FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10th Gen CPU in Pre-Built Lynxes Question

Post Date: 2022-04-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Florpldorp View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Florpldorp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 10th Gen CPU in Pre-Built Lynxes Question
    Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 9:48am
TLDR: What's the chance the pre-set Lynx configurations will be shifting to newer generation CPUs some time soon? And/or, is the 10th gen vs 12th gen CPU performance difference worth waiting for if I want to go with a pre-set option?

Long version with the background:

First, let me start by saying how awesome my experience with Digital Storm has been in the past. I bought a desktop from here back in 2012, and it is STILL functioning well after only adding in an SSD and a RAM upgrade throughout its life.

So, I'm starting to look around for a new desktop, and of course I've headed back here. I don't desperately need one, since I bought an MSI laptop (i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, GTX 1070 CPU) a bit over 3 years ago with a big Black Friday discount. That laptop is starting to show its age a bit sooner than I'd hoped though, and when I try to play Elden Ring on it things are just a bit more sluggish than they should be even on low settings. From what I've gathered, I managed to get it for so cheap because the 7th gen CPU was on the older side when I got it, and that, along with the typical laptop cooling challenges are holding things back.

In other words, I'm hesitant to make a very big purchase and end up with a CPU that's from 2 generations ago, since I want this purchase to last.

I really like the value that seems to be packed into the pre-set Lynx configurations, but that older CPU is a concern for me. So, I'm wondering how long it will be until the pre-set Lynxes are due for a CPU update. I've tried doing a custom lynx configuration to upgrade the CPU, but when I do a custom build with comparable GPU/SSD settings and an 11th or 12th gen chip, the pricing is nowhere near comparable to the pre-set.

I suppose I should do some more research on my own on the difference in the chips, but I haven't been following along with Hardware stuff too much recently, so I figured I'd ask for some thoughts here.

Cheers!

Budget:
~2000 USD, not including keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers, including Windows, fully built and ready to go.

Expectations:
Biggest bang for the buck so that I can keep using this computer for a long while. I'd love to use this for another 10 years like my last Digital Storm PC. For the short term, that means getting to crank Elden Ring or God of War up to max.

Usage:
Gaming, mostly. Elden Ring, Borderlands 3, God of War, and such. Hopefully max settings at 1080p for that kind of stuff today. Obviously as years go on I'll be turning settings down for newer games. If the performance is as good as I hope, I may even go for a 1440p monitor around the holidays and see how the system does on that.

Specifications:
Looking at the Lynx Pre-built Ultimate currently, and I really like it, but concerned about how the 2-generations-old CPU will age.

Here's a copy/paste of that:

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx - Level 4 (MPN-LV4-10700F-B560-3070-V4)

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-10700F (4.8 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 2.9 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS / MSI / ASRock (Intel Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Performance Series

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Internet Access: Wireless Connectivity (Supports 802.11ac) (Integrated Motherboard Wi-Fi)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 3:18am
If you're not in that much of a hurry, you might try your luck with the new gen of Nvidia cards due in the Fall. We may strike paydirt with prices that are more consumer friendly, and that could lead to Lynx models more in line with your longer term wishes.

That said, here's what you might expect if that's not the case:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700F-vs-Intel-Core-i5-12600/m1183814vsm1751978

Price will be the key factor, and these two are quite close. The difference in capability is not that different, and won't effect gaming results for awhile yet. Happily, CPUs are out in front of the curve in serving us gamers. The capabilities of the 12000 series with their hybrid chip combo don't do a lot for gaming, so comparing the two isn't "apples to apples". Look at this instead:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700F-vs-Intel-Core-i9-11900K/m1183814vs4110

Last gen's TOP proc is a whopping(?) 4% stronger. The 10700F is cheap enough to keep Lynxes attractive because it doesn't have on-board video (who cares), and it's not unlockable. We don't currently think overclocking nets much performance for the extra heat and wear anyway. So it's still a worthwhile investment with quite some future left for a gaming rig. 8 cores turbo-ing to 4.8 is pretty nice.

The 10700F won't bottleneck your 3070, and won't entirely ruin performance of the right card a gen or two up the line. Ten years, no. But the pace tech is moving, you can't spend enough to buy that IMHO.

Hope it helps.    
Florpldorp View Drop Down

Quote Florpldorp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 3:06pm
Thanks, this does help!

So, I've looked around, and I'm able to find some slightly better configurations for a similar price, but none from a company I trust as much as DS. It's likely I'll pull the trigger on that Lynx pretty soon.

One thing: There isn't one specific motherboard listed, and I expect I'll probably end up wanting to put in an additional 16GB of RAM at some point in the future (honestly, I really wish I could just ask them to plug the extra RAM in before they send it!)

Since I don't know what MB will be used, is there any way to find out or confirm how many RAM channels they'll use in the build and how many that will leave open? I see the RAM is listed as Digital Storm Performance Series. Is that going to cause any issues finding compatible sticks in the future if I need to use a different brand?

Edit:
To be more clear, I'm worried about situations like:
-MB has 2 slots for RAM, both are filled. I need to replace everything if I want to upgrade.
-RAM is 1x16GB stick, when I believe I've heard that dual channel is faster?
-RAM is 2x8GB with 2 more channels open, but there's something unique about the Digital Storm RAM that makes adding another 2x8 GB more difficult than just looking up the right MHZ and plugging in 2x8 GB more

Edited by Florpldorp - 14 Apr 2022 at 3:22pm
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Florpldorp

Since I don't know what MB will be used, is there any way to find out or confirm how many RAM channels they'll use in the build and how many that will leave open? I see the RAM is listed as Digital Storm Performance Series. Is that going to cause any issues finding compatible sticks in the future if I need to use a different brand?

I do not know if the following is up-to-date but More Info of the Motherboard section:
Originally posted by Digital Storm

CPU Socket Type      LGA 1200
Chipset      Intel H410

Memory
Number of Memory Slots     2 × 288pin
Maximum Memory Supported     64GB
Channel Supported      Dual Channel

Memory Standard
Intel Core i7/i9
Supports up to DDR4 2933 MHz
Intel Core i5 and below
Supports up to DDR4 2666 MHz

Expansion Slots
PCI Express 3.0 x16     1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16
PCI Express x1     1 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slot (From PCH)
Other Slots     1 x M.2 slot with E key for WiFi module only

Storage Devices
SATA 6Gb/s      4 x SATA 6Gb/s
M.2     1 x M.2 slot (Key M)
M2_1 supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s, 2242/2260/2280 storage devices

Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset      Realtek ALC892
Audio Channels      7.1 Channels

Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset     Intel I219-V
Max LAN Speed     10/100/1000Mbps

Rear Panel Ports
Back I/O Ports     1 x DVI-D / 1 x HDMI / 1 x LAN (RJ45) / 1 x PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Combo / 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A / 3 x Audio Jacks / 4 x USB 2.0/1.1

Internal I/O Connectors
Onboard USB     1 x USB 2.0 connector (supports additional 2 USB 2.0 ports)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen1 5Gbps connector (supports additional 2 USB 3.2 Gen1 5Gbps ports)
Other Connectors     1 x 4-pin CPU fan connector
1 x 4-pin system fan connector
1 x Front panel audio connector
2 x Front panel connectors
1 x Serial port connector
1 x TPM module connector
1 x Chassis Intrusion connector
1 x Clear CMOS jumper
4 x EZ Debug LED

Physical Spec
Form Factor     Micro ATX
Dimensions (W x L)     9.3" x 7.5"
Power Pin     1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector

My guess is DS populates both slots for dual-channel support. You can, of course, contact DS. Either way, my recommendation would be to choose a good DDR4-3000 kit (e.g., G.Skill Aegis Series). I am not seeing DDR4-2666 rated sticks any cheaper (or only a few dollars cheaper) and they have worse true latency.

Lastly, a visual aid to compliment @Cretae's explanation:

Elden Ring - Max Settings (Intel Core i5 10400f + RTX 3050) | Evandro Guilherme Schardong (YouTube)

RTX 3070 - i7 10700F - Elden Ring - 1080p - Maximum Settings | fExGaming (YouTube)

Elden Ring FPS Uncapped - RTX 3070 - 1080p, 1440p, 4K | Jegs TV (YouTube)
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 3:13am
I'm quite sure you will receive 2x8GB sticks for dual channel.

IMHO you won't find there's much gain for gaming in 32GB of RAM for quite some while yet. It might be a "good to have" for future if you were custom building, but it's not a particularly big deal at present. When (if) that day comes, it would be better to install all new RAM of your choosing anyway, so it matches and is of the same age. As MrCheetah's recommendation shows, this will not be a major expense.
 Post Reply Post Reply