problem is if you block noise you also block heat. So the thermals in the Slade are not as good as some other cases. It is not a problem as DS makes sure the thermals are under control with your build.

Frank
Facie View Drop Down

Quote Facie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:41am
Frank -

Thanks for the quick and intelligent response. I appreciate it.

I agree that "noise" is relative. But, I'm telling ya, my ------- is insanely LOUD by any subjective standard. LOL.

Then again, it's a much older machine. I'm long overdue for an upgrade (hence my poking around here).

;-)

Competitor name removed.

Edited by Snaike - 21 Sep 2015 at 1:19am
Facie View Drop Down

Quote Facie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:59am
The Slade may be the way to go. Thanks for the tip. One question, it comes with a 750W power supply. If I want to add another 980Ti at a later date, will that be a big enough power?

Thanks!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 9:42am
The Slade is a custom build so you can pick and choose what components you want. I would select the 850w Super Nova. If you tell us your budget, you monitor resolution and your use/requirements, we can suggest some Slade builds for your consideration.

Frank
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 10:06am
I went with a Slade build. Even though it sacrifices airflow for a quieter system, if you need to you can give up some of the sound dampening for more airflow (remove the small side panel, add a fan or two). Also the case was less expensive than the Velox so I was able to spend a few more dollars on the components I wanted.

I only purchased a single 980ti but upgraded the psu to the Corsair 1000w so I can add a second card down the road.

Also if you are getting a 980ti I recommend the Asus strix edition as it is only a few dollars more and comes factory overclocked.

Edited by jackbutler68 - 20 Sep 2015 at 10:12am
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 7:11pm
i honestly wouldn't recommend the "Slade" Corsair 550D "quiet" case to a "gamer".  as a gamer, you will typically run your system under load for hours at a time, building up a lot of heat.  an insulated case, known for sub par thermals (per several industry reviews) isn't exactly the case to build in with multi graphic's cards and hot, high-end oc'd components.  go with a more all-around performer like the "Apollo" Corsair 760T full-sized ATX case.  it has sub-30db (low fans) and sub-40db (high fans) fans with excellent-reviewed cooling performance both with average and "enthusiast" level hardware installed.  the case comes with 2x 140mm intake fans and 1x 140mm exhaust fan factory installed.  it has several water cooling options (up to 360mm radiator support) available. 

if you're looking for a quiet work station, go for the Slade.

Edited by db188 - 20 Sep 2015 at 7:15pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 7:41pm
I am not sure why no one said this to me when I posted my configuration and said it was for gaming.....I hope I dont run into trouble with heat issues. I will not be very happy.....and I am getting a bit worried with all your negative posts on the Slade as a gaming case.....
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:01pm
You can get a Slade to work in a gaming capacity if you are doing a water cooled configuration. You could either do a Hydrolux or do all all-in-one (AIO) coolers (like a H110i GT and EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid GPUs) where all of the radiators are mounted to be cooled with air directly from the outside of the case. Keep in mind this won't be the quietest possible configuration for the Slade as those will cool the CPU with air from inside the case and have the top panel closed.

Here's an example configuration of a Slade that can handle 4K gaming:

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1285355
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 3 (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (EVGA HYBRID Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

But the Velox shouldn't be too loud, either. The fans can be kept relatively low speed as there are so many of them moving a lot of air through the case. I'm sure it will be much quieter than your current set-up.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by jackbutler68

I am not sure why no one said this to me when I posted my configuration and said it was for gaming.....I hope I dont run into trouble with heat issues. I will not be very happy.....and I am getting a bit worried with all your negative posts on the Slade as a gaming case.....

If you only have one GPU, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's when you have multiple that you can run into issues.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:07pm
Yeah but I wanted the option of adding another later. Hopefully it can handle 2.....lol

And I am doing a water cooled cpu with a 240mm radiator.

Edited by jackbutler68 - 20 Sep 2015 at 8:09pm
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:11pm
Sorry Facie didn't mean to hijack your thread.......
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:30pm
There is a side panel that you can remove if it gets too hot for the GPUs. If that doesn't work, you can either add fans to the side panel or do a mod to the panel to try to open it up even further for more ventilation. You can also look at water cooling the GPUs, too, but with ASUS you will void the warranty if you remove or modify the cooler.

The 240mm rad for your GPU will be sitting up top with that panel open breathing in fresh air.

Edited by  - 20 Sep 2015 at 8:32pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:37pm
Yes I knew about all of that and mentioned it earlier in this thread. From what I read it can be a silent case or a performance case with the panels removed and fans added but db188 keeps shooting it down as a gaming case even when I mention that so I was beginning to get a bit worried....lol

Edited by jackbutler68 - 20 Sep 2015 at 8:38pm
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 11:06pm
why do all of that to a "silent" case?  it defeats the purpose and there are much better options (as i have pointed out) for "all around performance".  to make the Corsair 550D cool near the Corsair 760T (for example) you'd have to entirely remove everything that makes it a "silent" case.  in fact, i bet at that point the 760T is actually more quiet.  the HardOCP review had sound at and annoying 59db with the side panel removed!  the saving grace is that you can run the interior fans at high rpm (due to the insulation) and keep the noise at 29db. 

can you water cool a 550D?  yes, with careful choosing of the right radiators and fans.  even though you can get a 240mm rad in the top, it has to be a "thin" radiator with thin 120mm fans. read this article: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/08/corsair_obsidian_series_550d_midtower_case_review/5#.Vf-Zg5fNWCg

now let's compare that to a review of the 760T: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/01/corsair_graphite_760t_full_tower_case_review/#.Vf9nv5fNWCh

@jackbutler68, i've given this advice freely to anyone whose config showed a 550D case in it.  as this person didn't really specify what exactly the needs were or what this computer would primarily be used for, i tailored my advice towards both gaming and productivity.  this person is under no obligation to follow my advice.  i have no agenda if that is what is being implied.  i simply pointed out that the 550D trades excellent noise suppression at the cost of middling (at best) thermal performance if configured for noise suppression.  if configured for thermal performance, there are far better choices to be made out there (and on this site).  i'll leave it at that.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:42am
I wasn't implying anything. Everyone has their opinion and that's what people are asking for. Ultimately they will choose what they believe is best for them.

I chose this case because of the price, not because it was a "silent" case. I was getting a little worried about cooling with the comments you made, that's all. After reading up on it further I do not believe i will have any issues so I am happy.

You want to hear a loud case, you should hear my ------- with the fans cranked up. Like a jet taking off...LOL

Again Facie, sorry for hijacking your thread but it does give you some ideas about cases. Whatever you choose I am sure it will be fine and Digital Storm will build you a great computer.

Removed competitor's name.

Edited by Snaike - 21 Sep 2015 at 7:44am
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
 Post Reply Post Reply