FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$3500 Gaming PC.... ready to buy....but...

Post Date: 2013-11-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $3500 Gaming PC.... ready to buy....but...
    Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 7:59pm
Budget: $4000

Expectations: Gaming, mainly Battlefield 4 on High graphics at 120 FPS

Saved Ticket #: 890023
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/configcheck.asp?id=890023

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Intel Thunderbolt Technology)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Storage Set 3: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (EVGA Superclocked Edition)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96KHz 7.1
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Total $3395
============================================================

I'm ready to purchase the above machine (or something very close to it). I'll do my own research, but will throw out the questions I have. I'd appreciate any comments you guys may have.

I already have monitor, keyboard, mouse. Just need the PC itself.

1. I want the new 780 Ti graphics card. Digital Storm list the EVGA Superclocked edition, but I want the EVGA Superclocked with ACX Cooling edition. Can anyone at Digital Storm tell me if they intend to stock this card as and when it's available? Or do I need to special order it? I'm not keen on paying the (I think $90) extra special order fee if you are going to stock it soon anyway (like you did with the older 780 S/C ACX card).

2. Motherboard. What's the difference between the ASUS Z87 Expert and the ASUS Sabertooth? I know the Expert has onboard wifi, which would be handy, but I don't know what else is different. Should I pick one or the other?

3. Sound card. 3D Fatal1ty vs X-Fi Titanium HD. What's the difference? I want to take advantage of features like Dolby Digital Live sound in Battlefield. Will both cards do this?

4. Windows 8/8.1. Why is only 8 listed, and not 8.1? Will Digital Storm upgrade and install 8.1 to the machine? Or am I left to do that myself upon receiving the machine?

Thanks for the help

EDIT: See newer thread for detail of actual order now placed:
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/just-placed-my-order-see-what-i-got-gt-tidf21421/

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 15 Nov 2013 at 4:35pm
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:55pm
1. No information on that at the moment. For now, we carry the reference blower design GTX 780Ti SC.

2. The ASUS Z87 Expert features Wi-Fi and Thunderbolt connectivity.

3. The X-Fi Titanium HD currently has issues with Windows 8.1. The 3D Fatal1ty does not from recent reports.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:21pm
Bummer to hear that about the Titanium card as I feel that's the better one for audiophiles... Not saying that the Fatal1ty is bad, but the Titanium has better components...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Nav

1. No information on that at the moment. For now, we carry the reference blower design GTX 780Ti SC.

2. The ASUS Z87 Expert features Wi-Fi and Thunderbolt connectivity.

3. The X-Fi Titanium HD currently has issues with Windows 8.1. The 3D Fatal1ty does not from recent reports.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll hold out until the SC ACX Cooling version of the card is available.

What about Windows 8.1? It's no huge deal if I have to upgrade to 8.1 myself. It would just be good to know if I have to spend an hour or two doing that when I unbox the machine.

I might just leave out the sound card for now and install one myself. I'm hearing good things about the ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus. I'm surprised you don't stock any of the ASUS range.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 6:37am
I know I saw 8.1 Pro as an option but not 8 Basic - perhaps they have a lot of extra licenses to use yet?
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 6:40am
Yes, 8.1 Pro is there. You're right, they are probably just clearing out old 8 licences.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 6:41am
Another question - the power supply.

Would I be okay to use:
750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated

The 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX seems a bit overkill but I'm not sure. There's only 1 graphics card and I don't intend to SLI in the future. 3 hard drives and 1 sound card... not sure how hungry they are?
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 6:47am
If you plan on only using one GPU, the 750 EVGA is the one to go with. HDDs & sound cards don't use much power at all...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Nav

I'm not sure what your source of this information is. I just spotted on the Creative website http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-titanium-hd
they list it as Windows 8 compatible with drivers to download. Are you saying that despite this it's still having issues?

EDIT:
Ok, I see now on the more detailed drivers page that it's specifically Windows 8.1 (8 is ok) that has issues and they estimate Jan 2014 for a fix
http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61105

The 3D Fatal1ty does have 8.1 drivers, and like you say, is reported to be ok. Perhaps I'll select that card in my build.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 5:28pm
ScottishBattleAx,

For the ACX based cooler, we might not have that for quite some time as we went ahead and went with the reference based "blower" design which actually is a good thermal solution since it does not dump heat into the case (something you don't really want anyways).

However, if you DO want the ACX version, we can special order it for you, you will need to get a quote from our team on that.

In regards to Windows 8, we need to clear inventory before we change to Windows 8.1. However, we do offer Pro in 8.1 now. You can also do the Windows update from the Microsoft store to Windows 8.1 easily.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 6:11pm
Thanks Alex. Yep, the reference blower version is certainly also a great option. I just figured that since I'm getting a big case with good air flow that the ACX cooling version would not be any problem for me. Also, it has slightly higher specs including base and boost clock speeds. So under normal circumstances its worth the extra $10-20 to me. I shall put together my final build and send it to your team asking what it would take to special order me a SC ACX version of the 780 Ti.

I understand the situation with Windows 8. No big deal, but I'd rather be playing games in the first hours of my new machine, not updating windows and possibly other drivers along with that. I presume you guys would load the latest/8.1 compatible drivers to the sound card, etc?
keitht06 View Drop Down

Quote keitht06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 7:52pm
For future reference on cards they don't carry atm. When it is a card that becomes popular because people are special ordering it. It then becomes a card that they consider carrying.

I actually own the 3D Fatal1ty and the sound is more than superb in BF4. As for all the homework I had done on choosing a soundcard the X-FI series were being fazed out by SB.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 4:16am
Yeah that seems to be what happened with the older 780 SC ACX. Problem is I don't want to wait what could amount to a couple of months or more. May just have to take the special order hit.

Good to know that sound card is working for you. On Windows 8.1? Do you use any special settings on it for gaming?
I think because I have Astro A40 headset with the Mixamp all I need to do is output raw 5.1 Dolby digital from the sound card (eg, no fancy mode or adjustments to sound at this point), then the Mixamp will work its magic based on my preset, and then feed sound to my headset.
keitht06 View Drop Down

Quote keitht06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 1:20pm
No I still use Windows 7.

O and on this question

2. Motherboard. What's the difference between the ASUS Z87 Expert and the ASUS Sabertooth? I know the Expert has onboard wifi, which would be handy, but I don't know what else is different. Should I pick one or the other?

The cooling is the difference. The Sabertooth utilizes the Thermal Armor to keep the board cooler. It also uses the armor to keep the board dust free. Also it looks great with an all black setup. With more than enough air flow in your system those two shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by keitht06 - 15 Nov 2013 at 1:30pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 2:03pm
Expert has on board wifi - a big plus for me.
Thunderbolt
Wifi go remote connectivity.
I forget what else.

I hear mixed opinions about the sabertooth. Some say the armor can even trap dust under it. And is motherboard temp really an issue? I sure didn't see it as a concern for me with the big case.

I should compare them again. I did a long time ago and forget what else may be unique to the sabertooth. Overall the real features on the Expert were more valuable to me than the armor (a gimmick?) on sabertooth. I'd love to be shown the facts and tests on a sabertooth that shows it does make a real difference.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 2:17pm
For me, a big advantage of Sabertooth over Expert, is the better quality components on the board and the 5 year warranty vs 3 years that speak of its quality.   It doesn't have wifi or Thunderbolt. Of course, if someone isn't the type to swap a defective mobo or don't keep pc for over 3 years then it doesn't matter.

Just a random thought.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 3:09pm
What components are better quality on the Sabertooth?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 3:17pm
Capacitors, coils.... a better grade part.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 4:01pm
Ah I get you. I don't know much about that. I did watch the Newegg video talking about the Expert and JJ from ASUS was going on about the high quality Japanese something or other parts. I guess the Sabertooth is yet another step up in quality from that.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 4:15pm
Yeah, the quality of components can be a factor in price and dependability.   A higher end psu is more bucks because of its internals. I used to troubleshoot to the component level, many moons ago before just swapping boards was just cheaper and faster.

The Expert mobo is a real nice mobo. Can't go wrong either way.   

Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 4:29pm
I've just been comparing the 2 boards some more, in case I did want to make a change to my build (which I have now ordered...I think you saw the thread I started about that). Both good boards. Similarly priced. As far as I can see, the major differences are
Sabertooth = Stronger. Longer lasting. Higher quality capacitors/parts, and the thermal radar/armor system
Expert = More featured/connected. Wifi, Thunderbolt, Wifi Go, NFC Express.

Beyond that, they share most other specifications.

I think I'll stick with the Expert because I'd definitely utilize it's features. And I guess I'll gamble on it not having as long a life as a Sabertooth! Also, as I mentioned, with my big case and high air flow, I don't see cooling being as much of a priority. But as ever, I'm happy to hear any opinions. This is all quite new to me and I'm just learning as I go (enough knowledge to be dangerous LOL)

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 15 Nov 2013 at 4:31pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 4:36pm
The chance of having a mobo issue is pretty small.   Get the features you need and go for it.     
 Post Reply Post Reply