FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3rd time DS buyer, looking to Upgrade!

Post Date: 2020-11-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dgaleman View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dgaleman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 3rd time DS buyer, looking to Upgrade!
    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 11:59am
Budget:
I'd prefer to stay below $7.5k

Expectations:
I have 3 monitors, my main is a ultrawide, 120 HZ 1440p. My other two monitors are also 144hz. I was going to get a 3090, but it appears that the slight performance boost, really does not justify the price. The main reason I am posting is to double check that what I am going with is not too little or too much. I was considering a 4 PCI motherboard, but that was just so I do not have to remove a monitor from my computer, every time I want to plug in my VR headset.

Usage:
Gaming and more gaming. I play a variety of games, but enjoy BRs and MMOs. I recently tried to stream some BR gameplay, but my 1080 TI could not keep a watchable framerate at 3440x1440p, no matter what solutions I tried, including capture cards and 2 PC streaming.

Saved Ticket #: 3520121

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Pure White <br><strong></strong>
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16-Core) 4.9 GHz Turbo <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus <br><strong></strong>
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB) (Software Controlled Effects) (14 Fans Total) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 6:52am
The 5950 is not yet appearing in my configurator. Did you special order it? IMHO, you would be covered by a 5900X. Higher base clock, and the extra 4 cores in the 5950 aren't meant for much of a boost in gaming. Gaming will never use 64Gb of RAM in the life of this machine, so... total waste. When it's in the budget, 32GB is nice to have at today's prices, but much of that will be idle most of the time strictly in gaming.

If you can get a 5950X, maybe you can get a 6800XT also in about 10 days. I understand there is a synergy built in when paired with a Ryzen 5000 series proc that uniquely boosts performance. Also, the card boasts a 128MB "Infinity Cache" that optimizes keeping the frame buffer, z=buffer and recent textures cached. The card brings ray tracing that supposedly rivals Nvidia's best, and 16GB of VRAM. Pretty impressive, and worth a look IMHO.

The DS "Performance series" SSDs are SATA drives wasting your M.2 slots when NVMe drives are 5 times faster. I recommend the Samsungs for PCIe Gen 3 motherboards (Intel for now), but the Seagate Firecudas are Gen 4 parts that mate better with an AMD Gen 4 board, making performance very similar. The NVMe drives use the PCIe bus, and are a true game-changer when it comes to running Windows and scanning your C: drive. Suggest you partition Storage Set 1 to make the C: drive small and super-efficient. The fewer apps besides browser and maintenance software you put on it, the less pain you have if you have to fresh install Win.

Plenty of overhead in an 850W PSU, but up to you. I don't know about this at all, so, just spit-ballin' but what would a simple splitter do for your plug-in issue as long as the monitor is off?

Hope it helps.
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:16am
You definitely won't complain with this build.

The 5950X is a mean processor.
 Post Reply Post Reply