FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$2,500 or so...

Post Date: 2012-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DMan77 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DMan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $2,500 or so...
    Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 8:44pm
Hello friends!

I must have built about 30 machines here and I just can't decide which one to pull the trigger on, so I'm turning to you all!

My budget sits at about $2,500-$2,600ish... Looking to get lost in my games the best I possibly can. I'm currently using a 27 inch monitor, and headphones for the sound.

I can't decide if I should go with a full tower or one of the smaller ones. I really don't know the advantages/disadvantages of either. I also can't decide if it's worth it to make the leap from the 3820 processor to the 3930.

So many options. I'm hoping someone out there feels like trying their hand at a build for me.

Thank you in advance!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 4:09am
Hi DMan77.... For your budget check out the ODE level 4.    The sli, 2x gtx670 will drive your monitor to real nice gaming.    

The 3939k cpu is a 6 core chip and more than gaming will use.   Its great for editing, 3Dmodeling and other apps that can utilize it.   

If there's something about the ODE 4 that turns you off then let us know and we can do a custom build for you.

Good luck.
DMan77 View Drop Down

Quote DMan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 5:25am
Thank you for the reply! That's good to know about the 3939k. 

I do like the ODE 4. I've gone back and fourh to it a number of times.

I think the two biggest questions I have are a) is the 800 watt power supply enough for now and for the future? Say at somepoint I decide to upgrade my video cards? To throw out an over-used term, I'd really like to 'future proof' as much as I can.

And b) I'm a little attached  to blue lights over the red, but I don't imagine those can be switched? I haven't asked. Not the biggest deal and I doubt it would stop me from pulling the trigger on this at the end of the day.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 7:09am
Hey DMan --

In regard to is it enough power - DS will build the system with the power supply it needs, but say for example you need a better PS in the future. Switching out a power supply for a newer (better?) one isn't hard at all. Digital Storm may even walk you though such a procedure.   Even, if they didn't the forums are an invaluable resource.

About the ODE4 -- those things are gaming monsters. This is why the ODE is one of DS's highest professionally rated systems. Combined with awesome power and a robust warranty you can't go wrong with the ODE or Digital Storm.

Regards,

Xii
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 7:39am
xii is right about the ODE performance for the buck and the 800w psu. Every generation of video card has been more energy efficient, but of course there is no way to look into the future. 

Just to try to get you a great performing rig and a rig with the blue scheme, which would look real nice, see if this is closer to what you want.

Config # 756340      Cost $ 2353

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

You get the performance of the ODE 4 with sli gtx670.

The 800W psu does have a switch where 3 colors, one blue, can be selected to bath the back section in blue. 

I normally don't recomment the LED fan upgrade but I think, and you'd have to ask DS for sure, they might change the fans on the Noctua D14 with 2 blue LED fans.  The HafX front fan is red with on/off switch, but also ask if they'll swap it with a blue 200mm fan, not part of the LED package.  If not you can turn the red LED off.

The internal blue lighting will also look nice.

Another way to go is the 300R case.  It does have mounts, front, side and top for 120mm fans.  Keep in mind that the many small fans will be alot noisier than a case with a couple of large slow moving fans that are pretty quiet.

The HafX case is a better case, more room and great cooling and quiet  and the one I recommend, but its your call of course.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.Big%20Smile 

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Nov 2012 at 7:48am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 8:37am
Hi DMan77,

Well I seldom disagree with bprat22 but I have some different ideas. Not that bprat22 doesn't have a great system, I would just make a couple of changes.

1. Since you were concerned with the 800W power supply I would get the 1050w PS for another $125. This will give you the future proof you were asking about.

2. The Blue performance fans are 120mm fans that turn at 2000rpm. So you will replace a 230mm and two 200mm fans that turn at much slower speeds. Slower speed equals less noise. If you must have blue fans then ask for the 200mm blue fans from this address: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9774/fan-617/Cooler_Master_MegaFlow_200mm_x_30mm_Blue_LED_Fan_Cosmos_S_HAF_Series_ATCS_840_Storm_Sniper_R4-LUS-07AB-GP.html

There will be an additional charge for the fans as they will have to be special ordered. You will also be changing the front 230mm fan with a 200mm fan. That is better than replacing it with a 120mm.

3. If you need a mid-case then go with the ODE-4. I think the 300R is a poor case choice with your budget.

Frank

Post Reply Post Reply