FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$2500 Hassle-Free Gaming

Post Date: 2013-10-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Furiant View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Furiant Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $2500 Hassle-Free Gaming
    Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 6:18am
Budget:
$2500 max

Expectations:
3-5 years of not having to worry about fiddling with quality settings in games.

Usage:
Single-player and MMO games. Single monitor at 27" (2560 x 1440).

Special Needs:
Dust protection

Saved Ticket #: 877529

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm ODE V3
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Intel Thunderbolt Technology)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX
Storage Set 1: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Storage Set 2: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (High Performance Cooler)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Questions
I have not built a system in quite some time. I know what the components do, but I'm not up to speed on the particulars of them, compatibility, etc.

I think I want a 780. I don't game in multi-monitor mode so I have little reason to SLI; and I don't want to deal with SLI issues. The Titan... I just don't get it. Sounds like they need an economics refresher. Feel free to enlighten me.

1. Air/Liquid/Hybrid Cooling

It doesn't have to be pin-drop silent, but I don't want a jet landing every few minutes while I'm gaming. When I last built a system, liquid cooling was pretty new and viewed with some skepticism. I assume they've worked out most of the problems by now. I think I could live with a cup of liquid sitting on my motherboard at this point, but it would need to be zero maintenance.

Also, I live in a converted warehouse with lots of dust just can't be kept up with. I can keep the rig off the floor, but a case with a lot of grills sucking air through it will probably not work. What is there in the way of sealed/filtered intake that could help with this? Or am I looking at liquid cooling everything?

2. Motherboard/RAM

I have some budget to spare, so I thought I'd upgrade the RAM, but I'm not sure how much 1866 or 2100 would really bring to the table. I also don't which boards are compatible with those, or if there are issues with certain games, etc. It used to be that putting high-end RAM in a low-end motherboard was a waste because your bus would bottleneck the RAM anyway. Probably that's still the case. Could use some advice.

3. Processor

I know the ideal design of 3d games is to maximize video card use and minimize CPU use, but the fact is the developers tend to optimize for either Nvidia or ATI and almost completely ignore the other. Also there are things like Scaleform (Flash-based UI API for game developers) that are horribly inefficient and use almost no video resources, so some overhead can definitely help. I'm not sure whether today's games are making use of 6 cores vs 4, though. The price difference is pretty crazy. I don't want to gimp myself but I also want a good performance to price ratio.

4. Overclocking

I think I'm out of the loop on overclocking. It was pretty arcane when I was doing it, and there was always the ominous 'without a net' aspect of blowing your warranty. Now it seems like companies are designing with overclocking in mind. I'm still a little nervous about it, thinking in 4 months my CPU is gonna melt and I'm SOL because "overclocking is at your own risk" or whatever.

So, if I should be letting the builders supe this up however they can, then fine. Otherwise I would shy away from this.

I don't want to tinker with this. I can replace components that go bad, but I probably won't upgrade anything after I buy; if it becomes antiquated I'll just buy a new one and trade this down to my work system (graphic design and programming).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Furiant - 05 Oct 2013 at 6:26am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 9:33am
Hi Furiant...  Welcome to the forums.

Here's the build I would suggest.   A variation of yours.

Config # 877589        Cost $ 2427

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm ODE V3
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Radar) (MATX)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Unless you're interested in Thunderbolt, then the Gryphon, although a bit smaller board, is all you need and has a great warranty.

The i5, 4 core cpu is all gaming needs.  6 core isn't used for games.  Can't predict the future though. 

8Gb ram at 1600mHz is all gaming uses.  The higher speed ram you'll never see and can de-stable oc settings.  Not always, but can happen

Changed the psu to the EVGA SuperNova.  A better unit, longer warranty and fully modular, meaning is you ever need to change it, the wiring doesn't have to be touched.

The drives.  I went with a single larger SSD and a HDD for much cheaper mass storage.  The 120GB SSD works also for OS and several programs you use the most.

Changed the Hyper 212 to the Noctua.  It is the best, quiet and very reliable.  You are right, that the small sealed liquid coolers have gotten a lot better, very good rep, but the air coolers leave little to go wrong.  The Hyper will work good also.

I would leave in the oc.  It is stable and done right, like DS does it, will not harm the chip at all.  Sometimes the oc does act up but a quick call to DS to tweek it ia all it needs.  Doesn't happen all that much.

As far as dust... I don't know of any pc filters or pc case that filters dust without a big hit on airflow.  The best bet is to keep the rig 2-3 feet off the floor, away from where the dust likes to swirl around and you're good to go. 

I agree with the gtx 780 over the Titan..  lots more money for about a 10% boost.

I threw in the free t-shirt Drooling and put a blue light strip inside for looks.  Big%20Smile

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Oct 2013 at 9:35am
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 9:39am
I'd second the build bprat22 posted/recommended above... It's the same build I would've recommended (was busy replying to another build post! )
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 9:42am
LOL  We're tag-teaming the OPs.  HahahaBig%20Smile
Furiant View Drop Down

Quote Furiant Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 11:07am
Thanks for the input, guys. My choice of (2) 120 SSDs was based on wanting the OS and non-game applications to have a drive of their own, then my games would have a separate drive. My experience with platters is that it's more efficient to have System and game storage separate. Maybe that's no longer the case. Does save a chunk of change though.

Good catch on the power supply, thanks. Also confirmed my suspicions about the CPU and RAM.

I expected someone to choose a different case, but it looks like this will suit.

I'll probably purchase this soon.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 1:46pm
I figured you liked the ODE 600t case so left it alone. For your build the 600t will work great so didn't see an issue.    If you want the best air cooled case and quiet, check out the HafX case.   

Keep us updated.    

Post Reply Post Reply