2nd (and 3rd?) Purchase

Post Date: 2019-06-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2nd (and 3rd?) Purchase
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 8:47pm
Hey all,

Done some playing around, and hemming and hawing. May bite the bullet and get a laptop as well as a desktop. Will probably pick up a cooling pad just to ease my nerves on the laptop, and it would be nice to have a functioning one again.

The bolt would serve as a replacement to my current gaming rig (in my signature). Due to hardware issues, I cannot run run the cards in SLI, so I believe it is essentially an upgrade from a single 980. Please feel free to correct me. I game at 1440p, but I'm assuming the 2080 will be sufficient and that the extra $500 for the 2080 Ti would be a bit excessive. Also shying away from a liquid setup, as that (and maintenance of) has been the source of some of my woes from the Hailstorm. While a beauty, it doesn't seem as practical for me to keep things in top shape. Please advise if the "Extreme Cooling High Performance Cooler with Five Heatpipes" is insufficient.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm BOLT X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Platinum) (Supports up to GTX TITAN Xp) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Five Heatpipes
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: High Static Pressure - Corsair Air Series SP Fans (LED White) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced RGB Internal + Front Panel LED Lighting <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong>
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Laptop:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Avon 17.3 Inch Laptop (Model: DSAV1720709750H)
Display: 17.3 Inch Full HD (IPS Display) (144Hz Refresh) (1920x1080) (Matte)
Screen Calibration: - No Thanks
Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H (6-Core) (Up to 4.5GHz)
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Storage Drive 1: M.2 SSD - 500GB Digital Storm Performance Series (NVM Express)
Storage Drive 2: M.2 SSD - 512GB Samsung 970 PRO (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Wireless Card: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (Gigabit Wi-Fi) + Bluetooth 5.0
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (VR Ready)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks
Extra Charger: - No Thanks
Extra Battery: - Not Available
Carry Bag: - No Thanks
Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 3-5 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 2:30am
Bolt X
Solid choice of CPU and GPU ...and yes the RTX 2080 will handle the 1440p job well at high settings.   I think the 2080 Ti performance is not worth the extra price.   Remember it’s a mini ITX mobo, so while 16 gb RAM is all you need to game... upgrading RAM on a 2 slot ITX board means replacing those 2 sticks with 2 bigger sticks...and RAM is kinda cheap right now so be sure it’s all you will want for any other uses ahead.    Solid choice to populate both fast M.2 NVME SSD drive slots!   

You have experience with liquid cooling hot components in the big roomy great airflow Hailstorm II Corsair case (as I do still operate a Hailstorm II as well).     Surprised that you are thinking just air.    Would be years before any maintenance should be needed other than fluid top offs..or at least use an AIO sealed no maintenance CPU cooler.    I think it’s just nuts & risky to even consider running an overclocked top 8 core K class CPU and top RTX GPU packed inside a small form factor ITX case like Bolt X on just air.     Liquid cooling makes that small case even acceptable to use with those hot components....with only a couple fans.    If you do this build, I predict a short lifespan for components in this warm enclosed rig...lol.    Your GPU will wear out early having to vent your hot case 24/7 while trying to also cool itself!    If you want Bolt X then I would encourage you to use a liquid cooler on both CPU & GPU and that should be a great rig with acceptable heat mitigation..    If you really want just air cooling, then I would say use a Lumos or Velox case build with a normal ATX mobo with more space and excellent fan powered airflow that would work much better for you on air alone.

Haven’t seen enough Avon reviews to state an opinion, but with good gaming laptops you are expecting heat and shorter lifespan...lol.    Should game well with the 2070

Edited by HockeyBuck - 08 Jun 2019 at 2:36am
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:33am
Thanks for the input Hockey - the only reason I went with the OC on both CPU and GPU were because they were a free upgrade. I would just as soon not go that route to improve longevity of the components. I considered the sealed cooling system (H100i) which is not that much more expensive, but even that is only the CPU.

Again, I think in part I'm just sour after the experience I had on my first rig. Clearly I'm not faulting DS entirely (as I'm buying from them again) because I could have advocated more for myself, but I'm extremely hesitant to make another high dollar purchase where more things can go wrong and I'm not skilled enough to fix/replace/troubleshoot on my own. Shipping back to DS from new england isn't cheap.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:04am
I understand your reluctance and issues. I can recommend the all-in-one water coolers for being highly reliable and totally maintenance free. With one of those, you can relax about overclocking the CPU, but they're so darn fast at stock, don't need it if it makes you nervous. The Corsairs are warranted for five full years. It's pretty harmless if one fails because the CPU overheats and just shuts down.

The 2070 is the price/performance champ for 1440p, so the 2080 will be headroom well past the next gen of cards. Good pick if you can afford it. The 2080 Ti is way overkill.

The gains from overclocking these video cards is very marginal. Not worth the stress even if water cooled, IMO, but that's the only way. Though perhaps not ideal, the Bolt should be fine if you have an AOI and don't oc the GPU. It's been said the Lumos is an impressive light show.

Hope it helps.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:54am
Thanks for the info Cretae! I hadn't considered whether the Bolt was a big enough case to not run everything under water to be fair, but good to hear the feedback on the all-in-one cooler.

For further clarification: I'm pretty sold on the Bolt case. I think the small form factor is a better fit for me right now, and I'm going to keep the Hailstorm II going and that will be my case to play around with and possibly gut/build my own rig inside of it down the road.

I'm good with no OC on the GPU. Can you clarify what you mean by the case should be fine if I have an AOI? Or were you just abbreviating the all-in-one discussed for the CPU?
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:12am
Hi Eggy,
Always have loved your avatar.
AIO is "all in one".  Have you considered only upgrading your video cards? The 980s (same I had and also in the cooling loop) have had a good run. I have a 5960X (same vintage as yours) and I just added some new RTXs and back into maxing everything for a while.
Otherwise the Bolt is really a great case but not for all under air. At least get the cpu with an AIO.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:46am
Hey Hoserator,
Thanks.
I did consider upgrading the video cards. My problem being, I would make the transition to a single card (SLI isn't for me, more trouble than it's worth), and I don't know how feasible that is, considering the current LC set-up going to all three GPU's. That seems like it would be a pretty involved update.

Additionally, I had problems with what I assume is the motherboard since the week I got the computer, where the only thing that seems to fix it is for me to pop off the side of the case, pull the battery(? silver coin-shaped piece) out of it and pop it back in. Otherwise it will not turn on.

After some dealings with customer service trying to trouble-shoot a problem a while back, they had me reformat the main drive, but that seemed to nuke the thermal/LED software/display control that I paid extra for.

In short, it seems like it would not be a simple GPU upgrade, which is unfortunate considering I expected it to last me longer than it did. But, I've resigned myself to likely just buying a new computer, and then keeping this one to tinker with down the road.

So do we think it's reasonable to do the Bolt with the CPU under a closed loop, and air for the graphics? Or am I truly better off just dropping the extra $300 for the full LC, and learning how to work with any problems?
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:48am
Eggy....I do think you would be way better off with the full LC on CPU and GPU in this particular build.    Recommend flexible tubing as best choice for shipping to NE.    This HydroLux cooler (Swiftech) is a much smaller reservoir/pump unit and loop than what you are used to, and it resembles an AIO but there is a fill port on the side.    Coolant top off is easy...put case on it’s side so fill port is on top, use a squeeze bottle to refill reservoir when needed.    Ask DS for quick disconnect fittings, a drain port, and a spare bottle of coolant...that will make things easy when it’s time for a card change or for maintenance.    Properly cooled, the Bolt X will be a great rig for you. Should only require a yearly fluid top off for many years ahead.

FYI...I just recently upgraded my 2011 DS Hailstorm II (I7-3930K / X99 mobo/ HydroLux Pro cpu only) ) from SLI x2 GTX 680 Classified to a single air cooled EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ....a very efficient 3 fan massive heat sink 3 slot sized card that keeps the GPU temps chilly in 30-40’s C range in the big Corsair 800D case.   The RTX 2080 will play anything at Ultra settings so my Hailstorm can still fly...you’ll really enjoy the RTX 2080.    In your Hailstorm upgrade, coming from 3x SLI 980 on water.....maybe you can actually justify going the extra $400 with one 2080 Ti as a nice simple new GPU solution.    Look at the EVGA RTX 2080 Copper or 2080 Ti Copper as great choices to keep using your HydroLux Pro cooler loop.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 08 Jun 2019 at 11:09am
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 2:42pm
That's comforting to hear about the upgrades to the Hydrolux; I think if DS made things slightly more idiot-proof for me (a la the things you mentioned such as quick disconnects and a drain port) it might be a more attractive option. I'm sure there are videos I could watch as far as water blocks go if I ever wanted to change out the card.

Glad to hear your beast is still crushing it! That will be a down-the-road project for me, especially if I can figure out a way to switch from 3 cards to one without butchering the cooling system. While I enjoy being a homeowner now, it doesn't leave as much room in the budget as I used to have for toys Oops
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:48pm
Yeah even worse for us homeowners here in tax everything twice California!   Low toy budgets is why we gotta think these tech toys carefully through to make very sure you get what you need, set up right!   This Bolt X will be a smart build.

BTW...for lower cost reasons, DS will normally use a stock 1 or 2 fan air cooled RTX 2080 video card from several brands they use in house, remove the fans & heat sink, and place their own DS custom water block on the card.   However, if you have a certain favorite brand factory made water cooled card you would prefer they install in the Bolt...just ask DS how much..as they can get just about anything you want if you are willing to pay the extra cost and wait.   Several on the forum here have used the excellent EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA HYDRO COPPER GAMING or the Ti version of it.   Probably the best quality factory LC card out there.   Be cool to hear what you finally order, and how it all goes for you.

When you eventually start on your Hailstorm upgrade, post pics and you should get some decent advice here on how to make changes happen.   There are people here that have recently downsized their 3 or 4 LC video cards to 2 or 1 new RTX card that might pipe up with some good suggestions.   If you are not already aware, environmental requirements have made many older coolant mixes obsolete /no longer available...and you won't be able to mix older coolants with the new formulas. Old brands are still the same, just different coolant formulas.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:41am
There is no butchering of the cooling system when you change lc gpus. I am surprised you have no quick disconnects on the gpus and cpu (and without them, you have to drain enough coolant to lower the level below the gpus). That complicates matters a lot. With QDs you just unplug those, remove the cards together (with cooling block attached) and insert one or two of the new ones. With only one you just have to remove the fittings from the cooling block you removed and attach to the card and reattach the QDs. With two, you have to connect both cards (I did with fittings and a short piece of tubing instead of a cooling block).

As HockeyBuck states, coolants have changed (you never have had to refill?) and you can't mix them. Might be time to do a full flushing of your system if you decide to change the cards. If you do, order extra bottles for refills and such.
Keep us posted.

I had never done this before and my pc is still working! BTW, I did use the EVGA Hydro Copper since it comes ready for water cooling.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:38am
Sounds like I would need to do a full flush of the system regardless at this point, if the coolants can't be mixed. It's still functioning but definitely needs a top off.

So, to the more pertinent issue - I'm sold on a 2080 (not interested in the 2080 ti). If I am to opt for a liquid cooling setup, what are the better "brands" (versions?) of this card I should be requesting prices on? And, what makes them "ready" for LC? Does this mean that they cannot be used without water cooling? I'm not too familiar with all of the different types of various cards, other than that they exist lol.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:00am
EVGA is the quality Brand name both I and Hoserator have mentioned.   

The best quality LC card to get is the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA HYDRO COPPER GAMING that Hoserator used.    It comes with a EVGA factory water block attached so the card is all ready to simply hook up to a LC system.    Cards like this one are made specifically for LC system use only.   

Most of the other video card companies, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, make one that is at the top of their lines.    You’ll have to research them and decide what seems best for you.   Or you can just let DS decide the card to use with their DS waterblock.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:04am
Thanks for the explanation Hockey! EVGA is the brand I'm familiar with, glad to hear it's coming highly recommended by the community as well. I'll report back when I get things sorted out!
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:08pm
Sadly I had to retire my hailstorm recently and ended up building my own but I am familliar with the EVGA 2080ti FTW 3 Ultra(this is the card I now have) I went with the Ti due to the fact that I game at 3440x1440 and newer games still tax this card (well I like to get 110 fps at Ultra lol) So depending on which "1440" you game at take that into consideration. Also I can attest to the quality of the hydro copper water blocks for the EVGA cards. I installed my own because I got a great deal on just the card, but the block is very nice! I have heard of quality issues with some of the MSI Seahawk cards not from the block itself (its made by EKWB) but from when it is installed by MSI.

I can also attest to the ease of soft tubing to work with, especially with the DS Hydro lux Pro setup with quick disconnects.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:18pm
There are also the EVGA Hybrids that come with their own AIOs. I think that MSI has an lc ready RTX. I have the Ti version.

BTW, what sli trouble were you having? I had 4 980s running with no issues ad now 2 2080Tis also with no issues. Both on W7U (haven't upgraded yet). Are you on W10?
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
I game at 2560x1440, so not too worried about the ultra-wide resolutions. If anything I would have a smaller secondary monitor for non-gaming items, and that runs at 1080p.

re: SLI trouble, a slew of issues, ranging from games not running properly unless it is disabled, to my sound (HDMI) & monitor not functioning unless it is disabled, to the ports on the first card not working altogether. Whether this is a card or a bridge/SLI issue, I'm not too certain. But like I said I've had hardware troubles since the get-go, and as far as my research goes for the level of gaming I do and set-up I have which is not too extreme, running a single powerful card is perfectly adequate. Not to mention cuts down on the potential list of things that can go wrong.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:22am
An unfortunate update - spoke with the sales manager. That particular version of the card is an additional $280 (at that price point might as well get the Ti), nor can it be returned or refunded, nor is it covered by the DS warranty. I'm not comfortable with that, especially considering history & the fact that I'm planning on paying extra for the extended warranty.

John also noted that the Bolt case does not allow for quick disconnects, or a drain port for ease of maintenance, which makes the hydrolux less attractive for me; I haven't seen any videos posted on flushing and maintaining hydrolux, so I'm a little concerned about that piece.

I'm leaning back towards the closed loop Corsair on the CPU and air on the GPU, or changing up the purchase order entirely. When I can play around with the config again and evaluate my budget, I'll post a new one.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:52pm
Limitations of the small form factor causes problems sir....so why not build a Lumos (Corsair Crystal 570X case) exactly the way you want it all with quick disconnects and drain port, and you can set up a much cooler better performing system with a bit more elbow room!    Lumos is obviously more roomy than Bolt, but it’s going to be a much smaller footprint than your old DS rig!   
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:14pm
Hah. Anything will feel tiny compared to the Corsair 900D. That said, the main draw of the bolt is of course, the small form factor. Heck, I'm even drawn to the Aura that popped back up in the shop today, and then make my ROG Swift a secondary monitor (if not for lack of desk space).

But yeah, lots to consider. I don't want to be in the same spot in a couple of years due to purchasing something I'm not comfortable performing maintenance on. So ultimately it's going to come down to deciding between that (in which case it's a Bolt), or a case I'm not thrilled with, but comes with less stress on me due to not having to maintain a LC setup. Frustrated

Or, go hunting for videos and guides and forcing myself to learn how to properly take care of my baby without turning it into a $5k paperweight.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:01pm
To that end, I'm actually wondering if DS can / has produced a video on this? I just found the "How to - Hydrolux Maintenance" video they made, which is very helpful for topping off the reservoir. However, is there a similar one for actually disconnecting the system to clean tubes, flush, refill with new coolant?

Thanks!
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Hutch View Drop Down

Quote Hutch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Eggy

To that end, I'm actually wondering if DS can / has produced a video on this? I just found the "How to - Hydrolux Maintenance" video they made, which is very helpful for topping off the reservoir. However, is there a similar one for actually disconnecting the system to clean tubes, flush, refill with new coolant?
Thanks!

Good question! I'd like to see that too as I want to drain and change the color of my HydroLux Fluid in my Bolt X.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Eggy

Thanks!

Your best bet for that is YouTube. That is how I learned when I redid the tubing(after getting algae in the res) and added a drain port in my Hailstorm II. It really is pretty easy and I found out that I actually enjoyed it which is what led me to building my current PC lol. Also don't know if I mentioned but make sure to request a drain port be added, it makes life a lot easier with maintenance.

Also if you can get an EVGA card since they have good warranties and from what I am told are pretty easy with the RMA/warranty process. Also if you have DS install a water block make sure to request that they still send the stock cooler with the system just incase you have to RMA the card outside of the DS warranty.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:14pm
Snow, if you can link me to any videos you used to clean/maintain your Hailstorm II, I would be hugely appreciative. I haven't had success in finding ones that I was able to follow and I'm badly in need of a flush. Mine does not have a drain port either.

Unfortunately with regard to the new rig, as mentioned above they cannot add a drain port or quick disconnects to the Bolt.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:34pm
Hmm would have to look closer at the bolt setup to see why there can't be a drain port added, I have seen some pretty small builds with drain ports. As far as how I figured out my Hailstorm, I tried watching just about any video out there on YouTube lol. Some people I like to watch are Linus tech tips, Bitwit, Pauls Hardware, and Jayz2cents. As far as what I did with my hailstorm I ended up buying another Koolance quick disconnect(the brand and type DS used in my old rig and hooked into the one on my GPUs then cracked the seal on my reservoir and let it drain out.

I will link the pics I took while re-doing the tubing on my hailstorm awhile back and you can see my new build on my Imgur account also lol . I actually just gave that case to one of my old NCOs today lol. Let me know if you have any other questions. I just took my time and learned that I really liked doing it lol.
PICS

Edited by SnowandSand - 15 Jun 2019 at 8:42pm
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
 Post Reply Post Reply