FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Syndicate v. HAF X

Post Date: 2012-02-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
josh134 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Syndicate v. HAF X
    Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:35am
Hi all:

I am conflicted as to whether I use the Syndicate or the HAF X for my build.  I intend on using stage 4 LC.  I love the look of the syndicate and would prefer that one, but are there any functional differences between the two? 

Here are my two proposed builds (the first one with the syndicate and second one with the Haf X).

Thanks!

Syndicate build:  652144
Haf X build:  652145

Edited by josh134 - 06 Feb 2012 at 8:36am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:43am
Hi josh134...I know very little about stage 4 lc...Hopefully others will chime in, But stage 4 only cools cpu.  You would still need a good case to air cool the tri-sli 570's that'll be cranking out some heat.  The best air cool case is the HAFX. 

That being said, I also know nothing of the syndicate case and it's air cooling ability.  Would the difference between both mean much??  Don't know.

Good luck.Big%20Smile

I think the syndicates smaller 120mm fans would be noisier than the HAFX 200mm fans.  Larger fans mean lower rpm mean less noise.  Just another thought.

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Feb 2012 at 8:49am
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:40am
The Syndicate has very limited space for a SLI set like you want so you would have to discuss the build with a DS tech before placing the order to make sure all the hardware you want will fit.

Also I believe they set it up differently then what the stock pictures show. Go to the main DS website and go to the 3rd article about the interview with Nvidia. You will see that the case is turned 90 degrees and the mobo is actually mounted horizontal across the top with the drives and PSU getting mounted underneath the MOBO. (*Note, don't look at the pic in the article, look at the pic advertising the article with the green lights)

But any way you configure it you are still limited to a max 18" which does not leave you a lot of room. That's not to say that it can't work but you will have to check with DS to see if everything will fit.

Beyond the size there will be the issue of noise. No case offered by DS has better air flow then the HAF X and every other case offered by DS will be louder due to smaller fans. You are going with liquid cooling which by it's self will be a little noisy but a case like the Syndicate will only add to that noise and will not have as good air flow.

Edit:
I just noticed the price difference. Those two builds are exactly the same except the Syndicate build costs $461 more then the HAF X build which is total BS. For that alone I would skip the Syndicate as there is no way in hell that case costs that much more then the HAF X and if by some fluke it does cost that much more it's a ripoff. The HAF X is already about $200 on it's own so that would mean the Syndicate is some $600+ case.

My guess is DS is taking on some premium base pricing to any Black Ops build over a Special Ops build. Which is total nonsense too. There is just no way they can justify an almost $500 price difference when the only thing that's different is the case.

Edited by jmaster299 - 06 Feb 2012 at 9:47am

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:59am
Thank you both for your comments. I spoke with DS. The Syndicate could definitely house my build, including tri-sli. However, he said the noise differential is night and day between that and the HAF X. They have even tried insulating material in the Syndicate which has only provided nominal improvement. I'll stick with the HAF X. Not worth having an airplane engine next to me just because it looks cool.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:18am
josh134...Way to go Awesome

The HAFX will keep temps where they belong and be quieter and be alot cheaper and I think it looks awesome. 

Good luck Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Feb 2012 at 10:23am

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:33am
Congrats, just have to pull that trigger and spend the next 10 days going crazy. That should be an awesome system!

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:37am
Thanks! Trigger was pulled 3 weeks ago. I've been in stage 2 the whole time. Still waiting for the 3930's to come in. Fingers crossed for the end of this week. I have a 30" dell monitor still in the box on my floor.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:41am
Worked out good the 3930"s were backlogged.   Got the case fixed.  Big%20Smile

Gotta drive ya nuts with that monitor just sitting there, calling to ya.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:56am
the ordered system has always had the Haf X.  The lingering wait has made me re-think a few things, which is why the idea of the Syndicate came up.  I also changed the cooler form the Noctua d14 to the Stage 4 LC.  I also originally had dual 580 sli (1.5) but changed that to tri 570's due to the monitor.  The waiting sucks..... but hopefully will eb over soon.

Thanks
arch04 View Drop Down

Quote arch04 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:15pm
I am pretty sure the price diffrencei in the haf x and syndicate come from.
1) price between case itself~200$
2)labor, the syndicate comes as just a bunch of panels and screws and takes i would say 3x longer to build than the haf x.   
3) fans to fill the syndicate slots, pci covers, front panel covers that all dont't come included with the syndicate.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:47pm
Hi arch04.....thanks for the feedback.   Still not worth the extra money in my opinion, but for some it is worth it. You do have to give the customer a range of options.   

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:57pm
Yeah, you can get entire packs of fans for $20-$40 and the price on the U2-UFO is not $200 more then the HAF X. The HAF X sells for $200 and the U2-UFO is listed between $279 and $359 dollars.

So even giving generous estimates of actual additional cost you are looking at about $200 and that includes the cost of the stuff like the fans. Which means you are charging an another $261 is labor and profit. It's i no way worth it.

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:35pm
It's true the HAF X is more airflow efficient and cheaper, but the syndicate presents so much better imo. DS has also confirmed that the fans on the Syndicate can be replaced with cooler master ram 4's which they say are noticeably quieter. I think I've changed my mind again and am going with the Syndicate. Decisions decisions.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:42pm
Running x3 SLI you are going to want the big fan blowing fresh air directly on to the GPUs like you get in the HAF X.

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:59pm
Hi Jmaster. You are absolutely right, and the HAF X is most efficient for that. However, the new Syndicate (gen 2) boasts 6 front fans and 4 on the back. Ill get the exact specs. The one you see on the websites is outdated. The new one is much more cooling efficient. With the great number of fans and stage 4 LC, I believe the tri-sli will be ok.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:01pm
Which model of the U2-UFO are they using exactly? Also do you know the CFM rating of the fans they will be using for you?

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:03pm
I will get the info. Stay tuned!
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:42pm
Ok, here's the scoop.  DS uses a version of the UFO called the Mirror.  The DS version comes with 11 120 mm fans.  6 on front, 2 on back and 3 on top.   I upgraded these to cooler master r4 silent fans.  The chassis supposedly has incredible airflow and, according to DS, is well suited for tri-sli.  I went with blue lights, blue interior and blue LC tubing.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 5:12pm
The only U2-UFO case I know of that as 6 front fans is the Duality which is designed to house two separate systems, which you are not doing with your build. It'd be nice if DS had some valid pictures to see the set up.

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 5:26pm
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 5:56pm
Best news yet - because the change in chassis put me right over 5k mark, it triggered additional $250 discount because my purchase was during the holiday special.  The change from HAF X to Syndicate only cost me about $50.

Edited by josh134 - 07 Feb 2012 at 5:02am

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 6:07pm
Yeah that's the duality case which is meant to house two different systems at one time. It looks like DS has modified it from it's stock design.

The only bad thing I see is it looks like the radiator gets mounted along the rows of front fans which means you'll actually be blowing air across the radiator which will both slow it down and heat it up.

It's exactly how the heat in your car works, your heater core (which is just a miniature radiator) has air blown across it which in turn makes that air hot. You'd be blowing that hot air directly on to your GPUs if that radiator is mounted in front like it appears that it is.

Radiators always need to be mounted by the exhaust fans so the hot air from them gets expelled out the case. As it is that hot air will get blown directly on to the GPUs and CPUs which is the worst possible place for it.

Did they send you any other pics? I'd like to see the back and top fan placement. You can sort of see two of the back fan mounts, 1 upper and 1 lower. It really needs at least 1 more on the upper back. The top would really be best suited for some large exhaust fans.

Edited by jmaster299 - 06 Feb 2012 at 6:08pm

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 6:29pm
jmaster, that was the only picture they sent to me but I will request some more.  They give you an option of where to place the 240 mm radiator - either in front or on top.  They said the preferred placement is on top.  Not sure what the shelf is for in the pic - that is not my build, it was just a random UFO they are working on.  I wanted the pic to see the front fan placement.  

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:24pm
Definitely go with the top over and not the front. The top will be an exhaust fan so that is fine.

The shelf is where your MOBO goes. You mobo will actually be laying down instead of standing up in that case. You can see you PCI slots and back I/O panel along that "shelf".

If you look at that pic you CPU will be towards the right side of that case with the "bottom" GPU to the left side of the case. Just imagine taking a normal tower desktop and laying it down on it's right side.

In this case you PSU and drives will all mount in the bottom half of the case underneath the MOBO.

AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:45pm
If I had the money my dream build include the Syndacate/U2-UFO with these Noctua fans for the chassis cooling all controlled with a good 30w+ per channel lamptron controller.

Yes, the Haf-X is much cheaper and the UFO case is something you'd have to spend a lot more time and money tailoring on to get it right.  But I'm betting that the case would last a long time and for many many builds to come.  It's so customisable cause mountain mods has so many things to offer for it.  Just IMHO.

Edited by AndydViking - 06 Feb 2012 at 10:54pm
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 2:03am
Jmaster, thanks for the info. I'll have rad placed on top.

Andy, those noctuas are sweet. Would definitely solve the noise problem.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 5:05am
Originally posted by AndydViking

If I had the money my dream build include the Syndacate/U2-UFO with these Noctua fans for the chassis cooling all controlled with a good 30w+ per channel lamptron controller.

Yes, the Haf-X is much cheaper and the UFO case is something you'd have to spend a lot more time and money tailoring on to get it right.  But I'm betting that the case would last a long time and for many many builds to come.  It's so customisable cause mountain mods has so many things to offer for it.  Just IMHO.

The difference in price for my build between the HAF X and the Syndicate is only about $50 because I placed my order mid-January during the holiday special period.  It would be a much harder decision to make to switch to the Syndicate if it would cost me $300+ more.
 Post Reply Post Reply