Post Date: 2011-06-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Trevail View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $1300 budget computer
    Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 3:56pm
3 years ago I bought a Digital Storm computer and have loved it, never a problem. I've finally started to see some choppiness in new games so decided to try another DS computer.

My budget was $1200 to $1300 and I do not overclock anything. Hoping for longer life and easier cooling with no overclocks. I finally came up with this config (  564121 )with some help from Cassandra and wanted some opinions. I prefer Intel and nvidia as with that setup I have yet to see a game or program give me problems.

Thanks for any advice given.

Trevail
Trevail View Drop Down

Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 6:30pm
I wanted to add that the monitor I use is a 22in Samsung lcd and I usually have it set to 1680 x 1250 for gaming. For comparison my 3 yr old system is a dual core 2 2.66, 2 gigs ram at 800mhz, 9800 gt 512mb, 250 gb 7200rpm harddrive, windows xp.

Hoping this will be quite an improvement over the old system. The professional windows 7 is because someone told me that the xp mode in Prof would allow me to play some of my older xp games? If not would lower this to win 7 home.
coolmasta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coolmasta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:25pm
Well honestly I think you are seeing chopiness due to the old video card, and not due to adverse effects of over clocking. For that budget I would save another $200 and buy the ODE.
I7 2600k @ 4.5 Ghz, Noctua D14
8 Gigs Corsair 1600
HAF 922
Evga Gtx 580
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:29am
OC has nothing to do with choppiness as a matter of fact its helping you to get less, disable your oc and watch how slow and worst your pc becomes.

why not upgrade your gpu is that is all the problem you have?

otherwise with your buget I would look at the ode models.

as far as that ticket number goes, when it comes to performace and reliablity, and getting most power for your money, that config falls short.

it would need to be changed to this:

Ticket Number: 564921

Trevail View Drop Down

Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 11:47am
I think I have maybe confused a couple people some how. I never said overclocking made things choppy just that I prefer to not overclock. Maybe its just my age but I like everything running at stock levels for longevity. I know the choppiness comes from just the age of all the components and still trying to run COD black ops lol.

I would be still using the older computer for all my xp games and the kids to use. Would upgrading the video card be worth it with the dual core proc or would it be the hold back?

I will take a look at the configs you recommended. Sorry for any confusion.
Trevail View Drop Down

Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:18pm
It's funny how as much time I have spent on the site and configurations I never paid attention to the ODE section. Very nice computers and definetly better than my configs. I just can not break the $1400 mark as that is what I have to work with.

I would save for the better setup except in a couple of weeks I will be moving into a new place and my budget at that time will be far to limited to buy a new system. One of the reasons I'm looking now before the move eats any of that saved money up :).

Thanks for all the help given and advice. Still looking over the configs mentioned. Anyone know if the professional Win 7 will allow me to play some of my older xp games or better to just go with the win 7 home edition?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 2:27am
Thanks for clearing it up, but I like to give you some info.

I'm not sure what kind of ocing you been doing but an oc of 4.4GHz with a vcore of 1.38 or lower, your cpu will live over 8 years, so I'm not sure what ocing has to do with longivity, unless you been dealing with high ocs that are not meant for 24/7 use or somebody has been setting bad oc for you, otherwise, 3.9GHz to 4.4GB on the p67 with vcore lower then 1.4 will have no real effect on your cpu's life.

to not oc these cpus, is like buying a Lamborghini but driving it to the front gate and back.

Do a good low vcore oc (DS will do it for you) and get much much much more performance and don't have to worry about cpu's life.

I didn't mention ode to you cause its not in your budget.

gpu upgrade should help a lot, and worst case senario, you take the gpu and put it in a new pc if the gpu upgrade does not do it for you.

win7 pro has xp mode, which is really you running a virtual pc on your desktop and that vpc will be running xp, not sure how the graphics will work in the vpc tho as far as game performance goes.

the build I corrected for you is $1403, every part there is there for a good reason, for example the psu is corsair for quality and reliability as it has a 5 year warranty, the other psu we don't know the real brand and has only a 2 year warranty.
 Post Reply Post Reply