Post Date: 2013-08-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nucmanchh View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nucmanchh Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question
    Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 2:08pm
I'm not a gamer but a photographer who uses Photoshop. The computer (Alienware Auroa) I presently own is approx 3 years old and I'm starting to experience latency when I use Photoshop.

Can someone "in-the-know" give me some idea of the kind of computer I need to build here (SPECS would be good). I don't want to under-buy nor do I want to buy too much computer.

Taking all that into account what would u advise me?

thanks!
<i>Fred</i>
Dakota Red View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dakota Red Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 4:31pm
Hi nucmanchh, welcome to the forum.

I am not a heavy Photoshop user so I will not give you an opinion but I will make a suggestion. You posted your question in the "General Discussions" part of the forum. I'm sure you would get more response to your question about computer configuration  if you re-posted your question in the "Configuration Discussions" part of the forum. Big%20Smile  What I do know about Photoshop is that it is more dependent on the graphics card than the cpu. So you should probably build a computer with the best graphics card that you can afford. If you can afford to build a computer with a Titan graphics card than you should. If not than build around the best card you can afford. Next get the best cpu you can afford - start with the i7 4770k and work down from there. With Photoshop you need a lot of HD storage so do not skimp on this. How large of a hard disk do you have in your Auroa and how much more do you feel you need? (It is also nice to have a SSD as the C: drive to place the Windows OS on so your new computer will start up and run fast. Than 1 or more hard disk drives to store pictures and other data on.) Next you want to decide what size of case you want. (I think the Auroa is mid-size) Digital Storm builds computers in 4 form factors -large, mid, small, and laptop. What graphics card and how much hard disk drive space you think you need might tell you what size case you need. Where you use your computer might also tell you if you need a quiet computer. If you use it in an office with some to a lot of noise than having a quiet build is not as important. If you will be using it at home in an area not too far removed from where people will be sleeping than it might be more important to you to have DS build you a computer in a quiet case (a case with sound deadening material on the inside and with quiet fans). I would suggest that you go here;

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/slade.asp

And page down to the available builds. I think the "Level 2 Slade" is as close to your Aurora build as DS makes. (but of course with better/newer components) If you hit the "Customize Button" you can change or add any components that you think you need. I hope this helps.
Performance matters. Non-Performance is not an option.
nucmanchh View Drop Down

Quote nucmanchh Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 4:37pm
thank you. Some very valuable info. I'll do as u say & post in the config discussions too. Again, thanks!
<i>Fred</i>
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 7:02pm
Welcome to the DS forums, nucmanchh! Actually if your doing photo work, CPU & RAM will be your best friend (for rendering and work space for large files). The GPU is somewhat important and becomes a big part of the puzzle if you're doing 3D work. I would go with any i7 CPU (4 or 6-core) and at least 16GB RAM (32Gb if in budget). You will probably be safe with a GTX 770 (1920x1080) - go 780 or Titan if your running a display with higher resolution. An SSD is absolutely just as critical to have to keep the OS and programs running quickly along with some traditional storage (unless you can afford large SSD's). Give us a budget & display resolution and we can help from there! Hope this helps...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
nucmanchh View Drop Down

Quote nucmanchh Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 7:38am
Here's my current display (not sure if that helps give u an idea of current resolution I'm using)

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series [Display adapter]
DELL ST2310 [Monitor] (23.1"vis, s/n XX-0U217R-XXXXX-04I-0RGS, April 2010)

budget - approx $2000
<i>Fred</i>
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 7:49am
I listed a build number in your other post (under Configuration Discussion) that fits nearest your $2k budget.

861701 - $2085
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 10:16am
That's the config I'd go for.  Strong  With the H100i stage 2 cooler, I would also get the stage 1 overclocking.   It boosts clock speed  on all cores equally.   There is lots of controversy with this new chip and oc'ing, but I'd still do it being a moderate one. 

Not sure what you  have now for a cpu, ram, etc.,  but the gtx 770 4gb vram card will give you 4X the vram for rendering and at least twice the speed over your old card, depending on which 5800 you have.    The newer Haswell i7-4770k is also a jump in processing.  

For $2K, tough to beat. 

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Aug 2013 at 10:22am
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 7:02pm
I would've recommended the OC as well but was trying to stay as close to budget as possible...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 7:28am
I kinda figured that was the case.   Big%20Smile  Mentioned it though in case he had some extra change laying around for oc.  Hahaha

fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:07am
Originally posted by bprat22

I kinda figured that was the case.   Big%20Smile  Mentioned it though in case he had some extra change laying around for oc.  Hahaha

HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
 Post Reply Post Reply