FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$1500 gaming pc, need help choosing

Post Date: 2012-07-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nick779 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nick779 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $1500 gaming pc, need help choosing
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:26pm
well, i had a rather large post typed out identifying what my wants and needs were, but the software at DS detected a link and called it spam, that link went to a custom config on DS own website, which caused me to waste another 15 minutes to type this all again.

/end rant

-budget $1500 for tower ONLY, i have a mouse and keyboard, and ill purchase a monitor seperately
Requirements:
- at least a 2500k, but id prefer a 3570k
- non flashy case like the carbide 400r
- high end gpu (high+ settings most games like bf3 at 1080p, im pretty set on the 670 2gb open to alternatives also)
- corsair psu
- good cpu cooler (hyper 212 evo)
- mid tower size
- USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case
- 8gb of ram

Things id like:
- ssd boot drive

I love everything about the ode lvl 1 ($1499) minus the a50 cooler, i dont understand why DS would choose a single speed fan, when for $3 more you can get the 212 evo, i kinda feel like the psu may be slightly inadequate too at 600w

I configured a pc for $1469 that basically mirrored the ode lvl 1, but had a corsair carbide 400r which is a good case, just not quite as sharp as the ODE, the hyper 212 evo, and a 800w psu, i could also get an ssd setup for $1579, but thats over budget.

heres the saved ticked to that pc config:709992

Any of you have an opinion on which you would choose or what you would do?

Edited by nick779 - 19 Jul 2012 at 2:37pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:48pm
Hi nick779.......Welcome to the forums.     You put together a very good rig for the money.     ODE lvl 1 and yours will game the same.      The A50 is a good cooler for stage 1 oc’ing but the 212 is rated a bit better.      The 600w is all you need but the 800w does give you more headroom and a 5yr vs 3 yr warranty .   Smart move.     For the money the ODE is tough to beat but if you' re willing to spend more then go for it.    My only suggestion with your build is to go for $25 more the 500R case.     It has better cooling with its side panel 200mm fan.    You put some work into your picks and it shows.     Hope this helps and good luck.        Don't forget your free t-shirt.

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jul 2012 at 2:50pm
nick779 View Drop Down

Quote nick779 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:27am
what would you guys do? get the ode and live with the cooler/upgrade later? or go the custom route?   should i stick with the 3570k, or go to the 2500k and maybe get an ssd setup?
ssd would be nice, but i dont necessarily need it. as for the case, id prefer a smaller tower, but the ode and the 400r seem to be close to the same size
are the ode pcs stress tested like the other pcs too?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:49am
Hi nick779,

I think you are placing too much importance being able to adjust the fan speed on these low level coolers. My personal preference is to have my CPU cooler operating at the highest level of cooling. I want the most CPU cooling I can get. With these low level coolers you will need them operating at full speed to be effective. I think for the ODE level 1 the difference in the cpu coolers is a non-issue. At least for me.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:54am
If it was my money and $1499 was my budget, I would get the ODE level one.  It has a better case with better cooling with its 2x 200mm fans, and a HDD twice the size.  You might not need all that storage so that might be a non issue for you.

The only reason for your build would be the 800 w psu.  The cpu coolers are both gonna get the job done, with little difference.  The advantage of the 800w psu is the 5 year warranty through DS, but you are paying another $70 for it and the cost to have it shipped to you if it fails. 

I say ODE 1 and if you want a SSD you can add one yourself.  When you said your build with a SSD would be $1579, that's without adding another HDD for storage which you need, if I did the math correctly.

Only you can decide the best route, but my money would be ODE.

Hope this helps.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Jul 2012 at 9:55am
nick779 View Drop Down

Quote nick779 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 3:17pm
do the ode pcs come with the spare cables from the mobo, and psu(if modular)?

im confident i can install the ssd, but setting it up as the boot drive would be a little confusing for me
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 5:59pm
Hi nick779,

That is a really good question.  I know DS sends all the extra components from custom builds as I have had 2 computers build by DS. 

Someone who has received an ODE or Alex will have to answer this one.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 6:10pm
They do usually come with some spare connectors. If you need some specific ones, just let us know when you order, and include those notes in the "Special Notes" on the ordering process.
nkinnear View Drop Down

Quote nkinnear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 6:44pm
How bout this configurtion (#710459); Slade level 1, with the video upgraded to nvidia 670, and the cooling system changed to Air Stage 1, with the Evo fan.  It comes out to $1549.  If you really need to get down to $1500, you could opt out of the O/C and save $49.  I have been looking to configure a system for about that price myself, and think thats the way I will go.
nick779 View Drop Down

Quote nick779 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Alex

They do usually come with some spare connectors. If you need some specific ones, just let us know when you order, and include those notes in the "Special Notes" on the ordering process.

good to know, also are the ode pcs all stress tested like the custom builds too?

Originally posted by nkinnear

How bout this configurtion (#710459); Slade level 1, with the video upgraded to nvidia 670, and the cooling system changed to Air Stage 1, with the Evo fan.  It comes out to $1549.  If you really need to get down to $1500, you could opt out of the O/C and save $49.  I have been looking to configure a system for about that price myself, and think thats the way I will go.

I got an epoch to 1460 something configured the way i like with the 400r, but i was just debating on exactly what i should do, whether i stick with the 3570k or go with a 2500k and add a ssd boot drive, but im thinking ill just stick with the ode depending how my money situation ends up when im ready to buy
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 1:37pm
ODE's are stress tested the same as customs.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 1:43pm
Correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply