Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2 New DS's arrived
    Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 9:41pm
I ordered two of the "i5 Value 2" PCs that I received last Friday.  One for my wife and one for my kids as both their Dells were on their last legs.  This makes three DS's in the house as I bought an i7-920 last November - still runs great (OC'd to just under 3.8 on air).

Overall pretty happy with the purchase. 

Ouch On the plus side - these things scream compared to the old Dells.  DS did give me 64-bit Vista at n/c as they were out of 32-bit.  This is a plus as I prefer 64-bit and would have gone 64-bit when I go Win7.  OC'd as promised to 3.3.  No issues on boot up, nothing loose and another great wiring job.

Question On the negative side - one of the parts boxes was missing the SLI bridge and power cord so DS is shipping those to me - and yes I know that it is currently underpowered for SLI right now, but hey it's part of the package.  So shipping out the parts reverses the negative based on the customer service.

WinkThe biggest negative is with one of the PSUs.  As these are pre-configured (I think that is the better term than pre-built as I don't believe they have these on the shelf ready to ship; but they do have the necessary parts on hand) so you kinda get the parts that are there.  Both PSU's were 550w; one by Coolmax and one by Enhance Electronics.  The Enhance one was so loud to give a headache if sitting by it for any length of time.  It even overpowered the noise of the GTS 250 fan until it was up to around 70-80%.  When I inquired to DS the response back was yes these PSU's are a bit loud, however they are of good quality.  After that feedback I ordered a Corsair VX550w from Newegg that came today (on sale, free shipping, rebate).  Just finished switching the PSU and it is nice and quiet; however I can't match the DS wiring. 

Overall: 8/10.  Machine 1 = 9/10 (missing parts that are being shipped).  Machine 2 = 7/10 (way too loud original PSU).

Picture of one of the machines:

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 2:32pm
I'm sorry to hear that one of the power supplies were too loud for your tastes. We would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative to take care of the situation.

Moving froward, I hope you enjoy your new systems!
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 3:16pm
Hi Alex, that was not the impression I got from the response on the PSU noise.  I also sent something via the send message on your customer service page. 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 6:58pm
Understood, if you sent a message to the message board, our staff will take care of it and you.
 Post Reply Post Reply