FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

serious concerns of the validity of my new system

Post Date: 2018-04-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cheezey View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cheezey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: serious concerns of the validity of my new system
    Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:35pm
on April 9th I put in my order for the Aventum3. Here's my specs

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1895931 (Config # 1895931) - Quantity: 1 - Price: $10,359.00

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition (18-Core) 2.60GHz
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE (Wi-Fi) (Thunderbolt 3) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 128GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1300W EVGA SuperNOVA G2
Expansion Bay: ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 Adapter (Requires Thunderbolt Compatible Motherboard)
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Gold Datacenter Edition)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Gold Datacenter Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Black - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard LED Performance Fans (Red) (14 Fans Total)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.5GHz via Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: CM Storm Devastator II Bundle (Red LED Edition) (Gaming Keyboard & Gaming Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: Bundle: Exclusive T-Shirt (LARGE) (L) + Water Bottle + Carbon Fiber Pen + Leather Keychain
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)

it got to stage 5 on April 23rd. Today I get an email saying that they no longer have the 1300w evga in Stock. They give me options for a new power supply and I pick one. But shouldn't this have been done 3 weeks ago? It was supposed to be on the second phase of stress testing this week. So what has been the system testing with? Has it been tested at all?? I'm still anxious to get the aventum but am I wrong to be concerned? I was expecting an email that it's at stage 6, not an email that the power supply is out of stock. Which should have been addressed in stage 1.
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:51pm
I honestly do not know.

But I can brainstorm that they began testing with your 1300W power supply, which subsequently failed during stress testing.  And they did not have another 1300W to replace it.  Just  my thought.

Edited by forrest74 - 27 Apr 2018 at 10:51pm
Cheezey View Drop Down

Quote Cheezey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:44am
that's a good guess. here's the email i got;

Digital Storm <[email protected]>
1:17 PM (11 hours ago)
to me
Dear Trent,

I do apologize we no longer have this Power Supply: 1300W EVGA SuperNOVA G2

Please look below of different choices you can choose from
1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong>[-$61]</strong>1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
[-$61]
More Info
1200W SilverStone Strider <br><strong>[-$53]</strong>1200W SilverStone Strider
[-$53]
More Info
1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong>[+$238]</strong>1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
[+$238]
More Info
1600W Corsair AX1600i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong>[+$238]</strong>1600W Corsair AX1600i (Digitally Controlled Power)
[+$238] Backordered Item (Extended Ship Time)
More Info

Sincerely,
Tammy.Davis

Call: 669-235-3810 Ext.116
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 2:26am
Congratulations and welcome to DS, Awesome

It does appear that the stages were not filled  properly.  It could be like forrest74 stated or when the bin was filled with your parts, the psu was not available but the bin went ahead to avoid a delay in building it. Now that its being built...the tech needs that psu.
At any rate you will get a monster machine.
BTW, you don't need those cards oc'd and not being lc, they will add to the case heat (although that is a huge case so no worries there)

Keep us posted and make sure you get some friends lined up for deliver and camera ready. Big%20Smile Enjoy.

Edited by hoserator - 28 Apr 2018 at 2:27am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:59pm
You could get away with the 1000W, but that 7980XE loves to eat up power.  That thing consumes wattage like it's candy. 

The EVGA 1300W was a good PSU.  If it were me, I'd stay away from silverstone... 100% always.  I'd go with the AX 1200i.  I've used that exact PSU in many builds over many years now and it's an amazing PSU.  The 1500/1600i big brother is even more spectacular.  Just depends on budget.  But yea, my two cents.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Cheezey View Drop Down

Quote Cheezey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 9:53am
yeah i know corsair has beefy power supplies and i figured the 1000w should be ok. and tbh the silverstone was never in the running. and to the reply above you, it was a free option to overclock but i suspect the 1080ti will handle anything i throw at it.

and who i'm replying; are you active navy? i got out in 2000. HM3(FMF) here. But i came down with ALS. 14 year survivor.
FluxDelayTimer View Drop Down

Quote FluxDelayTimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:44am
That's an unfortunate surprise. I've heard really good things about DS's customer service, but I do with that they were a bit more communicative during the build process. I've had an Aventum on order that's been in Stage 3 since March, and I'm always torn between being the annoying guy who asks for an update every day and continuing to be patient. A little more clarity would easy my mind, and I'm sure yours too. Good luck!
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:07pm
Why would you spend 10k on a system and settle for an M2 SSD? Upgrade to the NVME 960 PRO if you still have the option.It's a waste to have your M2 slot being used for a last gen SSD.
Cheezey View Drop Down

Quote Cheezey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:26am
the speeds between the 2 drives is negligible and i think having the OS drive on the board looks cleaner just my $0.02 ;)
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:35am
Better read that again. My NVMe benches at 4X my normal SSDs and I'm on last gen equipment running it through a PCI card. On your system it's probably closer to specification 3200 MBps.

The drive you have listed is only rated 545 MBps max.

Don't skimp on quality when you're spending 10k.
 Post Reply Post Reply