Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Beezie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config ordering soon
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 5:25pm
Hey
i will order a pc soon and i figured out a spec that looks good but I am not sure about the cooling or the Power supply
the pc is for gaming so my budget is about $6-7.500 With 3x LCD screen setup DS offer
this build takes me a little over 7.500
if you have any other improvements or other thing`s i should look at changing please let me know

Thanks

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Paint Chassis Vents and Grills (Red)
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-128GBG2D)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD2001FASS)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player (Play Blu-Ray and Play DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (PhysX Tech.) (EVGA SuperClocked+ 015-P3-1485-AR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD 7.1 (24-bit 192KHz) (Model: AZTHTHD02817) (PCI-Express Slot)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler HOT SELLER (120mm Radiator) (Great Value)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: HailStorm & 950Si: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Nero Express CD Writing Suite
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: 3x Triple Acer 3D Panels 23.6 inch GD235HZ (NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Setup + 1x 3D Glasses)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:17pm
i would change several things

first would be the cpu cooler, change that to a noctua u12p
the Chassis Mod you chose isnt for your case

whats up with the 3 monitors? do you want to play 3d games on 3 screens so bad that its worth 5k more then you need to spend to game?
how many games can even be played in this format?

2 2tb drives? that is a silly amount of space.. what exactly do you plan to do with all of it? save 600 dvds?

i think we should start over
what do you plan to do with this computer? specifically?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:13pm
most new games support 3d on 3 monitors.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:23pm

i didnt know that, i avoid 3d like an std

have you tried any of these justin? i want to hear someone say that these games in 3d justify the price tag..
you better be able to feel the sun on your face for $1300
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:51pm

3d is the future, no doubt about it, but it is being adopted slowly and it seems to be pretty buggy from what I have heard, I have only seen one demoed, freaking cool though. lol

Beezie View Drop Down

Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 3:23am
The computer will be used for online gaming and Photoshop, i am an avid gamer and i am working with Photo manipulation in the side together with watching movie`s and music
i don`t have to take the 3screens, i just like to have multiple screens i got 2now but they have to be replaced since they don`t support any higher resolution then 1400(i think) i want new ones to handle HD and 1900+ resolution
if we concentrate on the pc and set the budget to $4.000-4.900 What set-up would  you recommend?

2x2TB silly space? i like to have a decent amount of space since i have a lot of music and movie`s on external hardrives. But if you have any other option in mind please share it

Edited by Beezie - 12 Aug 2010 at 8:24am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 9:00am
well i guess storage space is relative to each person, i just get so shocked when anyone even wants 1tb .. i dont understand what people are doing with all this space, even with movie editing ive rarely gone over 300gb total!
but you know what you need better than me, your budget is WAY over the sweet spot for a solid gaming rig

alright so heres a good start for you,

this would definitely do all of the things you listed with no hiccup at all, but theres plenty of room left in your budget to add some more storage or other things as you see fit.
now to address your options individually

for the needs you listed:
you would never know the difference between a i7 930 and that 980, its just too much overkill for almost anyone to use, and furthermore, its such an insanely overpriced chip, that it wouldnt be worth getting for most people who could use it

i left you with the rampage iii board because its definitely within your budget and you already picked it. the rampage iii is a really good board but unless you are buying the brand or from personal preference then the evga le will show little difference for your needs. the usb3/sata6 stuff is not really... real

as far as SSDs right now intel is really leading the pack by a long shot, stick with intels 40/80/160 SSDs.

the space thing like i said is preference, i havent really heard much positive feedback from HDDs that are over 1tb. and since these are for storage, you can get the cheaper ones

bluray player is a cool choice if youll actually use it, but its expensive so keep that in mind

unless you go over 2 monitors, theres little to no reason to go to 3 480s over just 2. you simply wouldnt use the tech unless you really want to do that nvidia 3 screen deal, but i cant even discuss that really becuase i think the whole idea is a sick waste of money, but this is just personal preference
i believe if you went to 3 you may need a 1500w psu, im not sure
side note- stay away from the pre-overclocked cards. paying a mfg for an overclock is a pretty serious no no these days. its really easy to do yourself and 3 of those babys will sound like multiple helicopters if they are overclocked as high as they should be

the cooling that you chose is not really in line with the amount of money youre spending on everything else, at the very least you should get the noctua u12p, its pretty much the market leader for air cooling and value right now so its really hard to beat
if you insist on going with the 980x processor, i would suggest you get real liquid cooling, which is stage4+

most of the cases these days do not need any more fans than they have, in your case the 932 needs 0 help with cooling, but if you wanted to beef it up a little talk to dso about what you could buy to replace the rear exhaust as it is the weakest part of the cooling system

the chassis mod you chose doesnt match your case and, like i said, the 932 doesnt need any help cooling anyway

Display: 3x Triple Acer 3D Panels 23.6 inch GD235HZ
as far as this thing.. i dont know, i cant get behind it for how much it costs, for half of the price of this you could get a nice big 3d monitor to game on and a 2nd monitor for productivity/multitasking. i cant imagine this being worth the space and cost it would take
Beezie View Drop Down

Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 10:18am
First i can not thank you enough for taking the time to help me out, i am a fairly experienced pc user but the amount of parts and set-ups can be confusing so i appreciate the help

1)on the space thing, i have a large movie collection together with a even larger music collection so some extra space in the rig is exactly what i need

2)i don`t need the Triple Acer 3d Panels, when i sit back and view what you have said i would agree with you it is a LOT of money and you have to up the config on the rig as well but before i decide do i have to change the motherboard if i would decide to go for 3x480`s and 3Triple acer Panels and the cooling or just to the 1500W?

3) i don`t need the 980x i have been reading the forums here most of the day and just realised the 930 can do the same job (as you have pointed out you saved me some money there)

4) I am from North Europe making the shipping and custom a bit more expensive so sticking to a rig around 3k would suit me well since it can do the job more then good enough(and with the dollar price)

on a side note, the 480 graphic card are good enough on a 2x SLI to handle 2monitors without any problems?

the rig i am using now is a Dell XP5 series with have been working for about 7 years it will be nice to change it into a new one

EDIT: do the weaking of the OS make any difference worth mentioning?
Same question about the DS boost for the video cards

Edited by Beezie - 12 Aug 2010 at 10:44am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:13am

yes, using dual monitors typically means that you will be doing any graphically intense stuff on only one of them, so 2 480s will push any modern resolution on a single monitor with no problem. i personally think that 1920x1080p is the way to go for monitors right now, and you can find these up to 24ish inch too

if it were me, and money were no object, i would probably get 2 23ish inch 1920x1080 120hz from LG or Samsung monitors and have them individually mounted on 2 arms like this (link) that way you can have them RIGHT next to eachother, and/or move one more out of the way when you arent using it, plus it just looks sweet and keeps your desk clear

in your price range though you can check out the IPS monitors... though i dont know if any of those are 3d capable, i dont think they are but im not sure

a single 480 would actually easily support 2 monitors at 1920x___

i would avoid the os tweak, windows 7 doesnt need any tweaking, and if you want things turned off they are very easy to do on your own

same with the video card overclock, its easy to do on your own and will just add unnessesary noise and heat to your build. not to mention dual 480s will not need to be overclocked for a while, so no reason to shorten thier life now. wait, and overclock them when (if) you need to
Beezie View Drop Down

Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:34am
OK thanks
Will stick to 2x 480SLi and buy 2 monitors on the side, probably from Samsung
the 3screen rig is to expensive
have send`t and e-mail to DigitalStorm for info about shipping to Europe

as the rig looks now
Ticket Number: 431440
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,381.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=431440
you have been very helpful

Thanks

Edited by Beezie - 12 Aug 2010 at 11:38am
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:38am
If you're picking it for the USB 3.0 you can just get an add-on USB 3.0 PCIe card for very cheap. If you're picking it for the SATA III 6Gb/s, don't.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:49am
yea no worrys i told him already 

build looks good!Strong

Edited by !ender_ - 12 Aug 2010 at 11:50am
Beezie View Drop Down

Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 11:53am
For Monitor`s i am going for
2x Samsung 23"LED Syncmaster XL2370
1920x1080 DVI/HDMI/VGA 5000000:1 2ms they cost about $278 each delivered home
Beezie View Drop Down

Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:26pm
I was not able to find any good 3d monitors above 23" the one from samsung that the Scandinavian Internet shop had did not suport 1080p the Acer one are not available in EU currently

if you know any monitors (3d 120hz with good picture quality) please let me know

EDIT: keep in mind that i am from EU so most of the US shops dont even ship over for a reasonable price

only alternative i was able to see was the Alienware one

Edited by Beezie - 13 Aug 2010 at 3:29pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:48pm
sorry id love to help but im no good with 3d :(
i like the samsungs you posted Big%20Smile
Beezie View Drop Down

Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:59pm
Ye the 2 samsung syncmaster looks like a very good choice the 3d tecnology is still very young and its limited and will be for some time

Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:04pm
3d really wont be great for soem tiem sicne there arent many panels out yet. these need time to develop it will be a couple of years before we see really great 3d monitors/tvs.

i heard this from my movie theatre set up guy since i was wondering if should switch out my pioneer elite naruto edition for a 3d one. he also told em the gpu on the tvs ( not sure if this inc monitors) is not developed enough to have great 3d experiences and thats when he told me wait a few years. how ever the interesting fact he told me was that when the 3d tech is fully ready they will display 2d images much better then your normal 2d monitor as well as having great 3d

Edited by Raif - 13 Aug 2010 at 4:06pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
Beezie View Drop Down

Quote Beezie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:11pm
yea, i just asked here if i had missed a good screen or two by any chance but as it looks now i will stick to the 2x Syncmaster and enjoy the HD 1080p  
 Post Reply Post Reply