FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3.5-4k Gaming Rig - Feedback Request

Post Date: 2011-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aksimel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aksimel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 3.5-4k Gaming Rig - Feedback Request
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:47pm
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=520143

Budget is 3500-4000.  Gaming on a single monitor in 1920x1080, but I want "MAX" settings to run butter smooth in the latest games.

I considered an SSD, but it seems like the actual in-game performance boost from one won't be worth the extra investment yet - thoughts?

2x 6970's seems like the best option for 1920 with max textures, anti-aliasing, etc. (vs 2x 580's)

The 2000mhz ram might be overkill?  Thoughts?

About the PSU - how crappy is the non-name brand 750w?  Worth upgrading to the corsair?  Or do think with this build I need to go to 1000w?

Lastly, cooling & noise - I'm a big fan of overclocking & water cooling, but I don't want too much noise if I'm doing stuff other than gaming - hence the sound isolation, scythe fans & upgrades.  What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks in Advance.

Greg

Original Specs:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 2000MHz GTX-8 Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:Green Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Radiator Fans With Scythe GentleTyphoon 120mm Fans (D1225C12B4AP-14) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: Scythe Kaze Master Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) (KM01-BK)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.5GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by Aksimel - 11 Apr 2011 at 1:49pm
Aroberts0820 View Drop Down

Quote Aroberts0820 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 2:13pm
I think the best way to think about SSDs are as follows. Your CPU is amazing, so are your graphics card and RAM, so why bottle-neck yuor system when you can add a SSD. If you invest in a larger SSD and put the games you frequently play on it as well as the system, in my opinion the performance is well worth the cost. Depending on the game you may or may not notice an increase in performance, it all depends on how often that game accesses the hard drive.

If you plan on going Crossfire you may want to go for the 1000w PSU. Your system will be taxed less for power and you will have the option to add a 3rd card later down the line. Whereas the motherboard you selected supports another video card, I don't know. I'm sure the non-name brand, assuming it's DSO certified, will be fine. I don't think DSO would want to carry items that would potentially cause problems with their systems and ultimately cost them money.

I don't really know a whole lot about the 2000MHz RAM. As far as I knew it is just overclocked 1600MHz RAM, but I'm probably wrong. Wait for one of the other dudes to come through here and post. I'm certainly not the most knowledgable around here.

Aksimel View Drop Down

Quote Aksimel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:55pm
Thanks for the response & advice Aroberts.

DSO suggested a 1000w, so that question is answered.

As for the SSD, it's such an easy add later on that I think I'll wait - hopefully prices will continue to drop.  Not like the Raid 0 config of the two SATA 3 WD's will be *slow* :P 

The 2000mhz ram is still a question mark tho, I'm sort of leaning towards keeping it in given that the system is going to be overclocked on the whole - and it's only $30 more than the 1600mhz..... I dunno, still looking for advice on this one.  (of course the other alternative is to go with 16gigs, but I'm pretty sure that is a waste for current games?)

Lastly, have any thoughts on the cooling/fan setup?  I did a little research on the Gentle Typhoon fans, and they seem pretty legit, if expensive.  I suppose that one suggestion could be to get rid of some of the cooling options (fans, insulation etc) and use that money for a boot SSD? 

Again, thanks to all in advance for any advice!

Greg

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:14am
when it comes to psu its very simple, the DS certified's maker is actually unknown as technps does not maker their own psus, and has only a 2 year warranty.

the corsair is a brand name, you can easily find out who made the psu and it has a 5 year warranty with a track record you can follow.

570 sli is best choice for 1900 x 1200, cf 6970 is best choice for 2560 x 1600.

you don't want a 750w psu for dual cf sli of these cards, for single go with 750w, for dual go with 1000w for tri sli cf go with 1200w, but you have to match the mobo and platform, for example you don't want to go tri cf/sli with the p67 platform.

HDD setup is suppose to be like this:

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

you need to match your rad and fans, aka, putting a fan like GentleTyphoon on a rad that works best with high cfm fans, will not help, it will hurt, so you need to make sure the rad used are either feser or xspc rx version.

noise package is not a good idea, trap noise, trap heat, and at the end of the day, 90% of your noise will come from the gpu's fans when under load, so when you are not gaming, there should be no real noise.

for your oc the 1600MHz is just fine.

Here you go Ticket# 520579 --- $3323 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:Green Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Radiator Fans With Scythe GentleTyphoon 120mm Fans (D1225C12B4AP-14) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.5GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I kept the GentleTyphoon with assumption that you will make sure the correct rad is used.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Apr 2011 at 3:14am
Aksimel View Drop Down

Quote Aksimel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 4:30pm
Thanks for the advice DST4ME.

I purchased the system today pretty much as you advised, except that the scythe fans were on back order, so I took those off and went to stage 4 cooling. (larger radiator)

I figure I can add quieter/adjustable speed fans and a rheostat as a little project down the road.

Thanks again,

Greg

PS I better love this SSD or else! *shakes fist* ;)

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 11:43pm
I would be surprised if you didn't like that ssd to be honest, the old gen 2 (x25) has had a great track record here with the users, and the new one has the same controller, little better speed on some things and much better price, so you should love it.

Congrats Let the torture begin
 Post Reply Post Reply