Format

Post Date: 2012-01-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Format
    Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 11:16am
So I have sold my old PC and I want to do a VERY thorough Format of my Hard Drive to ensure ALL information is deleted. I have used this PC for a lot of government work and want to make sure it's completely cleaned. I know sometimes a plain format does not remove some things so I was hoping someone on here had a program or two or a step guide to give the maximum results ! Thank you in advance guys !
"RLTW"
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 12:32pm
You can use CCleaner (free), or Acronis True Image 2012 has a good drive wiper program also.  I use Acronis (paid license) for cloning my drives.  

Edited by EdH63 - 08 Jan 2012 at 12:34pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:58pm
I've used DBAN (http://www.dban.org/)  in the past, it used multiple passes and its free unlike the pro version of Active @ Killdisk (the non-free Active only does one pass I believe). It is far more concise than any standard drive eraser, and since its free its certainly worth trying to see if it meets your requirements.

At work they use more sound methods, but it leaves the drive whole unusable in the end. Smile
Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:09pm
Thank you guys !!! I used CC cleaner followed by DBAN and I think shes squeeky clean !!!!
"RLTW"
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:44pm
No problem, happy to help! Awesome

I think with that combo you should have no issues, and if you needed something more than that, well, then you probably couldn't have even posted about it in the first place Hahaha
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:50pm
I can tell you that ccleaner and acronis and most apps on the market will NOI be able to keep your data from being retrieved.

Not sure if dban actually zeros out the sectors and then overwrites them but you need to do that like a few hundred times to make sure your data is not retrievable.

If all you wan to do is remove data for a fresh install then format is all you need but not the quick format, that will not do it right, you need the long format.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm
DBAN meets DoD 5220-22.M specifications, so I'm assuming its hitting all the sectors, even the remapped ones. It also can use the Gutmann algorithm but I'm not too familiar with that one. I think it defaults to 35 passes. I just like it because its free Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:15pm
Well DoD 5220.22-M does write zeros and ones and random characters however you would need to use other sensitization methods to go along with it, it works in 3 passes, pass one does the zero, pass 2 does the ones and pass 3 does the random characters. You can still retrieve files using hardware recovery methods, but software most times will not be able to recover most times if other methods where used with it.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Jan 2012 at 5:15pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Sgt.Moore

So I have sold my old PC and I want to do a VERY thorough Format of my Hard Drive to ensure ALL information is deleted. I have used this PC for a lot of government work and want to make sure it's completely cleaned. I know sometimes a plain format does not remove some things so I was hoping someone on here had a program or two or a step guide to give the maximum results ! Thank you in advance guys !

You can read-up on all of these drive wipe programs and get lots of feedback both ways, good and bad.  I would consider this when trying to answer your question...

How sensitive is the information on your drive that, if it were stolen would you, or someone else suffer, by that information falling into the wrong hands? 

Are you reusing this HDD, or are you wiping it and disposing of it?  If you are wiping and disposing of it, do not throw it away or let go of it.  Keep it and file it, in your possession, under "Dead HDDs" and buy a new HDD in its place.  Most all of us here probably have a box, or two, that we store old antiquated computer parts.  Let that be the final resting place for this HDD if you're looking to get rid of it.  I've got so much crap from old systems, past purchases and spare parts, I could probably build a whole system from them.  Wouldn't want to, but I'm sure I could.

If you're wiping it to use again, then there are obviously many different programs that can get you close, or do what you need, but it would be hard to guarantee that every item on that drive will wipe.  I don't think anyone here could guarantee that.

What you've done already has probably gotten you the results you need.  I think the main thing is to just hang onto these HDDs instead of getting rid of them.  You probably won't be wiping hundreds of HDDs and piling up inventory's of them, so probably not much too worry about.

Edited by EdH63 - 08 Jan 2012 at 5:26pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:29pm
EdH63 has some very good points here but if you need to dispose of your hdd and want it to be non recoverable, just bake your hdd in the oven but it needs to be on high for a very long time (as long as platters made of aluminum alloy, otherwise you need to throw it in a volcano)

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Jan 2012 at 5:40pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:39pm
Sgt. Moore.....Think Barret M107...Problem fixed.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:43pm
I actually bake them at 225 F for around 45 minutes.  I like to season them with a little salt a pepper and a touch of fennel.  Be sure to check after the first 15 minutes so that you can see if you're getting a good brown on the side facing up.  Need to turn after 20 minutes to assure an even brown on both sides.  For those that using convection ovens, be sure to cut your cooking time by 1/4 and allow for around 10 to 12 minutes of resting time after cooking.

You're guaranteed to get a scrumptious HDD that will be tender and juicy if you follow these instructions.

I couldn't resist, DST4ME.  It just sounded like the thing to post after your oven solution.

LOL  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:52pm
Well I'm personally offended , how can you post all of that and then forget the marination , it needs to be marinated damn it
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 6:16pm
I've had good results with an acetylene torch. When I was younger I used to melt little happy faces in the old HDDs from work. While I now realize it was still leaving a some data that could be recovered due to platter placement, none of it was super sensitive and boy was it fun Hahaha
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Well I'm personally offended , how can you post all of that and then forget the marination , it needs to be marinated damn it

Damn!  The marinade!  It's nothing without the marinade! Oops

Note to self... marinade no less than 4 hours prior to baking. Chilling     
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 9:17pm
LOL I like to let it marinate from a day before so all that flavor goes into it
Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Sgt. Moore.....Think Barret M107...Problem fixed.

Now this made me get my laugh for the day !!! LOL Thank you bprat22 !!!! Awesome

As for Ed and DST dammit you two made me so damn hungry, its time to get the grill out of the garage and have the years first BBQ tomorrow !!!

Edited by Sgt.Moore - 08 Jan 2012 at 11:25pm
"RLTW"
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 11:32pm
LOL ok I don't about ed but you made me hungry, I think I'm gonna go get some stakes and really marinate them and then grill them the day after, now look what you did
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
Well, I thought we were cooking Hard drives, so I probably should get this thing out of the oven so the wife doesn't start yelling at me.

Steaks sound good....
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:02pm
This little dude seems oddly appropriate for the conversation: Hahaha

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:17pm
Damn! That's an EasyBake Oven on steriods! Gotta get on of those... cool.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:44pm
LOL that is a easybake oven on steriods but it won't help me with grilling.

Say hello to my little friend:

I wish
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 7:16pm
Welp, that is officially cooler than the massive jet-liner grill (Boeing?) had built. You could shoot those little easy bake computers out of that thing. The two S&W revolvers I have now seem pretty inadequate LOL
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 1:47pm
@DST4ME - .... wow. That thing was so bad ass that it made me forget what I was doing.. and I had to go back and re-read all the forums to remember to come back and post here about what I wanted to post about and then I saw it again and went to show someone how awesome it was and forgot what I was posting about and *deep breath* well now I will post. *phew*

@Topic - Actually, certain programs might not delete your drive beyond recovery such as mentioned however, if you format (not a quick format) a hard drive no less then 4 times with anything that 'fills' the drive even the FBI won't be able to recover it with forensic tools.

Information warfare is one of my skill sets. If you REALLY wanna handle it - a high powered magnet. ;-) (Note. Do not do that. I am kidding.)
 Post Reply Post Reply