FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

~3K Awesome Multitask Config for order next month?

Post Date: 2015-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RonCKFish View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RonCKFish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ~3K Awesome Multitask Config for order next month?
    Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:09am
Budget:
I am targeting $3000 for the computer purchase. I have about 4K to spend but that has to include all the peripherals (monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, headphones, speakers, web cam, controller, etc...)

Expectations:
I hope to be able to enjoy the machine for ~4 years with a minimum of upgrading. (That said, as a question for current owners, how frequently are you having to clean your machines?) At a minimum I would like to have 2 1080 monitors. Budget allowing, I would either go up to 3 1080 monitors or upgrade 1 to a 2K monitor. I do not intend to stretch games across multiple monitors, but rather to have chat, browser, notes, toolboxes etc.. open in monitor 2/3 while gaming/working in the main monitor. Are there any issues with using different resolution monitors with the 980Ti? I am hoping to have at least the main monitor as GSYNC and get 60FPS with it when gaming. Are there issues with having 1 monitor GSYNC and 1 not?

Usage:
I am looking for a machine for multiple purposes:
1. RPG, Adventure, and Strategy Gaming (Fallout 4, Galactic Civilizations 3, Witcher 3, etc..)
2. Audio Recording using an external USB Pre-amp.
3. Graphic Design (GIMP) - This is why I upgraded to 32GBytes RAM.
4. Watching/Ripping Bluerays and DVDs, burning CDs.

Special Needs:
I place a high value on storage. I would prefer the machine to be as quiet as possible, though it is not critical. I also would like to have the removable air filters as dust has been a problem pretty much everywhere we've lived.

Saved Ticket #: 1298951

Questions/Comments:
I based this on the configuration for combatmaster1o3's machine and tweaked a couple of things. While I actually prefer the look of the Slade case and like the idea of it being more quiet, I went back to the Apollo case because I love the 4 USB ports up front. I will be calling them to order this in about 1 month for intended delivery about December 7th. Are there any newer components on the horizon that would suggest a change? For the multiple monitor configuration, would I be better off with double graphics cards? Given my budget, I do not think I can do 2x 980Ti. Would I see better performance with Dual 960s or 970 than with the single 980Ti? I went with 2x 2TB drives for storage as on my last machine I had 1.5TB drive 80% full and I wasn't doing recording regularly. I went with air cooling as my last machine that had water cooling leaked and shorted out a week or so after it went off warranty. That machine had been purchased in 2007. I realize the technology has come a long way since then. What is the general experience of the DS community with water cooling?

Thank you much for comments!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:03pm
1) graphics: since you don't intend to do surround the 980ti will be overkill for 1080p.  you could really afford to drop down to a 970 for what you stated your needs were.  i recommend going with the strongest single card solution over sli with weaker cards.  if you think you will be moving to higher resolutions then get the 980ti.  pleasurable 4K will require 2 of anything currently on the market.   

2) power supply: related to #1 above you have a lot more power supply then you need, unless you intend to sli down the road.  there's no problem (other than cost/budget) in getting a larger psu for future upgrades, because the unit will only draw power for what it needs (a common misconception with people for some reason). 

3) storage: why the 2 hard drives?  i don't see a raid config request in your configuration.  unless you're going to raid i'd get a larger (4TB WD Black) capacity over the dual 2TB models. 

4) cooling: the Noctua air cooler is just as good as most of the 240mm AIO CLC water coolers and will last far longer.  you might also consider upgrading your case fans.  the Apollo only comes with 2 front intake 120mm and 1 rear 140mm.  there is room for 3 more top-mounted 120/140mm fans. 

with an 850W power supply and a 4TB WD Black hard drive as substitutes to your build, i get a price of $2,861 or $2,492 if you drop down to a GTX 970. 

Edited by db188 - 14 Oct 2015 at 1:08pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:33pm
Hi RonCKFish,

I think the Apollo comes with two 140mm front intake fans and one 140mm exhaust fan. That is how they normally come from Corsair. Your build with the suggestions made by db188 will do a great job for you.

Frank
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi RonCKFish,

I think the Apollo comes with two 140mm front intake fans and one 140mm exhaust fan. That is how they normally come from Corsair. Your build with the suggestions made by db188 will do a great job for you.

Frank
you're correct Frank, the incl. fans are all 140mm. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
RonCKFish View Drop Down

Quote RonCKFish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:50pm
Thank you DB and Frank! Would the one 980Ti support a 2K monitor + a 1080 monitor? Would there be any issues if one was GSYNC and other wasn't?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 3:01am
yes, it will support multiple monitors at different resolutions.  i don't know of any G-Sync specific issue with it.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
RonCKFish View Drop Down

Quote RonCKFish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 11:52pm
And my order has been placed! Now the wait begins. Hopefully, I will be getting the machine in the first half of December. And as a bonus, DS is currently selling the ASUS ROG 2K monitor at a bit less than Amazon, so I tacked it on to the order.

:)
Ron

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop 834535 Quantity: 1 $3,871.00
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $125 Quantity: 1 ($125.00)
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME 1 YEAR WARRANTY UPGRADE ($99 VALUE) Quantity: 1 $0.00
- -- FREE NVIDIA Bundle - Assassin's Creed Syndicate or Rainbow Six Siege (Digital Code) Quantity: 1 $0.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W SliverStone Strider
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: Asus ROG SWIFT 27 inch PG278Q (G-SYNC) (144Hz Refresh Rate) (2560 x 1440)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: CM Storm Devastator Bundle (Blue LED Edition) (Gaming Keyboard & Gaming Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:31am
Awesome
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:19am
Outstanding, congrats and welcome to the DS family!!!

Post Reply Post Reply