FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Q9650 vs. QX9650 and Overclocking

Post Date: 2008-11-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sbq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Q9650 vs. QX9650 and Overclocking
    Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 12:25am
I know the difference between the Q and QX 9650's is a locked vs. unlocked multiplier, and the unlocked makes it easier to OC.  If I use the nVidia 790i Ultra motherboard and liquid cooling, what speeds could I expect to OC a Q9650 to?  A QX9650?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 12:39am
probably around the same speed 3.8 to 4.0GHz
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 1:20pm
Overclocking causes more heartache than it is worth, I have yet to see more than a handful of happy over clocked users. Most of them end up with random freezes, restarts, oddball system issues... until they set components to their rated speed and suddenly, magically, the problems go away.

If you want a stable, trouble free system, buy the best proc you can afford speed wise and do not overclock.

Simple,  easy and guaranteed to please.

Dave Ouch
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 2:19pm
But that is just on this forum and most people here are not expert clockers. many people have removed OC settings and still have the problem.

so I don't think its fair to judge oc by only the people here which does not even represent all of DS's customers.

truth is that if it was that much headache, DS would do something about it
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 2:54pm
I am not talking just DS, I am talking everywhere. All the OC forums, from Overclockers Club to the nVidia forums, there are multitudes of problems expressed with overclocks.

Now go through the same forums and look at issues with hardware running at spec, there are almost none. That pretty much speaks for itself.

Now just take DS... in the forums all the complaints I have seen barring a few shipping disasters and incorrect hardware mistakes that happen very rarely, and look at all the other problems, a quick review by my count shows that about 60% of the issues thrown out on these forums come down to hardware issues on over clocked machines.

Some are bad memory or bad motherboards, but those end results always seem to show up on overclocked machines that were ordered.

I am not saying that DSO is a terrible place, far from it, they are great guys, but I think in my experience hanging out on these forrums for the past 7 months or so the happiest people are the customers who ordered PCs with no overclock. Less errors, less problems, less emergencies, less unexplained garbage that happens.

YMMV but for my 1000+ bucks, I would rather know it works then hope like hell I get the golden goose.

Dave Ouch

Edited by Kliebor2 - 13 Nov 2008 at 2:54pm
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 3:58pm
I ask you to bring me one person that is an expert OCer and agrees with that statement.

I know lot of over clockers and I don't know one expert that agrees that OC causes problems.

wrong settings for OC does create many problems but that is a user error not OC error.

bad mombo or bad ram has northing to do with OC, you can ask Alex that yourself, that has to do with getting messed up during shopping or something like that.

I totally disagree with the fact that happiest people are none OCers, I have configed many systems with OC on this from for the past 3 to 4 month, out of all of those maybe 1% have been having problems. I don't know where you got your numbers from

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Nov 2008 at 3:59pm
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 4:29pm
I have to agree with DST4ME on this one. This was another deciding factor in choosing DS. They are one of the few companies out there that will overclock your hardware, and WARRANTY it!

For those of us that can not afford the EXTREME Intel chip at 3.2, but can afford the Q9450....and have it overclocked to the Extreme chip settings, you can bet your ass I'm smiling =). Lets see, $45 for overclock fee, a warranty, and possibly a few headaches, or $600....which would you choose?
Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.6
240GB Samsung SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 4:45pm
If it has to go back even once, I would rather sink 600 in up front, shipping back at my expense is 240 bucks for Fedex... so there goes your cost savings

Also triple the chance for shipping related hardware failure...in all a recipe for disaster

As to my figures, it comes from reading happy review posts, and unhappy error posts and extrapolating what I can as there is no DSO chart of failures available.

Edited by Kliebor2 - 13 Nov 2008 at 4:47pm
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 5:14pm
I know how many people I have helped config a PC for and I know which of them come back complaining, PG1 for example but he was taken care of also.

As Alex has says many times, happy people don't tend to post people with problem do, so if you are going by that, then there is a flaw right there

which is more likely:

A. after many years of OCing, hundred of thousands of people, not one has realized that everybody's PC is freezing due to over clock.

B. OC with right settings/temp, has absolutely nothing to do with PCs freezing, which is why nobody has noticed it after all these years.

If your theory were correct, 90% of the people with OC from DS should be here complaining, they are not. they couldn't be a part of BBB or have the - Outside Link Removed - they do.

2 + 2 has to equal 4.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Nov 2008 at 5:15pm
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 5:27pm
ive seen plently of random freezing/locking up/BSOD's issues with the 790i chipset from stock speed computers
sbq View Drop Down

Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Kliebor2

If it has to go back even once, I would rather sink 600 in up front, shipping back at my expense is 240 bucks for Fedex... so there goes your cost savings

I live a few miles from DS (in San Jose) so I can just drive it back.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 5:39pm
shipping cost is covered by DS
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 5:48pm
Shipping is coverd by ds for the first 30 days only
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 6:20pm
well. so far my computer has only froze one time , and it was for only about 10 seconds or so. so i dont think it had anything to do with my OC. no BSODs, errors or random lock ups for me. im OC'd to 3.6 on a 9650. but whos to say. maybe i got the golden goose or whatever you call it. lol
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 6:29pm
Just to clarify:

In regards to overclocking, we drastically revised our testing practices within the past month to weed our instability issues. We don't just use one application now, we actually use four. Second to that, if the system passes stability testing, another individual (a QA inspector) re-runs the test to ensure the integrity of the overclocks again. This way we are sure the unit will run perfectly fine. Third, our QA team also audits a sample batch of units from each individual daily to ensure our testing practices are being properly done; that's the third time it's checked. Finally, we leave a quick series of charts and graphs of one of the very programs we run to show the user itself the data of before and after overclocking the unit.

As in shipping, we cover the first 30 days of delivery. Within the first 30 days of you receiving your computer, if you have stability issues (they usually show up the very same day or the next day) we will cover all costs. Let's say down the road, it came for service, and we shipped it back, that 30 day shipping coverage counter re-starts.

I hope that clears up on the quality of overclocks. We recently did improve our system to further weed bad batches of motherboards and memory.

Also recently, we just began double testing memory sticks. Anytime we get a delivery of new memory, we test it before it is even allowed into our inventory storage rooms.

I hope that clears out some new innovative things that are done only at Digital Storm. So if you want the best system, you should go for overclocking, and at a worst case scenario, we can resolve the issue quickly over the phone because we can replicate your system in-house and further tweak BIOS voltage and frequency settings.

Warm Regards,
Alex
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Alex

Just to clarify:

In regards to overclocking, we drastically revised our testing practices within the past month to weed our instability issues. We don't just use one application now, we actually use four. Second to that, if the system passes stability testing, another individual (a QA inspector) re-runs the test to ensure the integrity of the overclocks again. This way we are sure the unit will run perfectly fine. Third, our QA team also audits a sample batch of units from each individual daily to ensure our testing practices are being properly done; that's the third time it's checked. Finally, we leave a quick series of charts and graphs of one of the very programs we run to show the user itself the data of before and after overclocking the unit.

As in shipping, we cover the first 30 days of delivery. Within the first 30 days of you receiving your computer, if you have stability issues (they usually show up the very same day or the next day) we will cover all costs. Let's say down the road, it came for service, and we shipped it back, that 30 day shipping coverage counter re-starts.

I hope that clears up on the quality of overclocks. We recently did improve our system to further weed bad batches of motherboards and memory.

Also recently, we just began double testing memory sticks. Anytime we get a delivery of new memory, we test it before it is even allowed into our inventory storage rooms.

I hope that clears out some new innovative things that are done only at Digital Storm. So if you want the best system, you should go for overclocking, and at a worst case scenario, we can resolve the issue quickly over the phone because we can replicate your system in-house and further tweak BIOS voltage and frequency settings.

Warm Regards,
Alex

wow alex i gotta say thats very cool u will restart the 30 days free shipping stuff.  Also it shows alot about a compnay to re work how they basically do everything like that.  Hopefully my system when it gets back on monday will be put through its paces to get the problem weeded out

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 6:58pm
That is great news Alex, its great to know that you guys are not just sitting on your butts and instead are being pro active to try and catch other companies flawed products

I felt very comfortable with my money going to DS before but now you just made it even more comfortable
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 10:35pm
That's great new's Alex! I knew my money was well spent going with DS. In about a year you'll be seeing my computer again for some upgrades =)
Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.6
240GB Samsung SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
eagel1 View Drop Down

Quote eagel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 12:18am
Knowing how well DS test there rigs makes feel much better about my system I ordered overclocked.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Alex

Just to clarify:

Warm Regards,

Alex

That plus hundred of thousands of over clockers in the world, point to the fact that there is nothing wrong with OC if you know what you are doing or if you let DS do it for you

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Nov 2008 at 3:16pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:45pm
Well looks like they have done it for many others, XP for example has a very nice q9550 oced on air, and that is just one, there are many other customers with oc on air, not sure what happened with yours but lets have Alex comment on it before we say DS can't do it
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 6:11pm

Let's not judge Digital Storm's overclocking versus your experience Harleyman.

I understand what you are saying, and am I am thrilled to hear that your new units are stable on air.

As I mentioned earlier, your units were previous from our revision to our new testing procedures. And, to add to that, obviously there will be customers that have certain issues with overclocks, but we have drastically reduced that number. And when they do happen, our team is here to help tweak them over the phone in order to get them fine tuned.

Warm Regards,
Alex

Edited by Alex - 14 Nov 2008 at 6:12pm
Nomak View Drop Down

Quote Nomak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 3:54pm
So in other words.. in the first 30 days of you getting your system if you end up sending it back its (shipping) covered, and by the time it gets back you have another 30 days window (from the date of the delivery) to find a problem/issue with it to be eligible for free-shipping back to back.

Am i reading it right?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:27pm
Yes Nomak, that is right
 Post Reply Post Reply