Search Engine Hacker Reveals Chinese Gymnasts' Tru

Post Date: 2008-08-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Search Engine Hacker Reveals Chinese Gymnasts' Tru
    Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 12:29pm
Search Engine Hacker Reveals Chinese Gymnasts' True Age

Proving once again that search engines can be some of the greatest hacking tools on the internet

A clever search engine hacker says he’s located primary source documents, provided by the Chinese government, that contain proof of an age-related cover-up on behalf of the Chinese women’s gymnastics team.

Working under the pseudonym “Stryde Hax” and posting to his blog, he says he was able to download spreadsheets previously deleted by the Chinese government by pulling up a cached copy stored on Chinese search-engine Baidu.

Stryde’s Blogger profile describes him as a consultant for security firm Intrepidus Group, and says he spends his spare time “[finding] things on web servers that were never meant to be found.”

His efforts focused specifically on gold-medal winning gymnast He Kexin, whose age is widely reported to be 16 years old. He’s passport lists her date of birth to be January 1, 1992 – however reports from a variety of news sources, including Chinese English-language newspaper China Daily, previously showed her birthday to be January 1, 1994, placing her age at a disqualifying 14 years old. (Many of the original reports allegedly disappeared soon after the scandal initially broke out.)

In order to participate, Olympic gymnasts must be at least 16 years old. The sport has a long history of contestants misrepresenting their age in order to participate in senior-level competitions.

Stryde says the documents he located were originally stored on web servers for the General Administration of Sport of China, however they appear to have been removed after a similar – largely unnoticed – story ran last July in the New York Times. Running a specially constructed search query against Google yielded a handful of results that ended up going nowhere, and Google’s cached data revealed what appeared to him as doctored or missing information. Running the same query against Baidu, however, netted another set of results that, like Google, went nowhere – but unlike Google, contained cached information clearly showing He with a birthday of January 1, 1994.

In response to his calls for urgency – not to mention front page exposure on Slashdot and Digg – Stryde says he’s been overwhelmed with support from readers, many who decided to mirror the spreadsheets on their own before they disappeared off of the web completely.

Of particular interest is a machine-translated version of his findings, which clearly state:

799, BB He Kexin CC female AA 1994.1.01 Beijing and
Beijing Beijing Municipal Sports Bureau, First Note

Regardless of the authenticity of Stryde’s findings – a handful of commenters dispute his claims – it’s possible that should his evidence either prove to be conclusive, or lead to the introduction of even more definitive evidence, then the 2008 Chinese gymnastics scandal could be the next in line to be felled by a relatively new phenomenon called “crowdsourcing,” or tapping into the collective knowledge of the internet. A similar phenomenon may have hastened the retirement of CBS news anchor Dan Rather, who once presented evidence of a story on air that the blogosphere later proved to be false.

At the time of this writing, the cached documents still appear to be online at Baidu.

Thats some crappy sh*t
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 12:32pm

Especially if what the guy found is true. 

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 1:15pm

Horrible.

I wonder why they have so many gold medals. I hope they didn't cheat their way through the rest either...
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 1:25pm
Wouldn't put it past them... especially with all the other things going on with them.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 2:16pm
You guys already know that the little chines girl that sang the opening song at the Olympics was lip sinking right? and the actual girl that was singing was in the back, they said she was not pretty enough to represent china.

that was really sick too, that poor little girl with the great voice was put in the back room while the other one lip sank

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Aug 2008 at 2:17pm
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 2:25pm
Olympics has all been about politics for many years now. Also, when put under the kind of pressure you see at this level of competition, there will always be some form of cheating going on. Humans are by nature opportunistic. If they think they can get away with something, there will be those who try to sneak past.
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 3:07pm

Well, not as much politics as bragging rights.  However, one can't go in and say "I have a bionic arm and can throw my javeline a mile and you poor organic person can only do it a few hundred yards".  It's like racing a Yugo with a Mazaradi.

Now, if the Yugo wins... that's doing something. 
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 3:28pm

It kinda goes along with the rest of the faked stuff for the olympics. oh well...in 2012 we get the Russian version.....Its like the all facist tour for the olympics.

And yes the gold metal count is suspeciously high for China...all the other nations their gold metals are nearly the same or at least near as their silver and bronze number counts....but not china..they have almost 50 golds..and only 10s of silver and bronze...apparently we arnt supposed to see that slant...
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 4:00pm
I think every country that hosts ends up getting more gold then they normally would, how many did china have in Greece?
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 4:03pm
China has always been high in gold compared to silver and bronze... They dominate in certain areas such as diving and are piss-poor in areas such as track, it's why they started Project 119 -.-

And a course most if not all the people complaining about the Chinese cheating are from America... like Michael Phelps winning 8 golds is not suspicious at all.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 5:56pm

Michael Phelps is actually under review now as it is. One of his medals are falling under scrutiny. They are saying that the company that designed the sensor, is a Michael Phelps sponsor or something of that nature. So its not just China falling under scrutiny, albeit they are falling under more then other places.

Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 6:15pm
@Sara,No as far as that one medal goes, the Serbian coach complained right as soon as it happened, and it was denied after the judges checked all the cameras and they all showed the same thing.

@skyR, Michael Phelps winning 8 gold medals is not suspicious at all knowing his history. He tried 4 years ago and was not successful but this time around he was, he is not winning by miles, if he was on something none of the races that were very close would have been that close.

as for only Americans saying china is cheating that is BS. Putting a 14 year old as a 16 year old is cheating no matter who accuses. this is not between coach and athlete, this is the whole govt involved in hiding this matter.

You can check around you will see many countries are not happy with china, India, UK, Australia just to name a few.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Aug 2008 at 6:15pm
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:03am

Test away on all of the atheletes and confirm everything is on the up and up as far as I'm concerned. This validates the wins of those that deserve their victories, and clears them of the FUD cast about by those with a nationalistic axe to grind. At the same time, those guilty is misconduct, regardless of nationality, should be not only stripped of all wins, but recieve a lifetime ban from any future Olympic games for their trouble.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

Test away on all of the atheletes and confirm everything is on the up and up as far as I'm concerned. This validates the wins of those that deserve their victories, and clears them of the FUD cast about by those with a nationalistic axe to grind. At the same time, those guilty is misconduct, regardless of nationality, should be not only stripped of all wins, but recieve a lifetime ban from any future Olympic games for their trouble.

I agree with all of that.
Iraq Now View Drop Down

Quote Iraq Now Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 3:16am
I am iffy on the age of the Chinese gymnasts. (I know this is late) but, isn't the fact if they DO turn out to be 14, make thier wins that much more impressive?

Matt
"Thick as your thumb?Now, you can't do much damage with that now can you? Maybe it should have been rule of wrist instead!" Boondock Saints
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 9:20am
It all depends on if being younger gives them an advantage.  I am not up on the whole gymnastics thing... so I wouldn't know.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Iraq Now

I am iffy on the age of the Chinese gymnasts. (I know this is late) but, isn't the fact if they DO turn out to be 14, make thier wins that much more impressive?

Matt

younger in that sport gives you advantages over your older competitors.
 Post Reply Post Reply