FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 budge for an mmo pc

Post Date: 2010-05-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shaelen View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2000 budge for an mmo pc
    Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:18pm
Hey guys, been shopping around and I'm really impressed with the forums as well as the reputation/quality of the pcs here. I'm looking to replace my HP with a nice custom gaming pc. I'm trying to stay around or under 2,000. I play mostly mmorpgs but my comp has been struggling lately. I want something that will not only be good now but last for awhile too. Even though I play a lot of games, sadly I don't know much about computers. All the new intel chips and graphics cards are confusing. My current monitor is 19'' hp running at 1440X900. It would be nice to upgrade to something bigger/sharper in the future. Anyone have any advice on a good build to get the best bang for my buck?
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:59pm
I would recommend:

ticket number: 404769 - $1989.00

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Maelstrom
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master V8 High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Green)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:45pm
thanks so much for your help! This seems pretty perfect.  Do you think its worth splurging on upgrading the cooling a little? My comp has problems overheating now and I don't want problems like that again, espeically with overclocking.  Last q, is it possible to switch the case with a diff one?  or is that a good case for air flow and stuff?  oh and how about upgrading chasis airflow? does that help?  
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Shaelen

thanks so much for your help! This seems pretty perfect.  Do you think its worth splurging on upgrading the cooling a little? My comp has problems overheating now and I don't want problems like that again, espeically with overclocking.

The V8 is a great cooler for overclocking from what I've seen, spending any more than that will show very little performance gain per $ spent, upgrading to a Noctua would lower temps by ~2-4c but I personally don't feel that it would be necessary.  I highly doubt you would have any temp problems with a OC less than 4ghz. 

Last q, is it possible to switch the case with a diff one?  or is that a good case for air flow and stuff?  oh and how about upgrading chasis airflow? does that help?  

Yep, you can change to most any of the other cases for ~30$ or less though the Maelstrom should provide plenty of air flow and room for upgrades with your setup.  I doubt you would see a noticeable temperature change if you switched to another case, though if you like some of the features on another case better it wouldn't hurt.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:54pm
1 drop from 930 to 920 there is no difference between the chips besides a higher factory clock... they oc the same

2 drop the v8 for a noctua either 1 is better then the v8

3 case switch the haf 932 if u have the space better airflow/upgradeable

4 if you are never going to use a add one pcie card or sli/crossfire. choose the evga micro. with the micro u will still have room to grow... you can choos either a another card down the road or a add on card. by the time you will want to swirtch video cards there will be soemthign ebtter then 2x of the cards you have now so i don't see the needs for sli/crossfire for you
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:33pm
Noctua cools better is a bit more quiet also, for $20 IMO Its worth it.

920 is all you need, no difference with 930.

I like the 932 better for case here, and keep in mind if your room temp is high then no cooling can help you, cause all cooling would be blowing the warm air of your room.
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:04pm
cool, thanks for all the tips guys! I was just reading that about the 920s, so that will help save a few bucks I'm assuming. Also read about that other fan, so I'll have to check that out. Are the chasis fans worth it to you guys? What's the diff. between that and the noctua fan? Is it just the placement of it? If anything, they look cool right? heh

How do you guys feel about the graphics card? Most people tend to lean towards Nvidia but is the ATI the better choice here? Should I upgrade it to a more expensive one? As far the SLI, is it correct that it only is beneficial if you are using 2 superior cards? like, 1 lower end + 1 lower end isn't greater than 1 higher end card right? It would be nice to have the option to go to two cards, but I can see where one really nice card will probably be fine. All this help is great btw and is making me more excited for my new comp
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 10:25pm

cool, thanks for all the tips guys! I was just reading that about the 920s, so that will help save a few bucks I'm assuming.

18$ I thought Intel discontinued them for the 930 and didn't bother to look as I though DS stopped carrying them.

Also read about that other fan, so I'll have to check that out. Are the chasis fans worth it to you guys? 

The chasis fans are a waste of money IMO, with one video card and a moderate overclock they just aren't worth the money.  Even with a higher overclock and multiple video cards they probably aren't worth the money, other reviewers also complain about them being loud. 

What's the diff. between that and the noctua fan? Is it just the placement of it? If anything, they look cool right? heh

The Noctua is a CPU cooler, the other fans are for chassis airflow.  I think they look cool but with a 2k budget I'd rather spend every last $ on performance.

How do you guys feel about the graphics card? Most people tend to lean towards Nvidia but is the ATI the better choice here? Should I upgrade it to a more expensive one? 

The 5850 is a great card up to resolutions of 1600x1200 or the 16:10 or 16:9 equivalent.

Performance between NVIDIA and ATI looks something like this:

480gtx>5870>470gtx>5850. 

All 4 of the mentioned cards overclock fairly well.  

400 series - Runs very hot 90c(but is designed to run at high temps as well), supports DX11 does better than ATI with very high AA/AF, much better at images with high tessellation.

5000 series - DX11 ready, less expensive than 400 series, great at overclocking, runs much cooler than 400 series. 

200 series - Waste of money

Disclaimer - In before I get jumped by fan boys.  What I've written is a BROAD GENERALIZATION and does not always hold true, every game is different and will preform differently depending on resolution, AA, AF, and many other factors

As far the SLI, is it correct that it only is beneficial if you are using 2 superior cards?

SLI and Crossfire will produce more heat and are generally not needed unless you have a 30" monitor or multiple monitors. 

like, 1 lower end + 1 lower end isn't greater than 1 higher end card right? It would be nice to have the option to go to two cards, but I can see where one really nice card will probably be fine. All this help is great btw and is making me more excited for my new comp

It depends on what cards we're talking about, what game you are playing and a dozen other factors.  Typically I'd recommend you stick with one card as not all games benefit from SLI / Crossfire in addition to the extra heat/power usage. 

Edited by Herniter - 10 May 2010 at 10:26pm
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2010 at 9:14pm
Cool, thanks again for all of your help    I started going back through the posts and noticed a decent amount of 2k budget threads, so I appreciate everyone being helpful even though they were probably repeating themselves heh.

Do you think a system like this will remain decent for a while? It's a shame that a 2k budget seems average. If I were to splurge a little more, should I put it into upgrading to a higher graphics card? If I upgrade to a bigger monitor, what would have to change from the current configs?

Edited by Shaelen - 12 May 2010 at 9:15pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2010 at 1:26am
If new monitor is gonna be 1900 x 1200 then yes you will either need to oc the heck out of the 5850 or get a 5870/480.

otherwise this system is gonna be good for a long while, the good thing about these pcs are that you can upgrade them, you can upgrade the cpu to a 6 core and you can always upgrade the gpu to a more powerful one, say in 3 years or so.
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2010 at 7:15pm
awesome, thanks again for all your help! Is it hard to replace a cpu? I've put in my own GPUs before and that's quite easy. Down the road, would I be able to send it back to DS to have them swap out the cpu?

Last q, I think, is this the same HAF 932 that DS has? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 Looks awesome on Newegg with the side panel and colored fan.

Oh, if I live in Illinois, should I be worried about shipping here? What happens if something breaks along the way?
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:58pm

awesome, thanks again for all your help! Is it hard to replace a cpu? I've put in my own GPUs before and that's quite easy. Down the road, would I be able to send it back to DS to have them swap out the cpu?

They have an upgrade plan, I would call for more specific details. 

Last q, I think, is this the same HAF 932 that DS has? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 Looks awesome on Newegg with the side panel and colored fan.

Another question an admin would have to answer :(.

Oh, if I live in Illinois, should I be worried about shipping here? What happens if something breaks along the way?

DS has great tech support and they use much better shipping materials than most other companies, expandable foam is used to hold hardware inside in place in addition to padding for the outside.  However if UPS/Fedex some how finds a way to damage the PC DS will either help you trouble shoot over the phone or ship it back to them for repairs(never at your expense). 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2010 at 3:12am
upgrading cpu is easy, from 1 to 10, 10 being hardest, I would say its 3 or a 4, some would say its a 1.

yes that is the haf 932, the front fan is red led 230mm, if you ever wanted to you can change teh side and top fans to red led also, CM makes those 230mm fans in blue or red led, the side and top fans are the exact same size as the front led fan.

when you recive the pc, if the box looks damaged, take pics first before you open it, then if you open it and its messed up or does not work, DS will take it back and fix it and send it back to you, they do a good job of packing but fedex and ups still manage to mess stuff up from time to time.
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2010 at 9:56pm
Thanks again for all your help Hern and DST; I hope they tip you guys :) I just saw their post on dropping some of their prices which let me bump up the graphics card and stay around 2k. I tried adding everyone's suggestions. How does this look? Ticket #: 406515

Few things I noticed, is there a diff between the two 750w power supplies? The Corsair is 30 bucks more but both are 750w. Also, the there's a regular NVIDIA GTX 480 and an EVGA GTX 480, is there a diff? and the two EVGA X58 MOBOs, what's the diff between the micro and LE versions again?

edit: looks like the Corsair is recommended because of better quality? So I can switch to that. For the MOBO seems like the LE allows me to add a few other cards like tv or wireless, etc. So I'll switch to that for more flexibility. Still not sure on the gpus and I should drop HD to 1TB from 1.5?

Edited by Shaelen - 14 May 2010 at 10:01pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2010 at 11:09pm
That's a good looking build. You will not need a 480 unless you are going all the way up to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. That's a 23/24/25 inch monitor. If you're not going that high, don't waste your money on a 480. Don't forget, in a year or two, there will be new cards out with cool new features you can upgrade to. 
Corsair is always recommended for reliability.
Usually, you want a HDD as small as you can get away with for HD1. There is a lot of discussion about looking to get a SSD for HD1 when prices get a bit less stratospheric. Necessarily small, the idea is the SSD holds your OS, apps, and as many of your top games as you can get in about 75% of the drive. Use more than that, it loses performance. Then you make the HDD you got with your system to HD2. If you want to go that route, it might help you decide what size you want. Personally, I'd rather have a couple of smaller drives than one big one. I got the 1T for the 32 meg cache. Figured it'd be faster. Evil%20Smile
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 12:15am
thanks :) Hmm I might want a bigger monitor in the future, but I suppose it's not essential atm. Doesn't the better graphics card help my fps when trying to play on max settings? Yea the SSD stuff sounds cool, but like you said expensive. My fiancé will kill me if I go over 2k lol. Somehow spending that much on a gaming computer seems silly to her
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 12:35am
Prices in the Special Deals section have just come down in the last day or two. Something like this would work for you.

Ticket #406574 Price: $1965

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Maelstrom
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH080G2R5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

Windows 7 and applications go on the SSD, then any games you can manage to fit. As long as you don't keep a ton of them installed at the same time you shouldn't even have any issues with keeping all your favorite ones installed on it. Don't worry about performance loss when filling it up, Intel SSDs don't really have an issue with that, but if you get concerned about it just free up a few extra GB of space.

Everything else goes on the 1TB drive. Pictures, movies, unimportant games, unimportant applications, etc.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 12:48am
Dragoonseal's new build under the new deal is great, being able to fit a SSD into a 2k build is quite impressive.  I would express my concern about the new 3 year warranty and what it covers before moving forward though.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 1:54am

The 2nd level cards are very powerful processors. At a certain point, you are maxed out at your resolution, and the extra horsepower of a top card does nothing for you. If you're not gaming at those resolutions, you shouldn't waste your money.

Dragoonseal Has  agood build for you there. He typoed, though, you want Win 7 Pro for legacy support for XP apps/games. Also, get a game & a T-shirt! Hey free is free.Thumbs%20Down
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 2:43am
well he has to make sure that he does not need more then 80GB of space, otherwise a 80GB HDD will not do. also for 1900 x 1200 he is better off with the 480 or 5870 IMO.

then there is the limited warranty vs the platinum warranty, I don't like the limited much.

you need to change to a 930 on your own ticket, drop upgraded fans, go with 1TB HDD, change psu to corsair, so basically this, Ticket Number: 406608.

however if you want the full 3 year warranty then Ticket Number: 406611

keep in mind in both cases, your psu can't do dual sli/cf cause the psu can't handle it.

the bump on gpu is only good if you still gonna get a 1900 x 1200 monitor, otherwise the 5850/470 is gonna be all you need, once you are over 50 to 60 fps then more fps will not be really noticed, at 1600 x 1200 single 5850/470 will give you 50 to 60 fps in 90% of the games.

the corsair psu is more reliable and has better quality.

the evga gpu brands have life time warranty I believe.

micro is great for people that need only one gpu and no more then pci cards.

the LE is great for people that want to have one gpu and more then 2 pci lanes or dual gpus and at least one pci lane.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 May 2010 at 2:49am
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Cretae

Dragoonseal Has  agood build for you there. He typoed, though, you want Win 7 Pro for legacy support for XP apps/games. Also, get a game & a T-shirt! Hey free is free.Thumbs%20Down

With the new prices Professional is now $42 more than Home Premium, and I don't feel having access to XP Mode is particularly worth that much, so I didn't recommend it. It may be to some people so I'll make sure to mention it as an option in the future.

So far out of the 65GB worth of applications and games I have installed the only one I've had an issue with under Windows 7 so far is Master of Orion, which is an old DOS based game circa 1993. I don't even rightly remember if it ran under Win XP or not.

Originally posted by DST4ME

well he has to make sure that he does not need more then 80GB of space, otherwise a 80GB HDD will not do. also for 1900 x 1200 he is better off with the 480 or 5870 IMO.

then there is the limited warranty vs the platinum warranty, I don't like the limited much.

If they do decide to get a 1900x1200 monitor and are interested in running very demanding games at max settings then yes go with a GTX 480 or ATI 5870. But if they decide to stay with the 1440x900 monitor or don't need to be maxing all the really demanding games then the less powerful GTX 470 or ATI 5850 are the better bang for the buck cards that will help them stay within their budget. The concern about the limited warranty is very valid though, and Alex suggested that DS might consider offering full warranty options for the Special Deals PCs, so you may as well put off purchasing for just a bit to see what kind of a decision they make on that.

As for SSD space, it isn't a concern. They won't have just 80GB of space, they'll have 1080GB of space. As long as you can fit the OS and maybe a few key applications on the SSD you're golden, everything else is just a bonus luxury. Anything you can't fit on the SSD just install on the 1TB HDD. Besides, you can fit plenty on 80GB (74.5GB formatted). I have Windows 7 Profession (~12GB), 14 full games (~55GB) and 35 other assorted applications (~10GB) only taking up a total of 76.9GB on Lilim's SSDs. Most programs don't take up much space, it will usually be the games hogging all the space, so just make sure to uninstall the ones you aren't playing anymore or install them on the 1TB HDD instead.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 11:50am
you guys rock I think it would be sweet to be able to squeeze in the 80GB SSD. I think that would cover my few games and OS. Thanks for the info on the GPUs; I'm so use to the thinking that more expensive=better. These forums have been a great resource to realize that that isn't always the case if that extra power isn't being utilized. Is there a page that covers the info on the warranty changes? I saw Alex's post about lower prices, and I know it's because of changes to the warranty. I suppose I should wait until that's all figured out before placing my order. Thanks again for everyone's help, this will def. be my best comp yet!

edit: seems like Alex clarified the warranty stuff. I'm torn as to what to do now >_< I posted after his post for a little extra clarification and then I can move from there. What are your guys' thoughts on which direction to go?

edit: again heh, I messed around with Black OPS edition, if I wanted to keep the premium 3 yr warranty, came to just under 2.3k with a gtx 470 gpu and no SSD. So, which would you guys do, the SSD config with limited warranty or spend teh extra 2-300 for warranty and no SSD?

Edited by Shaelen - 15 May 2010 at 6:31pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 11:30pm
Sorry, Dragoonseal, I didn't see the increase on Win 7 Pro. It does make a difference, now. It sure was a steal before! Evil%20Smile
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 4:00pm
OK how is this, it has platinum warranty?

Here you go Ticket# 407283 --- Price: $2284 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2284

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH080G2R5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Green)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

if you are going to have a monitor with 1900 x 1200 res, getting a 5870/480 is more important then a ssd.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 May 2010 at 4:01pm
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 6:02pm
cool, thanks DST :) Do you have any good monitors that you recommend? anything better than my 19" 1440x900 hp? I don't think I want something too big, but maybe middle range?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 6:13pm
well remember if you want a bigger monitor then the gpu in config needs to change to a 5870 or 480, then if that is the case, if you want the ability to go cf/sli in the future then we need to change the psu also.

so what are you thoughts?

Dell UltraSharp U2410 and HP ZR24w are 2 good ips monitor, the dell being the best of the 2.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 May 2010 at 6:13pm
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 6:49pm
soo many choices hmmm I guess a bigger monitor is more of a luxury atm. That dell does seem nice but for 500 it might be a stretch atm.   My main priority is that games run quickly and smoothly on high settings now and down the line a few years. If I can swing it, I'll try and get the 5870 or 480 so I have the option to upgrade the monitor later. Thanks again for all your help. I gotta decide if I want the better warranty too. Hmm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 7:12pm
warranty is very important IMO.

I understand, but in a few years, buy the newest gpu on the market, that one by itself should give you what you want vs a 480 or 5870

My pleasure and good luck
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 7:47pm
Might consider a monitor deal from DS. A 22" sounds like more what you're interested in, and would be a heckova upgrade from what you have. I'm just sayin....Evil%20Smile
Oh, and a 22' wouldn't over tax your card.

Edited by Cretae - 17 May 2010 at 7:49pm
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 1:08am
ya but the monitors here are all tn panels
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 1:09pm
what's the diff between a tn monitor and an ips one? I'm not up on all of this stuff heh.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 1:10pm
I understand, but my thinking is that the 22" Acer @ $160 might be affordable now, and a 22" TN is gonna knock him off his chair compared to the 19" TN he's got now. However, he can always consider this one:
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 1:40pm
Lot of stuff, but fundamentally, TN panels are 6 bit and IPS panels are 8 bit. What that means is that TN panels are only able to produce the full color gamut by using a procees called dithering. Printers use this as well. It allows software and hardware mixing and blending to achieve True Color. An IPS panel is able to produce the 16.7 million colors referred to as True Color natively, without any trickery. This often (but not always) results in an IPS panel appearing more "vibrant" and "alive", and usually brighter. An IPS panel has a much greater viewing angle than a TN panel, where off-center viewing as much as 170 degrees will not alter the look of the colors. If you have a laptop, you know that you have to adjust the screen just right to see the best color, and you have to view it head on. So, to be happy with a TN display for gaming, it should be in a place where you can be more or less directly in front of the monitor. It appears to me, however, that free standing monitors have much better viewing angles than laptops. There are more expensive TN panels that are 8 bit, but they all have the restricted viewing angle. Almost every monitor you see in stores is a TN panel, so check 'em out. if they're properly set up, they can look pretty darn good, IMO.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:19pm
ips panels have a better overall picture quality.

the technology they use are different and as far as color accuracy goes, as you mentioned, ips is dead on, which is why most graphic designers work on ips panels, cause color clarity and details are very important, all of that equals to a better picture quality.

but budget always dictates, so you got to do what you got to do, there is always time to upgrade down the road.
Shaelen View Drop Down

Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:17pm
awesome, thanks for explaining cretae and dst! Yea I will have to just upgrade some things down the road. I just want to make sure that I have everything in place now to be be able to easily do that. I would say I'm feeling comfortable with the different configs everyone has posted and it's just down to making a decision and placing my order hopefully in a week or 2 so I can enjoy it over summer   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>