FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2560x1400 Monitor

Post Date: 2012-12-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ggface014 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ggface014 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2560x1400 Monitor
    Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 2:55am
Hey everyone, Im currently looking for a good 2560x1440 monitor for gaming. Ive been doing some research and i keep hearing about these korean monitors. $400 for a monitor seems like a great deal but im a bit iffy on the matter. Can you guys recommend me some good monitors and what do you think of the korean ones?
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 7:49am
As in other post, the Yamakasi catleap are a gamble at best and I believe your money would be best spent elsewhere. What is your budget on a monitor ?
ggface014 View Drop Down

Quote ggface014 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 8:44am
i just wanna keep it under 1k
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 9:41am
I have personal experience with the Yamakasi catleap Q270, if that is something you are considering.

Its a definite no if you plan to do any high-level photoshop work, or anything professional color level. The stand is also horrible.

That being said, as a gaming monitor, and with proper modifications to the stand (dependent on your particular unit, they all seem to slope different directions), it could be a good monitor for the price alone.

Normally I'd never recommend one, but if your looking to keep the price as low as possible its worth considering, just understand the limitations of what you are purchasing.
ggface014 View Drop Down

Quote ggface014 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:27am
What are your thoughts on the asus pb278q?
ggface014 View Drop Down

Quote ggface014 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 12:38pm
ok so i've narrowed down my options to the asus pb278q and dell u2713hm. Which is better?
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 1:22pm

Here is a side by side comparison between the 2 from Newegg:

The ASUS uses a PLS panel and the Dell uses an IPS panel.  The PLS panel is somewhat new that was developed by Samsung and is supposed to be related to IPS but less expensive to make. 

The Dell does have better brightness while the ASUS has a stated better response time.  I don't put much in response times as different manufacters use different ways to measure it.

I do know that the Dell UltraSharps are very good monitors as I have one myself.  Many others on these forums also use one of the Dell UltraSharps.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

ggface014 View Drop Down

Quote ggface014 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 4:21pm
hmmm... this a tough choice to make. If you guys had the choice which would it be?
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 6:48pm
The ASUS has built in speakers and comes with every cable you will ever need.

The Response Time you can not judge nor the contrast ratio. Both are probably exaggerating the numbers.

Different technologies.

I have not seen PLS in person, so that is something I would like to see first.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 8:26pm
I would choose the Dell.

Edited by Tidgxor - 01 Dec 2012 at 8:26pm
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 11:03pm
The Dell U2713 is a great choice for 2560 x 1440.
I expect to buy one on newegg for Xmas for my son to game on as an upgrade from a 24" TN panel. Reviewers seem to be giving the U2713 high marks. Very similar led backlit IPS display to the new Dell U2412M, and I have 3 of those I'm enjoying. See 3 reviews below.

CNET review rates it best overall monitor for 2012...
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-u2713hm/4505-3174_7-35472876.html

TFT Central review
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

PRAD review
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-dell-u2713hm.html
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:04pm

If there is a store near you where you could see both side by side that would be ideal.  If that isn't posible then I would go with the Dell.  The Dell UltraSharps are well known and get really good reviews. 

I will be upgrading my current Dell UltraSharp (U2411) to the new Dell UltraSharp 27" in a few months.

Not from Without,

D1 View Drop Down

Quote D1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 6:59pm
1k is a lot for that. No need to take risks with unknown makes. I bought a dell 2711 amazon last week for $670 without any sales tax cost. shipping incl. AMAZING resolution!
D1 View Drop Down

Quote D1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 7:00pm
D1 View Drop Down

Quote D1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 7:01pm
I typoed.... $760,not 670. Still a great buy on amazon and had it delivered 2 days after buying it.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 5:11pm
Congrats on your new monitor. Cool You are going to love it. Big%20Smile
Not from Without,

MaxHeadroom View Drop Down

Quote MaxHeadroom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:30am
The new system I'm getting after the tax refund is direct-deposited into my account will include a new ASUS PB278Q monitor. I couldn't care less about the speakers, but having all of the cables included was a definite plus. I compared the ASUS and Dell at the local Micro Center, and from what I saw the Dell didn't seem worth the extra money. They were both way better than the Acer 23" LCD I have now, so...

I would have gone with a Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D monitor (as they make the PLS panels), but the $150 markup turned me off. It does include a USB 3.0 hub, but I don't need any more USB ports.

I normally wouldn't be able to afford one of these 1440p monitors at all. But I'm selling my current system to a co-worker, and I can get Win7 and Win8 free through the DreamSpark program because I'm in college, so I have the extra budget to work with.

Edited by MaxHeadroom - 30 Jan 2013 at 1:45am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 3:35am
IPS is a better panel, dell has a better brightness, and I'm not sure what kind of a color depth that ASUS PB278Q has, so just keep all of that in mind.

I vote dell also.

but go with what makes you happy.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 4:50am
Welcome back to the forums DST4ME Big%20Smile
Not from Without,

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:47am
Thank you boss, but its for a short time, I had a little bit of free time but its gonna get crazy again, its great to be back and see you guys even if its for a short time

I miss being here and all the great members that are here

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Feb 2013 at 10:48am

Quote MaxHeadroom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

IPS is a better panel, dell has a better brightness, and I'm not sure what kind of a color depth that ASUS PB278Q has, so just keep all of that in mind.

For future reference, PLS panels have 8-bit color depth and display 16.7 million colors. This is the same as Dell IPS monitors.

Review of ASUS PB278Q here.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:24pm
That is not correct Max.

the u2410, u2413, U2713H, u2711, u3011, u3014 and some other models have 1.07 billion colors and better brightness then the asus, I know my u2413 is much better then the asus in brightness/color.

Now whether its 8-bit +FRC or true 10-bit I have not researched it yet but the color support is 1.7 billion

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Feb 2013 at 5:24pm

Quote MaxHeadroom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:39pm
From U2713H review: "Like the U2711 which it is replacing, the new U2713H offers support for 10-bit content through the use of its 8-bit + FRC panel. This gives a colour depth support for 1.07 billion colours. However, you need to take into account whether this is practically useable and whether you're ever going to truly use that colour depth. You need to have a full 10-bit end to end workflow to take advantage of it which is still quite expensive to achieve and rare in the market, certainly for your average user. This includes relevant applications and graphics cards as well, so to many people this 10-bit support might be irrelevant."

From features explanation: "The other method is Frame-Rate-Control (FRC) ... In basic terms, it involves flashing between two colour tones rapidly to give the impression of a third tone, not normally available in the palette. ... FRC is also used to enhance the colour depth of 8-bit panels, boosting them from their standard 16.7 million colours to 1.07 billion in the case of "10-bit" panels (8-bit + FRC)."

What applications and graphics cards support the faux 10-bit functionality? Does anybody know?

And as far as brightness goes, I don't run my monitors anywhere near max values. My Acer was set somewhere below 50% (don't remember the exact value), and my new ASUS is set at 27% currently. I suppose it's down to user preference and room lighting and such, but a properly calibrated monitor likely doesn't run near max brightness level. Even my old CRT monitors from years ago didn't.

Edited by MaxHeadroom - 20 Feb 2013 at 6:46pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 12:18pm
That tft quote you put up there max is not all the facts IMHO, something on there are assumptions.

most users here have a highend gpu to take advantage of the higher color, the apps could be doing it already for all we know, but if we gonna use the argument that we dont' know, then it goes both ways, we don't if its being used or not then.

at the end the the dell monitors are capable to produce 1.7 billion colors and asus can't, whether I have use for it or not is dependent on each user, of course the colors will make the image look better so IMHO everybody has use for that if its available and possible for them to use.

as for what brightness you/me use or not use, its irrelevant, that for your use or mine, we are not talking about what you have use for or I have use for, we are talking about what the monitors can do, just because you or I have not use for this and that, does not make the monitors equal.

I also believe the gb-led of the dell is a little better then the w-led from what I understand.

So in short the mentioned Dell monitors have higher color and better brightness and higher processor then the asus, now that may not mean much to you but to others and myself it does.

this 8 bit vs 8 + frc is easily crushed, put a dell u2410 next to a u2411m and you can see the difference clearly.

Don't get me wrong, I already knew, see and understand your argument, but that argument is more toward your use then the capability of each monitor, which in this case the mentioned dell monitors can do much better, and to say that the asus is the same as the mentioned dell would be a flat out false statement.

I like to add while some info on TFT Central is good I find bad info there all the time and I would not base anything on the review of tft alone, back in the day If I lisened to tft, I would not have my wonderful pio elite.

I leave you with quotes from tft on both monitors.

Originally posted by tft

The Asus PB278Q shows a moderate level of input lag. This was measured at 16.6ms average. Note that this is the overall display lag, and so accounts for the signal processing time + an element of the pixel response time. We performed these tests at various 'Trace Free' (overdrive) settings, and settled on the tests in the fastest 100 setting as it returned the lowest average lag and should get us closest to the signal processing lag on its own. The input lag of this screen has been categorised as CLASS 2 as detailed above as it is basically 1 frame. It should be ok for a lot of gaming but perhaps not for some high end gaming or FPS.

Originally posted by tft

When switching to the 'game' preset mode on Dell u2413 We measured an overall display lag now of only 9ms, and so the signal processing was estimated at a much lower 3.6ms. This game mode provides an overall lag which can be graded as CLASS 1 as described above and should be fine for most gamers.

Originally posted by anadtech

Overall the center of the PB278Q scores very well for uniformity, but once we get to the outside edge there are issues with bright corners and light fall-off on the edges that leads to worse overall results. I don’t think that any of the issues are deal breaking, but they seem to indicate an issue with the backlighting system in the PB278Q.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 3:59pm
I recently bought the Asus PB278Q and left this review for the Amazon groupies. I know I'm a little late to this discussion but thought for any DS surfers it would come in useful. Of course I have not as of yet reached the technical prowess of the great DST4ME. Cool Anyway, here you go DS faithful.

First, I will say that I'm an Asus fan. Typically their products are top notch and will fulfill your needs nicely. This monitor is their first attempt to compete with Dell's Ultrasharp IPS line while providing a better price for consumers. I was torn between the Dell 2713U and this monitor. After looking at prices and reviews I decided to save money and give this monitor a shot. The first one received had one stuck pixel and one dead pixel with excessive back light bleed from the upper right corner. But, thanks to Amazon's awesome return policy and the fact that Asus has a zero dead pixel policy, I quickly received another one about three days later. The second one was good to go with no pixel issues and the backlight bleed was better than the first. The construction is solid and the button controls easy to use with a switch on the fly function between modes (i.e. Theater, Scenic mode...etc.) The stand is pretty functional with adequate adjustability. I was thinking this would be a huge monitor on my desk but it turned out that I probably could have gone with a 30 inch : ( Oh well, I still am enjoying it and it was an improvement over my 24 inch TN panel. Although the color, clarity and resolution are not quite up to par with Dell's IPS panels, it does have a slightly faster response time and for $300 savings more than adequate color, clarity and resolution for me. Just think of the games I can buy with that $300 savings! : ) It also comes with the digital video input (DVI) cables which is nice. All in all, I would say if you have the money to burn go with the Dell. But, if your looking to save some doe and still have a solid upgrade just a step down from the Dell, look no further and pick up the PB278Q. Keep improving Asus and you will grab the trophy!
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
16GB Corsair Platinum 3000mhz
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
2 Asus Strix 1080 8GB SLI
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
Solidus1833 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Solidus1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 7:16pm
running a U2711 dell ultra sharp 2560x1440 and worth every penny of the 700$ price tag.
Mouseguard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mouseguard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 2:25pm
running a U3011 dell ultra sharp 2560 x 1600, and I am happy, even thought they were out of stock of the U2711 (which was what I was planning on purchasing at the time). Love the Dell monitors!
Baby Bear
Corsair Air 540
i7-6700k @ 4.5 gHz
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
16 gb 2666 MHz ram
Corsair HX1000i
800 GB Intel 750 series NVM-e
(2) GTX 980ti Asus Strix Edition graphics
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
 Post Reply Post Reply