Post Date: 2016-06-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2 questions...Monitors and W10
    Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 4:32pm
Might as well ask 2 questions and get it over with. While listening to the White Album(us old timers will know who that is)

Monitors:
So reading the forums I'm wondering about getting a new monitor. My Dell U3014 is still fabulous and running strong.

This monster I'm looking at. Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (3440 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display (X34 bmiphz)

BUT will my old card GTX680 handle this monitor? Should I wait and upgrade to a better card whenever I get a new system? By the way as a former Dell user I was VERY sceptical of their monitors. Well they got the monitors right at least(thanks DST4ME for turning me on to Dells). Or is my old I7 990x extreme to old also for a new monitor?

W10:
I love my W7 Ultimate on my(not hubbys as he has W8) systems. When I tried to install W10 last year on my DS Behemoth laptop it crashed it. Read that alot of laptops had the same problem. So now have they fixed the laptop issues? And should I try W10 install again on my laptop? I really want to use that OS on my Behemoth since it has all the new stuff. As far as my "old" cube I don't know.

Comments please.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

Might as well ask 2 questions and get it over with. While listening to the White Album(us old timers will know who that is)

Monitors:
So reading the forums I'm wondering about getting a new monitor. My Dell U3014 is still fabulous and running strong.

This monster I'm looking at. Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (3440 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display (X34 bmiphz)

BUT will my old card GTX680 handle this monitor? Should I wait and upgrade to a better card whenever I get a new system? By the way as a former Dell user I was VERY sceptical of their monitors. Well they got the monitors right at least(thanks DST4ME for turning me on to Dells). Or is my old I7 990x extreme to old also for a new monitor? i'll speak in general terms, you'll see fps drop down into the 40-45 range with high-ultra settings on a 27", not sure what an ultra wide performance would be like, i mean it's still the same number of pixels, but then again my old 590 wasn't as strong at surround as it was with a single 1080p monitor. 

W10:
I love my W7 Ultimate on my(not hubbys as he has W8) systems. When I tried to install W10 last year on my DS Behemoth laptop it crashed it. Read that alot of laptops had the same problem. So now have they fixed the laptop issues? And should I try W10 install again on my laptop? I really want to use that OS on my Behemoth since it has all the new stuff. As far as my "old" cube I don't know. i updated my wife's Toshiba laptop from W8 to W10 and no crashes/problems.

Comments please.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:29am
Hi RPGer... As far as your "old" cube, I have Windows 10 on my older Ode system from 2011 and a much older Dell and the process went effortlessly.   

Edited by bprat22 - 07 Jun 2016 at 2:30am
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:27pm
Hi guys . So started installing W10 this morning at 0300. Boy did that take a while. And I have problems. Not giving up yet.......yet. Only on my laptop for now.

Think I will wait on a new monitor until I get a more fancy card.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 2:52am
Hi oldlady,

My update to 10 form 7 was easy. What kind of problems are you having? Win-10 is pretty good at helping you fix things. Use the search function in the taskbar for help. It is easier to find things with search rather than looking in the settings.

Good luck.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply