FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$-2300 new build for 5780x1080

Post Date: 2011-07-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
karl0525 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote karl0525 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $-2300 new build for 5780x1080
    Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 7:41am
Was looking at building a new setup for a 3 monitor gaming rig.Already have 3- 23inch 1920x1080 montiors was wanting to be out the door for about 2500 bucks Thinking of adding extra bit of warrenty other than that open to suggetions and also is there justice for 200 dollar diffrence betwen corei5 2500k vs2600k corei7.trying to put more money towards graphics or will the core i5 oc 4-4.5 be a bottel neck for the graphics thanks in advance.

Edited by karl0525 - 04 Jul 2011 at 8:18am
Saint View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 10:48am
For 3 monitors, you're going to need a lot of vram. For $2500, you can get a nice rig, but I don't know if you can max out every game at that res. So, having said that, is your budget flexible at all, or are you ok with not maxing everything out? And you want to go with the 2600k, it will be more "future proof".
lukexcom View Drop Down

Quote lukexcom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 10:55am
Unfortunately, for triple-monitor resolutions it's recommended to do three cards in SLI or Crossfire. I don't have much experience in Crossfire so I won't comment on that.

I have a new ODE Level 3, with 2x GTX 570 HD Superclocked in SLI. I have over time built up a collection of three 20" monitors at 1600x1200 (I've since moved them to another PC for productivity uses and substituted in their place a 27" Acer 3D monitor for 3D gaming). Two cards in SLI are not really enough for the newest games. Sure, games up to about 2008-2009 run well enough, but, for example, Unengine Heaven (although gorgeous at 4800x1200+bezel correction) doesn't quite cut it for practical gaming at 23-29fps.

There are two problems you will encounter with modern games running at triple-monitor resolutions:
-not enough VRAM (really need 2GB or even 3GB of VRAM per GPU)
-not enough GPU processing power

There are a few reviews on HardOCP that try out various SLI cards at triple-monitor resolutions (here, here), and the consensus is that with two 580GTX 3GB (expensive, as normally 580s come with 1.5GB) in SLI, you can barely get comfortable fps in the 40s and 50s in Metro 2033 at the highest details. Problem is, what happens when BF3 comes out, or some other newer game that needs more horsepower still?

So basically while putting two GTX 580 (with 3GB per card, else it's a moot point) in SLI is just barely enough for today, it won't be enough within a few months for newer games coming out. Which is why 3x SLI is the way to go (also ideally with 3GB RAM per card), as it gives you enough power for today's games, and enough power for games coming up within the next year or so.

Multi-monitor gaming is expensive. It requires graphics card switches every 1.5 years ($1200-$1500) just to keep running the newest games at the highest settings and highest resolutions.
karl0525 View Drop Down

Quote karl0525 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:31am
Thanks for the input Here is what Iam going to try i dont need all the eye candy but more the better Thanks.
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - SilverStone Raven 3 <b></b>
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core) <b></b>
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition) <b></b>
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <b></b>
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz <b></b>
Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty <b></b>
karl0525 View Drop Down

Quote karl0525 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:35am
I was playing crysis 2 with the high texture pack and i had 8 gigs of ddr3 1600 mhz and it was using 80-85 percent. before the high texture pack was released it was 40ish.I think the 16gb will also help down the road any input is welcome Thanks lukexcom for your detailed input.
lukexcom View Drop Down

Quote lukexcom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by karl0525

I was playing crysis 2 with the high texture pack and i had 8 gigs of ddr3 1600 mhz and it was using 80-85 percent. before the high texture pack was released it was 40ish.I think the 16gb will also help down the road any input is welcome Thanks lukexcom for your detailed input.

Just FYI, when I said 2GB or 3GB of VRAM per GPU, I meant Video-RAM per GPU: specifically, how much Video RAM is installed on the graphics card itself, not the system RAM.

Any textures a game uses should ideally all fit into the VRAM that comes on the graphics card itself. If it can't fit in there, then the textures get stored on the computer's main RAM.

Ideally, you want all of those tectures in the VRAM on the graphics card, because that VRAM is mere centimeters away from the GPU chip itself (and has a direct link to the GPU chip itself), and not only has a lot of bandwidth to move the data around (basically like a "fat pipe"), but also lag time to fetch the data itself is very low (i.e. the time in nanoseconds it takes to move any amount of data from the VRAM to the chip). It's like a quick, short, direct superhighway/expressway between the VRAM and the GPU - it can push a lot of cars (data) at the same time, and it's a short round-trip with no interchanges, on/off-ramps, or stoplights.

But for anything that the graphics card has to throw into the system RAM, we have a problem: it's farther away, so any request has to traverse through the PCI Express socket, then to the CPU, and then to the RAM, and then the data has to go all the way back the same way. So the lag time is higher - just like encountering a bunch of stoplights in a road. Furthermore, the route has less bandwidth available - basically like a narrower road.

Again, for Nvidia Surround (3 monitor gaming), the Nvidia graphics cards usually just don't have enough on-board VRAM to do that smoothly with the newer games.

Some manufacturers, however, will offer special cards with double the VRAM on-board: For Nvidia cards you're looking at two possibilities, two of the 580 with 3GB or two of the 570 with 2.5GB. The GTX 580 normally comes with 1.5GB VRAM on the card, but there is a 3GB version available - DS has that listed as an option. Likewise, there is a GTX 570 2.5GB (normally they're 1.25GB), you may need to do a special request from DS to put that type of card in.

If you still want to give Nvidia Surround a shot but you don't want to go over $3k or so, and you're willing to live with dropping the detail settings down by a notch and having fps ranges in the 30s and 40s on the newest games (I'm personally fine with that myself, but everyone has different preferences), then I would recommend one of these (preferably the 580's if you can swing it):
-two Nvidia GTX 570 with 2.5GB each in SLI (you might need to put this in as a special request in the notes section when configuring the PC)
-two Nvidia GTX 580 with 3GB VRAM each in SLI (DS has this as an option)

In terms of Crysis 2 loading up your system RAM so much, it's essentially throwing everything it can't fit on the graphics cards into your system RAM. Honestly, I would say that if you can get the 2.5GB or 3GB Nvidia cards, then you shouldn't need to go 16GB of RAM. Worst case scenario, you can add more RAM about 1.5 to 2 years from now - but even then I'd instead recommend just upgrading to the latest pair of Nvidia Keplers (the replacement to Fermi) or their replacements.
lukexcom View Drop Down

Quote lukexcom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:55pm
Forgot to add one thing: If you plan on sticking with 2x SLI, then the Core i7 2500/2600 and P67 or Z68 motherboards are ok. This is the mid-range architecture in Intel's CPU and Motherboard lineup.

If you want to do 3x SLI, then you really should go for the high-end architecture Intel lineup: today, that's the Core i7 950/960 CPU and the X58 motherboard chipset. By December 2011/January 2012, it'll be the Sandy-Bridge-E CPUs and the X79 motherboard chipset.

The reason you need that architecture is because the P67 and Z68 chipsets only have 16 PCIe "lanes" of bandwidth available for graphics. For 2x SLI, it's mostly ok as each card gets 8 lanes. But for 3x SLI, it's not good enough, the cards will get 4 lanes each (12 lanes for 3 cards), and the last 4 lanes being wasted. That's way too little bandwidth, and the cards will start to choke.

With the x58/x79 chips, you have 32-36 PCIe lanes available. Good enough for 3x SLI, as each card will then get 8 PCIe lanes (24 total). That's still enough bandwidth for each card.

Now, regarding your config, karl0525, if your budget is still about $2300 to $2500, then I'd recommend just going with the ODE Level 3 build. It's by far the best build that you can get for $2399 in DS's lineup. And you get it shipped within 3-4 days of ordering.

Otherwise, in your config I would change out the following:
-motherboard (get the Z68 chipset and put the $ towards graphics cards instead)
-memory (too much, get the generic 8GB and put the $ towards graphics cards instead)
-HDD (recommend 120GB Intel 320 SSD along with 1TB HDD)
-power supply (recommend 1000W Corsair)
-graphics cards (you'll really need that extra VRAM for 3-monitor gaming)
-cooling (Get the A70, as Stage 2 Liquid Cooling is inferior to Stage 2 air cooling - only with Stage 4 Sub-Zero does it become superior to air cooling)
-no graphics card overclock (the small performance gain isn't worth it, especially since the cards with more VRAM will generate more heat, so the OC headroom will be even smaller than normal)
I've kept the 2500k CPU you selected to keep those costs down, in the config below.
Also, just so you're aware, the 5-year warranty is 5-years labor and 3-years parts.

So here's what that would net you, Ticket# 573266: It does put you over $3.3k, though.
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB (PhysX) (EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty

If you want to drop the warranty down to standard (3-year labor and 1-year part), then the price is down to around $3.1k.

Again, the biggest cost factor here are the high-end 3GB graphics cards in SLI. If you decide that the cost is a bit too much for you, then you should just go for the $2399 ODE Level 3, or price out the same system by hand but with a 1000W PSU for future two-card SLI upgrades. Again, 3x SLI is a waste of money for the Sandy Bridge Core i7 2500/2600 and P67 or Z68 series due to the limited PCI-Express bandwidth available. You'll need the Core i7 950/960 and the x58 chip if you need the system now, or wait for the Sandy-Bridge-E CPUs with the X79 chipset, and the Nvidia Kepler cards around December 2011/January 2012.

Anything else in between just may not be worth the cost difference.
karl0525 View Drop Down

Quote karl0525 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 3:19pm
Thanks so much for all the input going to go with the setup that i have posted as i might sell my 3 monitors and go with 1 single big 27-30 inch. my budget is maxed out at 2500 and i like the 5 year 3 year parts plan by that time it will be time to do it all over again.anyone have the raven 3 case any comments good or bad about it Thanks again for everybody helping out
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 7:25pm
I would go with 2600k for better future performance.

I would go with 1000w corsair psu.

I would go with a70 or noctua coolers as they beat teh h60/h70.

haf x is better then raven 3, it has more room and better air flow.

for gaming you don't need 16GB of ram.

In short we would not recommend you going with the config you posted due to the fact that you can get better performance and reliability.
Saint View Drop Down

Quote Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 7:41pm
If your budget is maxed at $2500, the ODE stage 3 is a great deal. Or, for $2,484, you can go with something like this:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

The difference between this and the ODE is: ODE has Bluray player and SSD, this build has a better PSU, MoBo, cpu cooler, more upgrade friendly. So it boils down to what you are looking for.

Also, I'd listen to DST, he will help get you the most bang for your buck. And I have to agree with him, you have some waste in your current build and would recommend changing some things around
karl0525 View Drop Down

Quote karl0525 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 8:14pm
ok will consider all of your input thanks for your knowledge
karl0525 View Drop Down

Quote karl0525 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 5:13pm
Have changed a littile bit of stuff and put my order in todayDroolingThis is what i think will work best for  Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (PhysX) (EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H70 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warrantyme thanks for the input from all.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:08pm
your psu has only a 2 year warranty, the one we recommended has a 5 year warranty and a great track record.

the a70 is a better cooler and does a better job then the h70.

and with that mobo if you ever need to get the battery out, its under the armor so good luck with that pain.

in teh future you will regret not getting the 2600K.

having said all that, its still nice build, Congrats
karl0525 View Drop Down

Quote karl0525 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 6:31pm
The 1000 watt psu wont fit the raven-3 we are back to the 800 watt-gs.Iam glad they are giving it a 5 year warranty as im afraid it will be maxed out all the time also stepped up to stage 2 overclock.might as well squezze the most i can out of it. Also got the 1tb hard drive and the memory cooling (more for looks) and changed to blue case lighting any comments on the changes all ears thanks again
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 12:26am
You are better off going with a haf and the 1000w corsair, it makes not sense to me to be honest.
 Post Reply Post Reply