Post Date: 2011-10-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2nd attempt at a build
    Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 9:41pm
Budget:
$2500 ish

Expectation:
Ability to upgrade and use PCIe 3 when needed. I could stick it out until the end of the year if i needed to but it is killing me to not have a computer.

Usage:
Just gaming and internet usage. Mainly MMO and FPS. I want an immersive experience since I was using a 5 year old comp before it blew up two months ago. I will be buying a new Samsung 19 inch monitor once the comp gets here im thinking 1920x1080 res. I am going to SLI two 580's but only need one right now because I want the next one to be PCIe 3 format.

Special Needs:
None really....like i said i want a comp i can buy upgraded parts for and install as my budget allows. Reading on the Asus website it states the board i have chosen can be updated not sure if its true but im sure DST4ME will set me straight.

Saved Ticket #: 603881

Specifications:
If I have any flaws please dont hesitate to tear this build up. I only have a cell phone to do my research on right now :(
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 9:46pm
You are putting a lot of money toward power you don't need/will use.

first let me ask you something, what is a difference between a sata 3 hdd on a sata 3 port and sata 2 port?

if you are not sure, then just say you are not sure.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Oct 2011 at 9:54pm
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 9:54pm
It goes from 3gbs to 1.5?? Not really sure bit thats my best guess.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 10:08pm
Also i am trying to future proof the system as much as possible. But please explain I have learned to respect your opinion. Some of the choices i made were personal and not because i thought i needed them to play rift lol.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 10:10pm
Let me help, the difference between a sata 3 hdd on sata 3 port vs sata 2 port is nothing.

why?

because the speeds of hdd are not fast enough to max out sata 2, so the fact that its sata 3 compatible means nothing.

I'm telling you this because you are pretty much dealing with the same thing when it comes to pcie 3.0.

right now a 580 does not max out a pcie 2.0 lane, so having pcie 3 is not gonna mean much till something comes out that actually will use it, in this case it would be a gpu, and I'm sure next year's gpus will be pcie 3, I don't see the gpus needing that much bandwidth any year soon, I think in around 3 years gpus will max out pcie 2, by that time its time for a new mobo and etc anyways.

so now my question to you is, do you really need pcie 3 support?
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 10:14pm
No sir....you make perfect sense to me on that one.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 10:24pm
Just making sure, sometimes people have something in mind that does actually use it, in case of sata 3, with some of today's ssds you do need sata 3.

pcie tho is gonna be new and 2.0 is already plenty for gpus, plus with sli 570 ( yes not 580, we get to that later if you like) you are going to be doing great with games for the next 2 years, long story short you are not going to need pcie 3 for about 2 or 3 years to begin with, and who knows if gpus will need that much bandwidth then even.

so we can change the mobo and some other stuff, now the reason I'm going to use only stuff that gives us performance we will see is because I like to save the rest and put it towards a better monitor, what was your budget for the monitor originally before you spoke to me?

here is what you should go with:

Here you go Ticket# 603905 --- $2,419 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA Edition)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

my config has better airflow more room, cpu-wise I have more power, gpu-wise I match your power, I do all of that with savings of over $100 that can go towards a better/bigger ips monitor.

you can get the same performance from ode 3 but then in the future if you want to upgrade the sli to future cards and they have needs of a 580 sli the 800w can't do it.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Oct 2011 at 10:26pm
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 11:22pm
I have a few changes in mind on that build. Just let me know if there are reasons on why I should not change your choices.

First I know that case is popular but I think it os tacky. I like the more plain looking clean look with minor lighting and a side window.

Changed the RAM to the Corsair Dominator since it is only $17 and looks to be better quality??

Since the MB is not z68 do i need that large of a SSD?

Upgrade the 570 to the 2.5gb version?

Tune down the overclock a little unless you think the stage 2 is completely stable and reliable....just makes me nervous without using a liquid cooled system.

So check this build and let me know. 603914
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 11:30pm
1. the case is popular for its performance, money is better spent on monitor. 650d does not have the airflow of haf x and in sli you gonna want it.

2. ram is the same won't matter, its cheap and easy to change worst case scenario. keep it DS, trust me if it mattered I would have chosen corsair, as you see for psu I chose corsair cause that does matter.

3. mobo has nothing to do with ssd size, the 120GB should be enough to keep os/apps/games.

4. only reason you would need 2.5GB version of 570 is if you getting a monitor with higher res than 1900 x 1200.

5. I chose the oc cause its safe, the 2600k is unlike older cpus, it can do things older cpus can't do.

just ask DS to give you a vcore lower then 1.4.

you never told me your original budget for the monitor.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 12:42am
I guess I was thinking of z68 caching feature and the p6 not having it.

I'll take your word on the RAM and the oc.

Im not sure what a vcore is....

Budget for monitor is whatever I have to spend. Any suggestions for a good 19 inch? I prefer Samsung.

It is not easy for me to choose 570 over 580 so I was trying to make myself feel better by upgrading to the 2.5g version.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 12:53am
We are not using caching feature at all, with a good size ssd you don't need it, the ssd will give you all the speed you need.

vcore is the voltage for the cpu, when ocing you adjust this to higher so that the oc stays stable, however lot of times if you play with it, you can get a high oc and low vcore, for example there are many people here that have a oc of 4.6GHz with vcore under 1.4.

I'm hoping your monitor can be bigger then 19", here is some info for you:

1. response time is a bs number, its there to fool you and does not represent the true response time of the monitor, there is no real way of truly finding what response time is, the closest to it is white to white but you don't see that, you see grey to grey or black to black cause they give small numbers to fool users but they don't mean anything, there are different methods to get these numbers also, and each will give a different number as results, therefore you can even compare one to the other, cause we don't know what method was used for which, and even if we did, still GTG or BTB don't mean anything.

2. contrast ratio is also bs number.

Most important thing about a monitor is its panel, right now there are 2 major ones, TN and IPS, IPS has superior picture quality/clarity.

here are some ips panels:

Dell UltraSharp u2312

Dell UltraSharp U2410M

now only buy those when they go on sale, or when you find a good coupe, cause you can get the 2312 for $270.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:24am
Hi Dynamus,

DST4ME has given you a really solid build. Your choice of the 60GB SSD is a very bad choice. Stick with what DST4ME has suggested, you won't be disappointed.

You should figure out how to get a monitor bigger than 19". A 23" would be a much better monitor for gaming. Try and get a monitor with an IPS screen but Samsung doesn't make one. I think the screen type is much more important than the manufacture.

Frank
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 2:14pm
I have been playing on a 17 inch for the past 6 years so that is why I thought 19 would be a nice upgrade.

I was looking at the monitors you linked amd they are really nice. I'll see if i can find one on sale and snatch it up.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 2:30pm
to get it on sale you have to wait till dell puts them sale but in the meantime you should keep searching for a coupon you probably find those faster, either dell home or business will do.

here if you use this coupon ZXP20F740G$W11 you can get the 2312 for $269 right now.

go here add it to the cart then enter the code

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Oct 2011 at 2:31pm
Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

pcie tho is gonna be new and 2.0 is already plenty for gpus, plus with sli 570 ( yes not 580, we get to that later if you like) you are going to be doing great with games for the next 2 years, long story short you are not going to need pcie 3 for about 2 or 3 years to begin with, and who knows if gpus will need that much bandwidth then even.

I don't want to jack this thread, but do you mind elaborating more about this.  I'm aware that there are different PCI slots on the motherboard.  Could you explain the difference between the different PCI slots?

Also it seems like you really favor the 570 over the 580 -- even in SLI.  As someone who is looking to buy a computer soon, would explain why you prefer the 570 over the 580?

Edited by Brewtus - 09 Oct 2011 at 2:50pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 2:53pm
Brewtus open your own thread and I will be happy to help you there, but real quick, pci slots have different bandwidths, pcie 2.0 has max of 16, but you only need 8 for todays gpus. mobo makers often lie about the ability of their mobos.

where it counts the difference between 570 and 580 is like 2 to 6 fps which is little and not noticeable but in sli its even less noticeable, when you are getting more power then you need, even more power will mean nothing.

each mobo has different setup for pci slots but the platform itself will dominate on abilities, for example the p67/68 mobo has total of 16 lanes which means at best it can do only dual sli correctly.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Oct 2011 at 2:55pm
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 2:53pm
DST4ME you are awesome, I feel like i need to give you some free investment advise for payback lol.

Check this monitor out on newegg and let me know if you think it is solid. If you think the dell is the way to go ill be purchasing it today.

http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-122

It is the ASUS ML239H 23" IPS
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 2:57pm
The dell is a better monitor IMHO it has better specs on somethings and I'm not familiar with that monitor, we have many dell users here so I know the track record for the dell.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 3:15pm
Fair enough....the Dell it is.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 3:46pm
You are not going to find one person that does not like their ips panel from dell.

one person had an issue with the 27" but after 3 returns I guess he got whatever it was fixed.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 3:46pm
One last item to address. I can not spend money on that HAF case. I dont care if it is the best cooling case ever created. So here are 3 options listed I think I can live with.

Silverstone Raven 3
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Edition Black
Corsair 650D

I will also check the cases available in the other section to see if there is one I like.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 3:54pm
I also like the Black OPS Assassin and Hailstorm cases but not sure if DS would let me use one since I am building a Special OPS comp.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 4:00pm
you don't want the hailstorm for an air cooled system. assassin does not have as much room and airflow as the haf 942.

we like the haf for its airflow, the one you like has the least fans/airflow, it has only 2 200mm fans vs the 4 of haf 942. if you like black why don't you paint the haf 942 black.

if you want a blackops case then you have to go to that section which means the cost will go up by around $400.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 4:11pm
It is not the color that bothers me, it is all of the crazy knobs and mesh on every square inch of the case.

It is kind of like a car body, what I love and would be willing to buy someone else might think looks stupid. My preference on a case is streamlined and clean looking with as little mesh as possible.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 4:14pm
I can totally understand that, problem is that when you get that you lose airflow, and you need the airflow for the sli, it makes a good difference when you have that side 200mm fan blowing air on the gpus.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 4:52pm
You always make a good argument thats for sure. I could always buy some better fans off of newegg and replace them myself. I dont guess upgrading my cpu cooler to the Corsair H70 would make any difference would it?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 5:03pm
If you are talking about going from a70 to h70, that is not an upgrade, thats a downgrade.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Oct 2011 at 5:03pm
Aka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

You are not going to find one person that does not like their ips panel from dell.

one person had an issue with the 27" but after 3 returns I guess he got whatever it was fixed.

im actually on my fourth one as we speak, last one had a subtle line down the middle of it..FOURTH YES....dont rly know if its this model or wat, after three failures u think i could upgrade to the 30in for free, since im making payments still but wat can u do. personally i will not go dell ever again but thts just me..dont get me wrong picture is excellent if it works..quality control like this i have never experienced.

my DS machine on the other hand not one single hiccup couldnt b more satisfied!! Strong

Edited by Aka - 09 Oct 2011 at 7:55pm
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:26pm
Ahhh sorry to hear about your experience. I have had a horrible experience with a dell comp myself but figured the monitors would be a different animal.

Going from a 17 inch to a 23 inch is going to be a huge difference for me so I am sure I wont be looking at the 27 inch model.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:02pm
The biggest difference you gonna see is the picture quality

@Aka, you must have the worst luck or something, thats too many monitors to still have issues.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:15pm
My old Syncmaster 731b had a great picture ;)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:24pm
IPS has better                                       
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 11:39pm
Hey DST4ME I went in to buy the Dell monitor and it was not givong the price it gave you even after the coupon you gave me.

But I saw the U2212HM right next to the one you suggested. It is the same monitor from what I can tell but way cheaper and only 1.5 inches smaller.

Check me and make sure I am correct in saying it is the same thing if you dont mind.....Dell's site is being a PITA on my phone.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 11:56pm
I already know about it, its not the same its specs are the lowest of all of them.

so you tried to get it online and the coupon was not working already? if yes then that is how those work, people use them up quick.
Aka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 12:30am
ya its  been pretty frustrating for me to the say the least, first 2 pretty much just went i mean died..3rd one there was like a subtle line i could see most of the time right down the middle looked like 2 diff panels, one side would be brighter thn the other side. would see it in games and wen i watch tv through my cable box via hdmi..my first one was a new monitor, but after all these replacements they been just refirbished ones so tht could b y..but ya bad luck..actaully just got my fourth one a couple days ago, so im keepin my fingers crossed...

on another note, i asked them if i could upgrade to another model preferably the 30 in figuring tht im not 100% satisified w/ this model but they told me no, they cant do tht i would have to purchase another one all together..tht kind of pissed me off...the replacement came in and i was thinking about keepin both monitors but tht would void the warranty on the replacement so ya didnt do tht, was tempting tho LOL

YAY IM A GROUPIE!!! LOLLOL

Edited by Aka - 10 Oct 2011 at 12:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>