Post Date: 2009-11-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 4.0Ghz from a 2.66 proc!
    Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 5:28pm
  Hey gang, I know I read this when I got the e-mail but I didn't really even blink until I saw someone elses post with thier stats. Maximum Pc said they coudn't clock thiers past 3.8G with 1.5V.
  One thing I keep readiing and don't know is. What does "a QPI speed of 6.59GT/s" mean? 

Overclocked Processor Settings

Processor Speed GHz: 4.00
CPU Multiplier: 20
Voltage CPU VCore: 1.425
VDroop Control: Yes
i7 - BCLK MHz: 191
i7 - Voltage QPI\DRAM: auto
i7 - Voltage QPI\PLL: auto
i7 - Voltage CPU VTT: 300
i7 - Voltage IOH Vcore: 1.2
i7 - Voltage ICH Vcore: auto
i7 - Voltage IOH/ICH I/O: auto
i7 - PWM Frequency: 800
780i/790i - Memory Clock Mode:
780i/790i - CPU FSB MHz:
780i/790i - Voltage FSB:
780i/790i - Voltage SPP:
780i/790i - Voltage MCP:

Motherboard BIOS: SZ2U
Video Card Driver: 191
Chipset Driver: CD
Sound Card Driver: CD

This is LC so I'm sure the temps are good.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:08am
All chips are not the same, once chip can do 4.0GHz with great vcore and temp and etc, and another will be able to do it with very high vcore and temp and etc, and one won't be able to do it at all.

but we have many owners here with a 920 oced to 4.0GHz with warranty.

qpi has replaced the fsb, its speed in a general manner is the speed that the cpu exchanges data with other components.
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:22am
Will this proc still have a Turbo mode even though it's clocked so high. I know, it's ridiculous but I'm a very curious person. I really really doubt I would ever use Turbo, even if it was running at 2.66G. Remember the old 386DX's that's when you needed Turbo for the boost from 20 to 40. Cool
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:27am
turbo just adds one more multiplier to the 20 you already have, in short its a form of oc, but turbo only oces one core out of 4.

this has all 4 cores running at 4.0GHz, no need for turbo nor will notice any difference from it.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 9:37am
false. His overclock is using "Turbo" the 21 multi, and it adds it to all 4 cores. You can set the C states up so that you get the "22" multi and that will do just core 1.
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 3:33pm
Justin, who's is using 21 with a turbo? Also, Max Pc states and lists a comparison that it only makes small differences once you get up to 3.8Ghz but I think this was when i-7 first came out and they weren't using LC so.....  At what point does it become just bragging rights that it's running at 4.0 and not say 3.66? How much of a difference would there be before the ram or vid card bottlenecks the proc? Are there any charted study, you Vetern DS members know of? I'll even accept personal experience, all I know is it's going to be like going from Fiat to Ferrarri for me. Ouch
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 3:54pm

A lot of people don't understand "Turbo"

I probably have explained it in detail here before, so I am not going to again. lol

Basically your CPU overclock is using "turbo" as in they are using the 21 Multi. Your B-clock is 191x21= 4Ghz   

Every game is different, some will bottleneck the graphics cards with a fairly slow CPU, others with even a very fast CPU will still be the bottleneck.
Some games will see gains from stock CPU speed of 2.6Ghz out to 6Ghz, others will fall of rapidly. There are just too many variables, to say that at a certain clock speed you won't see any more gain, because there is no such speed that is accurate for all situations.
I run mine at 4.6Ghz 24/7 and some games will gain some frames per second with 5Ghz CPU, some won't, but the important min F.P.S. is usually higher with a higher CPU speed, even if the rig is GPU bottlenecked on a particular game.
 I personally can't tell you past 5Ghz because that is all I can do.. till I get my 6 core. Smile
The idea is to have a balanced machine, a 6Ghz CPU with a GTS 250 GPU and 20 Intel SSD's in RAID 0, with 1 gig 1066Mhz RAM, is not the perfect gaming rig.  Balance is what creates a good machine. IMHO
I have done tests that show the CPU/GPU/RAM bottlenecks, and there is no one answer for all games/apps.

BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 4:24pm
Ah wise Justin, did you save the tests so you can post them or load them on a website? I know there's no one answer, I've been doing this since DOS 5.. something. I miss the old mutli-game menu that I created by hand to optimize the hardware for each game that ran DOS4GW and Win 3.1 I don't miss having to set each IRQ by hand and moving hardware around to avoid conflicts though. I too am waiting for 6 core, I'll probably buy it right before 8 core comes out. Shocked
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 5:10pm
OK hold on.

very few games will see any performance gain from oc higher then 3.8GHz, your resolution will make the biggest difference with that, at 1200 x 1000 you will see a lot of difference in fps with oc speed, at 1900 x 1200 you will see very little difference in fps from OC of over 3.8GHz.

second the oc difference in fps is gonna be only noticeable if you are getting below 50 to 60 fps, so if your gpus are giving you 50 fps or higher in the game, no matter how much difference the oc makes, you will not notice it.

last I like to apologize, I didn't even pay any attention to the bclock ,obviously as justing pointed out 20 x 191 does not equal 4.0GHz it equals 3.8GHz, I missed that, justin is right your running a 21 multiplier.

in short there is nothing to brag about in games as far as oc goes, however in games like crysis its does make some difference.

in everything else you will see a gain in performance from 3.6GH to 4.0GHz.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 7:59pm
As far as other things like boot up, anti virus scanning, video compiling ect, they scale out till they hit a bottle neck, like RAM. So if you keep overclocking to 5.5ghz or beyond, most apps will just keep getting faster, until a different part of your rig slows it down.
But yes, trying to get 200 FPS out of a game instead of 180 FPS does nothing for game play, it is just a person trying to find the limits of their hardware..

BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 10:40pm
Ok, so am I right then in assuming that the 2.66Ghz clock that the chip is saddled with is a QPI, or in the old days FSB of 133Mhz? I'm not assuming, I think I read it somewhere. Is it also not right that the average set of human eyes can't see an FPS past 26 or maybe 30 for the younger folks? What do you get out of a faster frame rate? How much of this speed can be handled in an internet game? When I used to play Descent3 online the ships and missles would actually disappear and re-appear as they moved along, the only accurate way to track someone was sound because it always followed exactly where they are. I know, that has to do with packets and all kinds of other stuff but now that we have HT multi-core, are most of those things handled? What is it in the game Crysis, which is hear has a very disappointing end, that causes it to be such an overall system engine stresser that most games don't have?
  Finally, does the rest of the motherboard get a voltage increase too and an increase in heat because of it or is that the reason behind having QPI now instead of FSB?
  BTW, thanks for all this, this is gold you can't get from a magazine subscription.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 11:43pm
not the 2.66 is the cpu's core speed, the qpi for the 920 is 4.8 GT/s, don't worry too much about qpi, for gaming and such you will not notice any difference between a 975 @ 4.0GHz with 6.4 GT/s qpi vs a 920 @ 4.0GHz with 4.8 GT/s qpi.

you can tell the difference upto 50 to 60 fps, but pass 60 you can't tell the difference anymore, which why we all say for smooth gaming at highest settings with high aa and af you need to enough gpu power to give you 50 to 60 fps.

for most games at 1900 x 1200 its takes 2 x 275 or 1 x 5870, for res under that 1 x 275 or 1 x 5850 will give you 50 to 60 fps.

crysis tho is a different story, it needs more then regular games so for 1900 x 1200 for crysis for example you would be better off with 2 x 5870, but other then crysis for most other games that will give you like over 100 fps which is all a waste.

at 50 to 60 fps, its all smooth game play, you don't see pauses, freeze, stutter, etc, etc, it all smooth.

with on-line games, other things come to play, your Internet speed/ping, distance from the server you are connecting to, that server's specs and Internet speed/ping.

crysis engine and coding is huge, its got over million lines of code, and sh*t load of texture data and shaders, search it and you find lot of info on it.

when ocing lot of things need to be adjusted, some of your mobo's voltages has be adjusted also.

I'm sure justin will fill in anything missed.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Nov 2009 at 11:44pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 11:56pm
Didn't Justin give his machine a blow-job onetime?  I think I read somewhere here that he blew his rig. 

Broken%20Heart
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 8:50am
Originally posted by BriSleep

Ok, so am I right then in assuming that the 2.66Ghz clock that the chip is saddled with is a QPI, or in the old days FSB of 133Mhz? I'm not assuming, I think I read it somewhere. Is it also not right that the average set of human eyes can't see an FPS past 26 or maybe 30 for the younger folks? What do you get out of a faster frame rate? How much of this speed can be handled in an internet game? When I used to play Descent3 online the ships and missles would actually disappear and re-appear as they moved along, the only accurate way to track someone was sound because it always followed exactly where they are. I know, that has to do with packets and all kinds of other stuff but now that we have HT multi-core, are most of those things handled? What is it in the game Crysis, which is hear has a very disappointing end, that causes it to be such an overall system engine stresser that most games don't have?
  Finally, does the rest of the motherboard get a voltage increase too and an increase in heat because of it or is that the reason behind having QPI now instead of FSB?
  BTW, thanks for all this, this is gold you can't get from a magazine subscription.
Ed, I have blown many computers..up.. Ouch

The QPI needs to be twice your RAM speed. so 2,000 Mhz RAM needs a QPI of 4,000 so still a long ways from 4800.
Most of the increased voltage is on the chip, there are several different areas of the chip that get extra voltage to overclock, DS does not raise the voltage on the RAM past 1.65v as far as I know, so not really anywhere else that gets much extra voltage.
Crysis, is a very poorly coded game, that is what makes it so hard to run, Crysis Warhead is slightly better coded, and easier to run, There are several other games out there harder to run, but they are not as popular.

Post Reply Post Reply