Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lnjkennedy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lnjkennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Multi purpose PC
    Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 3:23pm
Hi all,
I am looking for some help with a set up for a pc. As far as gaming, I only play Warhammer online. I want to use a 24'' monitor that I think is the 1900 x 1200 resolution. I also want to use it to store and edit digital photos. We use the microsoft photo story program and I would probably use some editing software. I have been reading these forums for about 4-5 weeks and I am still confused as to what would work the best together. I want the pc to boot up fast. I want the game to load fast and have no lag at full settings. I was thinking of getting the 160g velociraptor and then a 1tb for second drive. I know most have said to get the one drive and wait for the vertex 2 but as easy as you say it is to just switch the drives, I do not feel comfortable doing it. If the system would not be fast enough in your opinion I can wait for the vertex. I also want to get a sound card and speakers. I know nothing about them so I do not know how good the options are from DS. If what they have is good then I am fine with theirs.
This is what I came up with so far:

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)

System Memory: 3GB DDR3 1333MHz Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Digital Storm Certified)

Power Supply: 1000W Silverstone OP1000-E (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)

Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)

Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)

Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks

Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)

Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

Add-on Card: - No Thanks

Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Cooler Master V8 (Compatible With i7 Processors)

Liquid Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)

Enhancements: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability

Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory

Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)

Virus Protection: - No Thanks

Office: - No Thanks

Benchmarking: - No Thanks

Install/Test Game: - No Thanks

LCD Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: Logitech 5.1 System (Black Edition) (Model X540) (Includes Subwoofer)

Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Desktop 3.0 (Multimedia Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse)

Mouse: - No Thanks

External Storage: - No Thanks

Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Thanks for your time.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 3:31pm
you can follow my clone guide here

look at my guide and tell me if thats something you can't do, cause its so easy.

Quote lnjkennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 3:41pm
The steps look easy enough, but it says to disconnect the one drive after cloning and before you reboot. Probably stupid question, but now how do you use the drive you cloned if you have to disconnect it? Just connect it after booting up? Would I have to keep disconnecting every time I turn it back on? Sorry if dumb questions, I am not very tech savy.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 4:04pm
OK when you clone you have 2 HDDs with 2 boot info, when windows goes to boot, it will use one drive to do so and then destroy the clone's boot files to make it view able.

we need the boot sectors/files to to stay intact, so we don't let windows boot with 2 HDDs.

my guide was make for backing up purposes so that is why you have to take those steps.

when upgrading the PC, what you do after the cloning is done is... well let me walk you thru,

you get this PC and have the 500GB as HDD1.

next month you get the vertex 2 lets say, or veloci which drive you get won't matter.

now you put the new drive next to the 500GB, internal or external again won't matter.

now you clone the 500GB to the new drive, once the clone process is done, you shut down PC, remove the 500GB out of the PC and put it aside, you now put the new drive in place of the 500GB and boot up PC.

PC should boot up fine, you get to your desktop and move around and make sure all is fine, once you are comfortable the new HDD is working fine, then you can put the 500GB back in system, format and use for storage as HDD2.

does that help?

here you go Ticket# 266064 --- Price: $3138 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2938

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Digital Storm Certified)
Power Supply: 1000W Silverstone OP1000-E (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Cooler Master V8 (Compatible With i7 Processors)
Liquid Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: Logitech 5.1 System (Black Edition) (Model X540) (Includes Subwoofer)
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Desktop 3.0 (Multimedia Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Quote lnjkennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 4:11pm

Yes that does help ty.

Also, does anyone know if those speakers and sound card are good?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 6:29pm
you are better off making a thread in the hardware section asking about the speakers and sound card

Quote lnjkennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 9:15pm

Just wanted to know if anyone has used these from DS and if they were any good. Did not want to start a new thread. Thanks for the help though.

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 9:17pm
I love my fatal1ty titanium audio card.  It is 360 degree 3D audio and even can tell elevation of helicopters and stuff.  You can hear people sneaking up behind you, then you just spin around and blast them!!!!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/

Quote lnjkennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 11:04am
Thanks Onkel_Ken. Do you use speakers with yours or a headset?
 Post Reply Post Reply