FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2x NVidia 3090 GPU's in NON-SLI Config?

Post Date: 2021-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ExBrit View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2x NVidia 3090 GPU's in NON-SLI Config?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 9:26am
When configuring Aventum top-priced version with Intel Core i9 12000 Series CPU you offer a choice of 2 RTX3090 GPU's in SLI but all the motherboard choices all are NON-SLI, so why not 2 GPU's Non-SLI?

Edited by ExBrit - 01 Nov 2021 at 5:07am
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 11:25am
Simple answer: Agreed.

Long answer: There's a lack of information/transparency.

For example, the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (which DS offers on AMD Ryzen systems) does support SLI and CrossFireX. The feature is stated in both the tech specs and user manual. However, DS notes it as "No SLI" in the configurator.

Why?

Probably because Nvidia has dropped SLI control from its drivers.

NVIDIA SLI Support Transitioning to Native Game Integrations (via Tom's Hardware)

I can't find official verification but... It seems the NVLink bridge is still useful, although, strictly dependent on application -- no more trying to utilize even if the app isn't coded.

Again, I do agree the option of NVLinked and non-NVLinked multiple graphics card configurations would be nice. Fortunately, the NVLink bridge has an MSRP of $79.99 -- Maybe $100 marked up. IMO, a tolerable expense when considering a person is already acceptably handing over a significant amount of money on dual RTX 3090s. That is, even at MSRP ($1,500 RTX 3090 x 2, $80 bridge), the additional cost is less than 3%.

Edited by MrCheetah - 31 Oct 2021 at 11:32am
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
ExBrit View Drop Down

Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 11:43am
In my case I would be looking for max GPU abilities as I would be using the machine mainly for Grid Computing (Folding@home, Seti@home etc), with the occasional gaming.
I grew to dislike AMD components as I found lots of problems with their drivers after their merger.    Never a problem with Intel & NVidia.  My current machine is 11 years old and wont get Windows 11 as it is hopelessly out of date.

Edited by ExBrit - 03 Nov 2021 at 5:45am
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 4:50pm
MrCheetah,

This is why I like the Digital Storm Forum because of people like you that saves the rest of us research time on these kinds of issues.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
ExBrit View Drop Down

Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 5:49am
I was hoping a @DigitalStorm official would notice this thread and give buyers the option of 2x GTX3090 (No SLI) or provide a Motherboard with the ability to support them.
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:17pm
DS is a busy outfit...You can always contact Sales to ask or discuss any special requests. If there is or is not a current Intel 2x SLI board they can help you determine that and cost.
ExBrit View Drop Down

Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 6:28am
OK, thank you.
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:05am
From what we've seen the support for NVLink or even two 3090's is lacking on all Intel Z690/Z590 chipsets and also AMD X570. This is due to a spacing issue for the NVLink connector as well.

To get full support, we recommend an Intel X299 or AMD Threadripper configuration.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:10pm
@Alex: I indeed did not find any mention of SLI/NVLink on the few Z690 Asus boards I quickly searched the specs and manual on. The X570 boards seem to still mention SLI but little or no NVLink. It really does appear Nvidia has put SLI/NVLink in the closet.

So, is the configurator going to be adjusted? It does still offer dual 3090s but because the consumer/prosumer motherboards all indicate "No SLI" the configurator throws an alert. And if/when it is updated, will there be no dual GPU options for the non-workstation systems?

@ExBrit: Fortunately, software such as Folding@Home does not require SLI or NVLink to utilize multiple GPUs. However, I can't verify as I don't have any multi-GPU systems at the moment. Additionally, the one final benefit of NVLink, combining/sharing VRAM between graphics cards when necessary, is irrelevant for F@H.

What about multi-GPU support? | Folding@Home

On the system in my signature...

Maximum usage over the past 24 hours (HWMonitor):

GPU: 100%
VRAM: 3%
Frame buffer: 79%
Bus/Interface: 23%

Edited by MrCheetah - 04 Nov 2021 at 2:11pm
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 6:47pm
In a report I read somewhere earlier this year, nVidia stated they would no long be supporting SLI.

The guy who was in charge of the SLI division at nVidia had already left their organization.

SO, my thinking is, IF you can find specific specs with a particular software that states multiple gpus would still benifit in that programs performance, dual gpus are pointless UNLESS you need to run more monitors than one card can handle. I know several gamers who run two gpus only because they are running 5-6 monitor set ups for the gaming experience.
Old Gamers Never Die!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 2:46am
I used to be a fan of SLI/NVLink (up to 4 GTX980s), have gone to the mono gpu setup and am very pleased with results. Temps are down and play is good. That only because of the power of the new gpus. Smile
If you are in the numbers crunching (science) programing you probably benefit from multi gpus. There is still a physical connection on the 3090s.

ExBrit View Drop Down

Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:25am
Thanks everyone.
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
ExBrit View Drop Down

Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 6:33am
As a footnote, I see them now offering  this GPU twice at two different prices, so I wonder if they need to make one of those non-SLI
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:14pm
Alex has tried to explain that non-SLI is automatic when it's not supported by the motherboard. (Gaming section.) They have other boards in the workstation area that CAN do SLI. That's why it's priced in the configurator. The price differences are for the Founder's Edition vs the Performance Edition.   
ExBrit View Drop Down

Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 3:54am
"Other boards" - there is no choice in the configurator unless I change to AMD which I do not want to do.
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 12:30pm
I've been a fan of SLI for a long time. I had three 480's, three 580's, three 980 Ti's, and two 2080 Ti's. However, I finally gave up on SLI this year, and my new machine has a single 3090. I couldn't be happier!

Fewer and fewer games are supporting SLI, and the games that do frequently have glitches. For example, I'm huge fan of the Tomb Raider series. Supposedly all the recent versions of that game support SLI. However, when I enable SLI in those games I get micro stuttering, flickering textures, and assorted other problems.

Plus, SLI is not as important now that we have GSYNC monitors. Before GSYNC, poorly performing games would suffer from screen tearing (partial frame drawing), and you could really feel it when a game slowed down. That doesn't happen with GSYNC, and I find that games feel really good even when the frame rate drops.

But yes, there are still some games that support SLI well. I would recommend that you research the games that you intend on playing, and make sure they support SLI well. If several of them do, then SLI with two 3090's might make sense. However, there is a good chance that your favorite games won't. Either way, make sure you invest in a good GSYNC monitor. That's a technology that every game supports.

Cheers! And enjoy your shopping. It's always so much fun planning a new gaming computer!
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 5:37pm
@JamesAstro: You're correct regarding games utilizing multi-GPUs. However, other modern software (e.g., Folding@Home, crypto mining, Octane Render) is capable of utilizing multi-GPUs without an NVLink bridge or any type of support via the driver. This also includes supporting a mix of GPU models in a single system. Of course, having identical models is beneficial. For example, if you're using Octane for 3D rendering and have a 3090 and 3080 Ti, VRAM usage is limited to 12GB (the lowest amount of all utilized graphics cards). In contrast, you can use an NVLink bridge with dual 3090s to have 48GB of VRAM capacity, but it is a little slower and is limited to certain data types (the rest needs to be stored in system RAM, slower still).

Basically, software developers have been implementing their own multi-GPU management systems for several years already.

P.S. When gaming with multiple GPUs installed... As far as I'm aware, they will be run on whatever graphics card the primary monitor is connected to.

Originally posted by ExBrit

As a footnote, I see them now offering this GPU twice at two different prices, so I wonder if they need to make one of those non-SLI

As @Cretae mentioned, the new options allow customers to select Founders Edition cards (Nvidia's own produced) or "Performance" editions, models from companies such as EVGA, Asus, MSI, Zotac that are designed with higher overclocking in mind (e.g., handle more power).

Originally posted by Alex

To get full support, we recommend an Intel X299 or AMD Threadripper configuration.

Originally posted by ExBrit

"Other boards" - there is no choice in the configurator unless I change to AMD which I do not want to do.

From what I see, both X299 board options are listed with "No SLI". Just three of the Threadripper boards are the only choices. The configurator states PCIe slot spacing is the problem.

@ExBrit: I recommend verifying all of the apps you use have multi-GPU support (outside of SLI/NVLink). If they check out, you'll need to message or call DS if your desire is still to get a rig with multiple graphics cards (at least at the moment).
ExBrit View Drop Down

Quote ExBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 7:41am
Excellent, thank you.
---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---
ronh85345 View Drop Down

Quote ronh85345 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:48pm
I dont need nvlink or sli, however I do need two gpus in order to support my 6 monitors. I would like to have the two 3090 but the online ordering says non of the motherboards support sli. Again I don't want the two cards linked. If or can I order any of the motherboards with two 3090 without sli or nvlink?

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:22pm
I would contact Digital Storm directly. I bet they'd be happy to add a 2nd card to your order.
ronh85345 View Drop Down

Quote ronh85345 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:46pm
I can add two cards online. The problem is the motherboards too chose from doesn't allow two card configuration. Online allows two gpus, just no motherboard to use them. They need to fix this and give us an option. They are difficult to get ahold of even when you are practically throwing money at them. They must be terribly backed up
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:17am
Originally posted by MrCheetah

@JamesAstro: You're correct regarding games utilizing multi-GPUs. However, other modern software (e.g., Folding@Home, crypto mining, Octane Render) is capable of utilizing multi-GPUs without an NVLink bridge or any type of support via the driver. This also includes supporting a mix of GPU models in a single system. Of course, having identical models is beneficial. For example, if you're using Octane for 3D rendering and have a 3090 and 3080 Ti, VRAM usage is limited to 12GB (the lowest amount of all utilized graphics cards). In contrast, you can use an NVLink bridge with dual 3090s to have 48GB of VRAM capacity, but it is a little slower and is limited to certain data types (the rest needs to be stored in system RAM, slower still).

Basically, software developers have been implementing their own multi-GPU management systems for several years already.

P.S. When gaming with multiple GPUs installed... As far as I'm aware, they will be run on whatever graphics card the primary monitor is connected to.

That option is available as a workstation PC. Look in that section. There is no purpose for multiple GPUs for a gaming rig anymore. SLI/NVLink is not supported for gaming, and two running independently won't help. Motherboards, as well as most other PC parts, are very hard to come by, and there's no demand for what you seek in gaming. SLI is over.

Edited by Cretae - 19 Jan 2022 at 3:27am
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by ronh85345

I can add two cards online. The problem is the motherboards too chose from doesn't allow two card configuration. Online allows two gpus, just no motherboard to use them. They need to fix this and give us an option. They are difficult to get ahold of even when you are practically throwing money at them. They must be terribly backed up

Originally posted by Cretae

That option is available as a workstation PC. Look in that section. There is no purpose for multiple GPUs for a gaming rig anymore. SLI/NVLink is not supported for gaming, and two running independently won't help. Motherboards, as well as most other PC parts, are very hard to come by, and there's no demand for what you seek in gaming. SLI is over.

Yes, nowadays, reasonable use of multi GPUs is limited to very few tasks. And as also stated, dual card configurations are only available for Workstation PCs.

Meant for high-demand/large professional workloads/flows, workstation components are far from cheap. You would be spending more than $9,000. Some quickly configured examples:

Velox with dual GeForce RTX 3090 FE
Config #: 4269298

Velox with dual liquid cooled GeForce RTX 3090
Config #: 4269312

Aventum with dual liquid cooled GeForce RTX 3090
Config #: 4269334

We are simply advising you to understand and choose components appropriate to your needs.

@Cretae: Did you quote me by mistake?
ronh85345 View Drop Down

Quote ronh85345 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:31pm
Thank you but I don't want a workstation pc. What I want is a gaming rig with two gpus (doesn't have to be sli). One gpu will not be sufficient for my six monitors.
ronh85345 View Drop Down

Quote ronh85345 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:32pm
If you all have a better way to handle six monitors WITHOUT going to a workstation please advise.
ronh85345 View Drop Down

Quote ronh85345 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:02pm
Perhaps I am asking this the wrong way. How would either of you build a computer that can handle six monitors. I am more than willing to consider one 3090, but it can only handle a max of 4 monitors.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:51pm
I get it.

After quite a bit of searching/research:

• MST hubs are hit and miss
• AMD and Nvidia reportedly restrict (at the firmware or driver level) the maximum number of displays to what is listed in the specs on the RX 6000 and RTX 30 series cards (at the very least). In other words a compatible MST hub is for most intents and purposes useless.
• Intel UHD 770 supports up to four displays (e.g., 12900K).
-- The functionality is motherboard (BIOS) dependent. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm. For example, the Asus Prime Z690-A has one HDMI and one DisplayPort. Keyword searching and skimming the specs as well as the user manual showed no other useful info on the subject. Basically, there is nothing suggesting both ports won't operate simultaneously but also nothing verifying they will.

So, I see two options, both involve contacting Digital Storm:

• Verify with DS whether you can use both HDMI and DisplayPort on the motherboard at the same time -- that would handle two displays. If so, you will be able to order a system with a single graphics card that fits the higher spec monitors' resolutions and your graphics demands.
• Discuss the situation with DS, which (I assume) they would be able to place an order with dual graphics cards in a non-workstation rig. Again, I recommended choosing one graphics card that fits your primary need with the secondary being as plausibly minimal as possible (e.g., RTX 3090 and GTX 1650).

If you want input on other configuration details, including primary graphics card selection, we would need to know your monitors' resolutions, what your intent is (e.g., gaming, video editing), and if gaming, what your preferences/expectations are (e.g., in-game resolution, FPS, quality settings).

Edited by MrCheetah - 19 Jan 2022 at 5:01pm
ronh85345 View Drop Down

Quote ronh85345 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:56pm
Thank you Mrcheetah. Sounds like I need to place a call to DS when I order my new computer.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by ronh85345

If you all have a better way to handle six monitors WITHOUT going to a workstation please advise.

Apparently some monitors can be daisy chained. I've never done it, but it sounds like it might solve your problem. Here is an article on the subject:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-daisy-chain-monitors

I'm still not sure if you could attach 6 monitors to a single card using this approach, but it might be worth investigating.
ronh85345 View Drop Down

Quote ronh85345 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:29pm
Thank you JamesAstro. Here's the thing. If I'm going to spend the money I need to do it right. That is one connector per monitor. The only way I can do it is have two graphics cards. Any other way (although it might work) it will cheapen the quality. I do not need them to be sli linked. Just two gpu cards. I have my current rig sli linked and I have never used them. Currently looking at either two 3090s or two 3080ti. I just need DS to have an option that allows me to do this WITHOUT sli/nvlink. I saw the option on there web site last year, then it disappeared. I will xall them eventually. Thank you all for your help
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:19am
Originally posted by MrCheetah

@Cretae: Did you quote me by mistake?

Not a chance.   
 Post Reply Post Reply