FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3 Hard Drive Related Questions

Post Date: 2010-02-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Captain Francis View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 3 Hard Drive Related Questions
    Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:52pm
I don't know if this is the right section for this or not.  If not, I apologize. 

I bought my DS rig with a 500 gig WD Caviar Blue, and I want to add a 1TB Caviar Black (already purchased).

Now... I know some people on the forum favor having just a 500 gig for the primary drive, but since a Black is faster (and supposedly less susceptible to wear and tear) than a Blue, I would think I should use the Black as the boot drive instead, even though it's a 1TB.  Is there any reason not to do that?

And can you clone data from a 500 gig to a 1TB?  This may be a "duh" question, but I've never done it before.

While I'm at it, another question, I have Windows 7, and I notice even when the computer is just sitting around doing nothing it accesses the HD at least once a second.   Is that normal?   I know there's always OS stuff running in the background but it seems like it would excessive long term wear on the drive considering I like to leave my computer running for extended periods.  It's done that since the day it came out of the box, so I didn't pick up a virus from the net.  My XP machine doesn't do that, but I'm new to Win7.   What could it possibly be doing that needs the HD constantly while idle?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:06pm
other then the fact that you are wasting space, there is no reason why not to do it.

tho we tell people to use a 500GB for os since its much easier to manage, if you have a faster drive you always use that for the os, so in your case you should use the 1TB for os, but I would look into upgrading to a smaller but faster drive in the near future, but thats just me.

you can clone your 500GB to the 1TB, that was gonna be my next recommendation, you can follow my clone guide here.

not sure what your HDD is doing but I would not worry about it, it could be your anti malware software scanning something or god knows what it could be to be honest with you, there is so many possiblities, that its not even funny.

All my pcs are on all the time, so I would say don't worry about it, if you are worried, keep a clone of the os drive somewhere, so that if something does happen then you are ok, I clone my os drives, once or twice a week depending, so that I have an upto date copy just in case.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Feb 2010 at 7:06pm
Captain Francis View Drop Down

Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:53pm
I was originally going to buy a 500, but the 500 gig was 65 dollars, while a 1Tb was 95 so I went with the 1TB.  I do have a lot of games, and I do some video converting now and then, and FRAPS capturing, so it will be nice to to have to worry about space.

Thanks for the link to the cloning.  I think I remember seeing you post it before but if I bookmarked it, it's on the old computer.  It should prove invaluable.

I do have Avast! on here, but if memory serves, the HD already did that out of the box, before I installed anything myself.   Also my old comp has Avast! and even the C: drive will eventually power down due to idleness if I leave it doing nothing for an hour or so, so it's not that. *shrug*  I'm not that worried about it, it just seemed unusual to me.  Also the blindingly bright blue LED flashes make it hard to ignore. lol

Thanks.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:58pm
well just remember you don't want an os drive that has 750GB worth of data, thats gonna take a long time to scan, defrag, backup and etc.

Glad I could help and good luck

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Feb 2010 at 7:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply