Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
3dGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 3dGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 3D rendering beast
    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:35am
Budget: $10k

Expectations: Fastest 3d rendering and compositing possible within budget. Both on the CPU, and potentially using realtime engines such as Unity or Blender Eevee.

Usage:
3d modeling, animating, rendering, texturing. VR development. Compositing in After Effects.

Special Needs: Fast read/write to RAM and SSD for scrubbing through layered After Effects files.

Saved Ticket #: 2898474

I started with the default Velox Threadrippier configuration, and then bumped up the CPU to 64 cores and added an additional SSD and HD. I have the following questions:

1. Does the default mother board, cooling, and power supply support those upgrades (the configurator didn't warn of any potential conflicts, so I'm assuming it's ok).

2. How does one go about overclocking the CPU? The base level is pretty low since there are so many cores, however it says it gets up to 4.3 when overclocked. So I'm curious how that is done.

3. I don't see a mention of how many USB ports there are, or where they are, or what type.

Thanks for your feedback!
MatthewF View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 10:52am
According to the Asus website,

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Prime-TRX40-Pro/

this motherboard has 6 x USB 3.2 Gen 1, and 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 (3 x Type-A & 1 x Type-C™).

As far as overclocking, if I understand correctly, these CPUs come overclocked by the manufacturer, so no additional overclocking is needed. Thus the "Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking" under the CPU boost menu... meaning you should get the 4.3GHz without any additional modifications.

You should be okay with the default mother board, power supply and cooling, but I would consult with Digital Storm for an assessment. I personally like to go up in Power Supply, just to know I have plenty of headroom for peak demands and future upgrades. The 1200W Corsair HX1200i is currently only $189 more. Also, I would take a look at upgrading the chassis fans... I don't know anything about the standard factory fans, but personally I would consider the Corsair ML PRO Series fans. I'm a fan of the fans! Again, I respect the Digital Storm experts, so I would ask their opinion. Hope this helps.

Edited by MatthewF - 09 Mar 2020 at 10:53am
3dGuy View Drop Down

Quote 3dGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 10:54am
Thanks for the input, Matthew!
 Post Reply Post Reply