FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2nd GPU Install on HAF X

Post Date: 2011-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LaneHayes View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LaneHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2nd GPU Install on HAF X
    Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 10:39am
So I've got it pretty well figured out, the second GTX 570 is installed and running great. Took a while to realize I had to use the right slot, the card didnt fit in the blue one. Works though, there is some space between them now.

However, I had to remove 2 pieces from the HAF X, a metal mounting brace that was directly in front of the side fan, and some sort of funnel coming off the back of the hard drive.

I think I see a way I can reinstall the video card 'brace' thing, but the funnel would be much more difficult and would be resting literally on the 2nd lower video card. Are these pieces necessary?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 11:40am
Hi LaneHayes... I don't have the Haf-X but i believe the bracket is a support bracket for longer, heavier gpu cards which unless you transport pc for Lan parties you don't need.
The plastic funnel is to direct air to gpu's, is adjustable with thumb screws but, again, not needed. 
Maybe someone with a Haf-X will chime in and say for sure.

Best of LuckBig%20Smile
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:55pm
As brat22 said they are not required. If you had some 590's then the support bracket would be useful but not for 570's. The funnel is 100% pointless unless you mount a fan inside of it.

The tech at DS just installed those items to begin with since they do come with the case. For mine the funnel was installed but the support bracket was just in the box with all my extra parts.

As the funnel gets screwed into the MOBO it will not be putting any weight on the GPUs so if you wanted to install a fan in it you'd be fine. It takes a 140mm I believe. It will not make too much difference but with the higher case temps due to having SLI it will help keep your temps down a few degrees.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 5:46pm
With the stock fans of haf I doubt the other fans will make even 1c difference, having said that more airflow never hurts as long as it does not introduce more noise.

the vga holder holds a 80mm fan I believe.

personally I would say forget the b racket and all and just let them sit there under the 200mm side fan.

if your load temps are at 85c or higher then I would start to look at more fans and funnel and etc, jm299 and b22 provided some great info also.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Dec 2011 at 5:52pm
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 1:17pm
Yeah the VGA shroud/funnel holds a 120mm, not a 140mm like I thought and the metal support bracket can hold an 80mm. The fan shroud is in an otherwise dead spot in terms of air flow so I personally would use it if I had an SLI set up, and actually will use it when I upgrade later on.

The side fan helps blow air on to the cards but the fan on that shroud will help push hot air out that builds up between the cards. The 80mm that fits on the support bracket would be in the same spot as the side panel fan so yeah I don't see the point of that. It would only work on a really long card like a 590 as it would sit at the back of the card that sits too far back from the side panel fan.

Also, that 120mm fan that fits inside that shroud will also push air across the MOBO chip set which is also useful. In an SLI set up that chip set gets blocked off by the second card so that 120mm fan will help the air flow around that chip set.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 2:00pm
True However that why we have the side fan and front fan blowing air in, the side blows from top while the front blows air across mobo, you need a bunch of hdds running hot to effect the temp of the air coming from the front.

in short the great thing about haf is that its airflow is great, meaning it covers the cpus/mobo/etc all with just the big fans, so the other fans are not need at best they may produce 1c difference, but as I said before personally I like all the airflow I can get as long as noise is not an issue and I know the 80mm will be an issue the 120 will depend on what you get.
 Post Reply Post Reply