FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2600K & 3960X Mobo Suggestions

Post Date: 2012-01-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2600K & 3960X Mobo Suggestions
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 1:20pm

Hey guys,  Would like some detailed suggestions on at least 2 mobo's for a 2600k build as well as 2 for a 3960x build..  I read somewhere about the 3930k having a corrupt bios..  Not sure if that is true.. or has been fixed.  But to read about that on more than 1 website.. is reason enough for me to go with the 3960x instead.

NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 2:24pm
Here is a recent review I read about the 3930k..

Pros: Performance is through the roof, powerful Multithreading, plenty of overclocking headroom, good temperatures and a great on board memory controller.

Cons: VT-d was removed from the ARK right before release. In the common market this is called bait and switch. I feel that Intel should have been more receptive to their customers (ME). I am removing an egg for the bait and switch.

Other Thoughts: I have this CPU overclocked to 4.8G on an ASUS RIVE. I couldn’t be happier with the overall performance and temperatures. I am getting 68 to 71C at 4.8G on water while running LinX. I am also running 8 DIMMs of DDR2133 and the memory controller has not missed a beat. All in all a great performer.

P.S.
Intel will claim to have fixed the VT-d issues via a BIOS updated pushed out to the MOBO manufacturers. This is a half-truth as it implements VT-d at the software level and not the hardware level.

A C2 3930k will be released with the actual fix. This is the chip I should have.
kane860 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 2:51pm
I could have sworn we have already discussed this in another thread of yours, no?  Also I am on the 3930k and I havent had any BIOS issues.  The only issue with the motherboard that I have had is the optical drives showing up as "audio cd" when connected to the sata 3 ports even when the drives have no discs in them.  Simple solutions for me was to connect them to sata 6 ports and Im good.
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:52pm
Actually kane.. we havent had this discussion.  That issue you mentioned adds to what I have read.. Thanks Smile  I havent heard about any issues like this on the 3960x..  Only negative besides price that Ive heard of was that it can get pretty hot without proper cooling.  I dont think that I am going to OC.. but still want to play it safe with probably a stage 5 LC option ;)
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:02pm
I really hope that someone here can help answer my question about the mobo's..  In detail.. because I have asked this question before..  Until these things get answered a little better.. Im unsure..  Because getting different answers is why I still ask about this Confused 
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:47pm
We have def covered this topic in another thread last week, not sure who the person was though that we were all discussing this with since I thought it was you but I guess I have it mixed up...

the 3960x would be using the same motherboards as the 3930k so even if I went with the 3960x I would be using the same motherboard as I am now and would still be having the same issue.  Its up to you if you want to spend the extra $500 or so on the 3960x but its a pure waste of money with almost no added benefit.  Thats just my personal opinion but its your money though.. Ninja

Also, you would be doing a big dis-service to yourself by not overclocking the CPU.  The CPU's are called "unlocked" for a reason as they are meant to be overclocked.  You just need to make sure it is done safely and that is by keeping the CPU properly cooled ( the Noctua D14 cooler works great) and keeping the CPU voltage under 1.4v.  In this case, the CPU is perfectly safe being overclocked.  Personally I went with the stage 1 overclock instead of the stage 2 that most people go with because I didnt want to push the CPU to hard. 

Also you mentioned that you would like to do liquid cooling just to be safe, but you dont think you want to overclock.  This is kind of backwards...  if you dont plan on overclocking the CPU, there is no risk to the CPU with excessive heat buildup so I have no clue why you would even consider stage 5 liquid cooling.  If you want to go with stage 5 LC, I say overclock that CPU to stage 2. 
System:
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:40am
Thanks for the feedback kane.. I've already made my decision if I choose an X79 platform on which CPU I'm going with :) Don't think I'm going with a Deluxe mobo.. I'm looking at either the Rampage or Sabertooth. As far as overclocking.. I'm not sure if voiding my warranty with Intel is worth it when paying this much on a CPU.. I'm open to suggestions on why I should though. Thanks
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:16pm
Please tell us your reasons for going with the 3960x over the 3930 as well as the Rampage or Sabertooth over the deluxe.. I am sure everyone would like to hear them so they could provide their feedback..

Also I think you are the first person I have come across who seems to feel that overclocking is a bad idea.. nothing against you, just wanted to point out that observation of mine.  Once again, the CPU's are "unlocked" for the sole purpose of being overclocked.  It is perfectly safe to overclock the CPU as long as it is done safely. 

At this point I will just let everyone else reply, I am not sure why no one else has jumped in the thread yet to offer feedback.  I think you may have gotten more hits on this thread if you posted it in the hardware section but lets wait and see I guess...

@DST4ME:  you around? 
System:
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 8:30pm
  I don't know the reason..  But it seems I get more criticism from a few guys here than help.  And that is no observation..  It's fact.  I ask questions..  because I don't know everything!  And about the i7-3960X..  How is Digital Storm supposed to sell this product..  with most of you guys comments to people that might be interested in it?  And about the motherboards..  I have not got this question answered in detail..  And again..  I asked these things because I am open to suggestion..  Just want things answered a little better so I can be sure I'm getting what I want.  Thanks kane
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 8:47pm
hmmm... so you have your mind set on the 3960x but you have no reason for wanting that over the 3930k?  I dont see how you would want to spend an additional $500 without having any reasoning.  I have not seen anyone recommend the 3960x over the 3930k on this forum because it is simply not worth the additional cost. 

And like I said, I am not sure why no one else has replied to this and offered some more technical feedback regarding the mother boards as they usually do... DST4ME usually jumps in on every thread as well as several other people. 

Also, you are taking everything that I have said as criticism when all I have been trying to do was understand your reasons for wanting the 3960x chip over the 3930k chip and also why you would completely disregard the most popular motherboard (the asus deluxe) and mention that you would probably just go with the saber or rampage extreme.  I understand that you are open to feedback but you seem to be taking feedback as criticism, perhaps that may be why no one else has replied, I have no clue.. just a thought.  I am just trying to understand your reasons for the hardware that you seem to be leaning towards, thats all. 

@Alex: would it be a good idea to move this thread to the hardware section?
System:
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 8:50pm
Thread moved to hardware discussion. Big%20Smile
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:02pm
  I am not sure about which cpu to choose.. The 3930K worries me because of some things I've read elsewhere..  I'm sure the Deluxe mobo is popular here..  I would just like some detail about them all so I can make the choice on which to go with.  Thank you guys
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:12pm
My Forum Permissions just changed..  Really hard to keep things positive as I've no idea on what I'm doing that's wrong  Scared  I am grateful for your feedback..  Just get confused myself that's all
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by NOSVIPER

I am not sure about which cpu to choose.. The 3930K worries me because of some things I've read elsewhere..  I'm sure the Deluxe mobo is popular here..  I would just like some detail about them all so I can make the choice on which to go with.  Thank you guys

Well could you kindly let us know what you have heard?  I have had the 3930k chip for almost a month now and I would really like to become familiar with any issues with the chip if you have heard of some like you have suggested. 
System:
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:46pm
Hey kane..  You can google it..  or read some reviews posted on the web..  That's what I did.  Hey Alex..  You think you could help me with some feedback on the 2600K & 3930K motherboards?  Thanks Big%20Smile 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:57pm
Both are great, it all depends on what you want to do. You'll need to be more specific bud. I know the guys did provide you with a ton of help and suggestions before.
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm
@kane.. Things like this are easy to find.. If you google it :)

Originally Posted by technot 
OK. So i've had contact with Intel.
Intel denies all fault and links me http://ark.intel.com/products/63697/Intel-Core-i7-%203930K-Processor-(12M-Cache-3_20-GHz) They removed the VT-d support from the ARK sheet. And claim it never had VT-d support in there....
I'm pretty angry right now. Intel denies all fault and there will be no RMA of the chips for this.
How will I, a lonly consumer, have anything to say against a big company like Intel when they deny that that specsheet even did show vt-d as enabled ?
I've spoken with my cpu retailer as well, and all they did was link me the specsheet that shows the cpu does not have vt-d, and claim like intel, that it never did..
How many people need to have seen that website before they fixed it to expose this dirty cover up ?
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:10pm
Well if that's true..  Then I humbly ask that you forgive me for being retarded Im%20with%20Stupid Thanks
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:20pm
@Alex,  Do you think you guys could order a XFX Radeon HD R7970 Black Edition for my build?  Also.. could you tell me which cooling option would be a safe minimum for a Stage 2 OC 3960X?  Appreciate you
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:33pm
If it doesn't have that feature, and Intel says it wont, then you'll need to pick a different CPU if that's important to you. We can always special order any hardware. For a Stage 2 OC, you need at least something like the Corsair H100 or our at least our Stage 3 liquid cooling package.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:52am
Hi NOSVIPER,

If you want to know about motherboards you should visit the manufacturer's site. Asus motherboards are used here at DS and you can find the specs for each board at this site.[URL=http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/]

You can't go wrong with the Deluxe board for the 2600K or the 3960X. If you want to spend more money for a few more sofware features but no more performance, you can go with the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme.

Asking us to comment on four different motherboards for you is too much. If you have a question about a specific mother board then maybe we can help you. Most systems I see built on this forum use the Deluxe motherboard and I have never seen anyone complained about them until Kane and one other person had a problem with the optical drive recognition. I think both of them used the X79 platform.

Frank
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Alex

Both are great, it all depends on what you want to do. You'll need to be more specific bud. I know the guys did provide you with a ton of help and suggestions before.

my thoughts exactly Awesome
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:56am
Originally posted by NOSVIPER

Hey kane..  You can google it..  or read some reviews posted on the web..  That's what I did.  Hey Alex..  You think you could help me with some feedback on the 2600K & 3930K motherboards?  Thanks Big%20Smile 

me googling it does not help me understand what issues of the 3930k CPU concern YOU... anyways, I give up  Oops
System:
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:20am
That makes two of us kane OopsRegardless.. I thank you guys for the feedback. And thank you as well Alex.. That info does help me out Big%20Smile
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:46am
NOSVIPER:  check out this thread that I started like two months ago called

ASUS Deluxe MOBO vs. ASUS Rampage Extreme

I think that might help you out a lot as this is where we debated the mother boards in more detail
System:
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 11:24am
Sorry I didn't reply sooner.. Out paying bills :) Appreciate that kane
Edited at 5:52pm cst.  Nice thread guys.. I just read it Big%20Smile

Edited by NOSVIPER - 02 Feb 2012 at 3:52pm
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 2:54am
Quick question.. Could you guys tell me which Stage OC I should go with on a 3930K CPU? I did hear from DS about a problem getting it past 4.5.. But would like some opinions anyways. Thank you

Edited by NOSVIPER - 03 Feb 2012 at 11:21pm
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 9:05am
Im sorry, my eyes must be deceiving me... did you say 3930k?????  Finally giving up the overpriced 3960x?  Awesome 

Anyways, to answer your question, this one is kind of debatable...  I think we all know that the 3930k chip is perfectly capable of achieving overclocks of over 4.5ghz.. the question is, how stable is it and how long will the cpu last, and is there enough cooling?  With the Noctua D14 air cooler, I think digital storm will be calling you to let you know that they will not feel comfortable with the temps fromt he stage 2 overclock with the noctua cooler and would probably recommend going with one of the Corsair single loop coolers which I would avoid.  But stage 1 overclock will give you no troubles... so personally I would say just go with the stage 1 overclock.. thats what I did and my system is overclocked to 4.3ghz which for me, is perfectly fine and it was done safely. 

You need to make sure you just write in the notes section something like "please overclock as close to 4.4ghz as possible without exceeding 1.4volts" and you wil lbe just fine. 

What does everyone else think?
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:49am
so whatcha gonna go with?
System:
NOSVIPER View Drop Down

Quote NOSVIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 5:32pm
Can you be more specific kane? Kind of ill right now Sad
 Post Reply Post Reply