FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

300 series

Post Date: 2020-11-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
*Thomas* View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote *Thomas* Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 300 series
    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 12:59pm
hey everyone i had a quick question before i go ahead and put in an order that i'm researching a bit. does anyone here have one of the newer cards? i'v heard bad things and kinda wanted first hand accounts on how it handles heat and games and so on
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 2:16pm
If you are talking about nVidia'a new RTX 3000 series cards, I have one. The one I happened to get was the ASUS TUFF GAMING RTX 3080. It runs great, slightly overclocked from ASUS and runs cool. So far, it handles anything I throw at it.

Ordering the Founders Edition will still get you great results. Only two fans on those but they only run slightly warmer, nothing to worry about and they run at stock clock speeds, which is plenty. Whatever you get, you are good to go.

If you are talking about "crashing issues" that are probably still all over the web (check dates of those posts and you will see they were the initial/first batch release of cards)was fixed by a driver update from nVidia.............. no more problems.

If you are talking about some other card then please be specific as I only guessed on what you might be asking about.
Old Gamers Never Die!
*Thomas* View Drop Down

Quote *Thomas* Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 5:24pm
you got it right, I was going with the 3080 my self and thats good to know that it runs great and it seems they have fixed alot of the problems! Also is there a way to not get the founders ? do i get to pick or do they pick for me thanks again
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 6:29pm
I believe the option is a performance edition of the 3080, which means, not the FE but one from MSI, ASUS, EVGA etc. ( If you hit the "More Info" link on the 3080 gpu selection, they name the cards they draw from, whichever is available first for your build). There are options for Founders Edition AND Performance editions if you went with a 3090, so evidently there is no option to get an FE in the 3080.

You might be able to specify which exact card you want in the 3080 IF you call and talk to them BEFORE you purchase. Good luck.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 14 Nov 2020 at 6:30pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:16am
With the extreme short supply of 3080s industry-wide, it would be unlikely DS could comply with a specific card request. If they could/would honor such a request, it could delay your build well beyond the extra month or so that purchasers are currently experiencing.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:42pm
Nothing ventured noting gained.
No problem in asking. We are a user forum and have no direct contact with DS operations. I know in the past you could specify the card you wanted and if they didn't carry it, they would charge you a fee to get it. Don't know if they still do it but don't see why not.
 Post Reply Post Reply