Post Date: 2011-10-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DAYDREAMER View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DAYDREAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $4000-4500 gaming rig
    Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 2:16am
Hey all! Thank you pre-emptively for your help.

As stated my budget is $4000-4500. This is for the computer itself, keyboard, mouse, and maybe for a pair of monitors to go with if the money is not better spent on the computer. Hoping you guys can tell me that.

I intend to use it mostly for online gaming, and occasionally for watching movies.

Thanks again for your help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:01am
So you looking into multi monitor? what res are they gonna be and how many, you build the pc to support the res you want to game at.

Quote DAYDREAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:07am
lol the last res i was gaming at was 1024x728, so im a bit unsure what resolution would be satisfactory.

Id like to have 2 monitors so i can multi task.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:10am
Oh ok so even tho you getting 2 monitors you plan on gaming on only one correct? cause that changes everything.

also what is the budget for monitors?

I can tell you the pc will cost around $3000, thats with bd writer.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Oct 2011 at 3:12am

Quote DAYDREAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:20am
My god youre helpful!

Yes, I'd use one monitor for gaming/movies and one for browsing the internet, working and everything else.

If the computer comes to 3000, id be willing to spend 500-1000 on a nice gaming monitor. I actually already have a monitor that will work as my second.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:30am
Problem is that if we spend a $1000 on a monitor that means a 30" ips with 2560 x 1600 res, but to max games out on that monitor we will need more gpu power and thus raise the cost of the pc.

so instead look at this:

Dell UltraSharp U2410M

and to max that :

Here you go Ticket# 607686 --- $3,015 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Quote DAYDREAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:15pm
thanks again!

so i took your build and tweaked it a little to my liking, tell me what you think.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploaddreadnought.asp?id=607806
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:53pm
you have made some very bad changes.

1. ASUS Maximus vs deluxe is pointless, you are not gaining anything.

2. 2000MHz ram vs 1600MHz is pointless, you are not gaining anything.

3. Dual Solid State Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay, double check but the haf x comes with hot swap bays already and I belive they fit ssds.

4. Killer 2100 is a waste of money, you will never see a difference from it.

5. if you want lc go to stage 4, but you don't need it, a70 and noctua do a fantastic job.

6. upgrade fan is a horrible idea:

a. they are 120mm fans and loud

b. they don't replace all your fans

c. they will replace your 200mm fans with 120mm fans.

if you want red fans, ask DS to use below 200mm led fans to replace your 200mm non led fans:

200mm red led fan

7. you got uv tubes but white lighting, uv tubes need uv lighting to glow.

8. Noise Suppression is a waste of money:

a. 95% of your noise comes from gpu's fans when under load, they don't get touched in noise package.

b. they make your current fans go slow, so now you have less airflow.

9. you took the oc too high, at that level you will endup with high vcore that will kill your cpu in one yeare with 24/7 use, nor is stage 3 oc needed to begin with.

10. oc on gpu is very mind and will bring no real performance gain, but will bring noise and heat you don't need.

11. os boost will make zero difference to os/apps/game speeds but if you need one of those services and you don't know which, you will be short.

12. McAfee sucks, get ESET Smart Security, it has a 30 day full free trial, try it first then buy a license after 30 days I love it and highly recommend it.

13. you don't need a surge protector, with a good psu like the 1050hx you get all those protections within the psu:

Guaranteed to sustain its full rated wattage at an ambient temperature of 50°C
Up to 88% energy-efficiency under real-world load conditions
Single +12V rail design providing up to 87.5A
Multi-GPU ready
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) with PF value of 0.99
Supports ATX12V 2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 standards. Backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01
Auto switching circuitry for universal AC input from 90-264V
Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection and Short Circuit Protection provide complete component safety
Dimensions: 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 180mm(L)
MTBF: 100,000 hours
Safety Approvals: UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick

change/remove all of those things I mentioned.

lol you took my $3000 system and made it cost $4400 with no performance gain.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Oct 2011 at 4:54pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 5:21pm
Hi Daydreamer,

Welcome to the forum. I see you are a new member.

Just in case you don't know, DST4ME gave you a really solid build with top performance for a 1080 resolution monitor. I hope you pay close attention to his suggestions. You made some really bad changes that cost more money and could result in premature failure of your system. The HAF-X is a terrific case for air cooling and you don't want to muck it up with insulation and noisy fans.

Building a system is a fun and educational endeavor. I know you are going to enjoy the experience working with this forum and DS.   

Frank

Quote DAYDREAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 6:18pm
"Son, I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed." lol

Alright, first thank you again for your patience. As you may have guessed i deserve the title under my name lol.

alright, trying again. Ill admit that i chose LC mainly for its aesthetics, but if you tell me its superfluous i trust you.

ticket number : 607837

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/loadconfig.asp

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 10:44pm
Ok let me save you sometime, there is no config you can make that will make a difference in performance from mine, all you are doing now is making things worst.

one 590 is a bad idea, quad sli 590 is the worst idea and even with that you still have less vram, long story short, go back to sli 570 2.5GB.

you can go with noctua if you like the difference from a70 is like 2 to 5c at best.

change ssd to intel 320, it has faster speeds were it counts.

once again you took my $3000 system and made it cost $4100 with no noticeable performance gain.

lol instead of making the changes why don't you just ask us first, saves everybody a lot of time

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Oct 2011 at 10:45pm

Quote DAYDREAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 2:47am
607989 ¿
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 2:55am
looks good but you are not gonna need that much ram, its gonna be total waste.
ColtM733 View Drop Down

Quote ColtM733 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 4:18am
If you have money to burn, feel free to send some my way
undeniable View Drop Down

Quote undeniable Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 12:19am
Originally posted by DST4ME

looks good but you are not gonna need that much ram, its gonna be total waste.

I took your build with a big smile DST4ME.  Ordering this week.  Thx for putting it out there!  Only thing I added was a new mouse :)

What do you think of the 6990 (single) vs the SLI 570 ?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 12:24am
the 590/6990 both suck, any card with 2 gpus in it is a bad idea, plus they both get beat by sli/cf 570/6970, so for 6990 I rather get the cf 6970, for 590 I rather get the sli 570.
undeniable View Drop Down

Quote undeniable Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 12:27am
Originally posted by DST4ME

the 590/6990 both suck, any card with 2 gpus in it is a bad idea, plus they both get beat by sli/cf 570/6970, so for 6990 I rather get the cf 6970, for 590 I rather get the sli 570.

cool, just checking.  i saw the sli 580's also do great, but i assume not worth the $$ vs 570s.

Thanks for your knowledge!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 12:32am
For this res, sli 570 is more then you need so as you guessed the $$ is not worth the few extra fps where you are getting more then you need to begin with.
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:47pm
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if that configuration truly satisfies his needs to the fullest, why not opt instead for an ODE Level 3? From briefly glancing over your configuration it seems the only significant difference is a slightly better power supply... but for roughly $700 more I don't think that's exactly justified.
I don't know sh*t about computers. Not. sh*t.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 12:43am
You are missing a lot, my config has bigger case, better mobo/psu/cpu cooler, case, hdd and win7 pro.

Plus in the future if you want to upgrade the sli to future cards and they have needs of a 580 sli the 800w can't do it.

and the 1050hx is way better then the 800w psu not slightly, it better in every way, its more reliable, it has a 7 year warranty, it has a great track recored.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Oct 2011 at 12:45am
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 2:09am
MOBO difference = $15

PSU difference = $100 (Again, the main difference between the two configurations, seeing as how it better "future-proofs" his system, which I completely understand and originally stated)

CPU cooling difference = $???, not much honestly, both are relatively comparable in price and resulting performance, achieving near identical overclocks as per Digital Storm's builds

Case difference = $20

HDD difference = $40

Win 7 pro difference = $75

Total difference = $250, but he'd be paying $700 for it. Personally, I just don't see myself being able to justify that much of a cost difference between the two, especially considering he could just buy an entirely new HX1050 for less than $200 when he deems it time to upgrade his GPUs in the coming years, and still have hundreds of dollars to put towards the purchase of said GPUs. Besides, the 800w can handle 570 SLI which should serve even his most demanding gaming needs, given his desired monitor size. He would likely encounter no issues maxing out Skyrim or Battlefield 3.

As for the minor differences outside of the PSU, there really won't be any significant gains of any kind resulting from your configuration and it's not as though he'll be bottlenecked by any of the slightly lesser components on the ODE Level 3 that wouldn't otherwise create problems in the future on your configuration as well.

Again, just pointing out an alternative.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 3:58am
You lost me there, where are you getting the price differences from? cause I don't see those numbers.

You can't judge the performance of the cpu cooler by digital storm's builds, that says nothing about performance, the a70 is a much better/more reliable cooler, you seem to just throw reliability and track record out the door, yes the 800w can do sli, but I would never recommend it, I like to use parts I know are reliable, the 800w has a 3 year warranty, the 1050hx has a 7 year warranty, it has a much higher rating, its a much better psu.

also he can get a 1050hx for $200 and he also is paying for the 800w, so thats paying for a psu twice, I can't see the sense in that.

also the ode 3 is using a new ds cooler, how could you possibly know what the performance of that cooler is? to know its comparable to the a70?

I would comment more but like I said I'm not sure where those prices are coming from and you are assuming everybody is like me and you and is comfortable or wants to do things like upgrade gpus.

your price differences also don't seem to include installation and testing, and once again you assume since you are comfortable installing all those things everybody else is. If those prices are from newegg, then of course those are cheaper they don't come installed, and whether you think you can do it or not, it does not matter, cause if you are comparing prices to prices here, you have to include labor/testing/warranty that DS puts on the system, otherwise its not a fair comparison, lets not forget doa/ram and the amount of time it takes to do all of that, when you get a gpu from newegg and it goes bad, you have to ram to manufacturer wait 3 weeks and get a new one, with DS you get a new part as fast as you like it if you are willing to pay the shipping for it, there is no wait for rma approval and etc like that.

while I understand you can't see yourself spending money on certain things cause you could just do it yourself, you have to keep in mind everybody else is not like that.

and last I like to say if you think that the ode 3 and my config are just as reliable/easy to work with in case of trouble for a first timer, then you are seriously mistaken, plus I like the haf x much better, I mean my config is a much better system, now is it $700 better, that depends on the user, and if they are willing to do the adding/upgrading themselves, which most times people here rather not do, people at the lower price range normally are willing to do that cause they are on a budget, and for those people I always recommend the ode builds, but most people here that have a $3000 or higher budget would just want something they don't have to mess with. Also most people don't want to change their system's case for example. At the end of the say people that want a system with hafx, a70/noctua, win7 pro, and etc and want DS to build it, will have to pay what DS asks, for those that don't want to do that, they can get a bare system and add stuff themselves.

I mean if we gonna think about it from that angle then why even bother getting a build here, its easy to build a pc, he should just do it himself, and save all kinds of money.

I can't even get people here to install their own ssd, you wanna tell them to upgrade their own psu and etc?

Listen I see/get your point but the problem is that most people here don't want to touch their pc, I can't even get most to add a ssd later, so yes if the person was willing to do upgrades then perhaps they could do some stuff themselves but again, I don't understand where your prices came from, I mean when you say:

"hdd difference = $40"

where did that price come from?

difference from what?

You have some points but at the end of the day, I'm not making a config for me or you, I'm making a config for a new person, who most likely does not want to touch their pc if possible.

for example the OP is not trying to spend $4000 here just so you can upgrade stuff later himself, if you don't believe me ask him yourself.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Oct 2011 at 4:37am
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 1:28pm
Prices from Amazon as follows (at time of writing):

MOBO Comparison --- Difference is $15.

http://www.amazon.com/P8P67-DELUXE-REV-3-0-Motherboard/dp/B004QF0VDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319560614&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/SABERTOOTH-P67-REV-3-0-Motherboard/dp/B004K330KK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319560832&sr=1-1

PSU Comparison --- Difference is $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Certified-1050-Watt-Compatible/dp/B00539M4M0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319560965&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-800-Watt-Certified-Compatible-Platforms/dp/B004H1XXGQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319560911&sr=1-1

CPU Cooling Comparison --- Difficult, as I had stated considering the one is unique to DS and thus hard to price accurately. If I'm being honest, I'd wager that the liquid cooling solution is actually superior to the air cooling in your configuration, seeing as how it will likely run more quietly (he did originally state something regarding noise insulation, so I assume noise is a concern).

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Air-Performance-Cooler-CAFA70/dp/B003IT6RE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319561208&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Corsair+A70&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corsair+liquid+cooling&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acorsair+liquid+cooling

As can be seen, every Corsair liquid cooling solution is more expensive than the A70, with fantastic satisfaction rates.

Case Comparison --- $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SuperSpeed-Interior-RC-942-KKN1/dp/B003S68Q0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319561466&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC600TWM-WHT-Special-Graphite-Computer/dp/B004O0PAKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319561533&sr=1-1

You (or him, since it's to be HIS new system) can run the other comparisons on the site, since I'm tired of posting the links. However, you get the picture, and if I wanted to nitpick I could probably hunt down some of the components for slightly cheaper on different sites... I just went to Amazon real quick to save time and illustrate my point.

Now, to address your other points:

Yes, the 800w is inferior. I fully understand that, and have stated as such in both of my previous posts. However, unless he plans to upgrade his GPUs very soon after buying, I don't understand why he needs the 1050HX RIGHT NOW. As you said, the 800w has 3 guaranteed years in it, and by that time he'll probably want to upgrade anyway. Paying for two PSUs doesn't matter when he's still saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars even after buying the 1050HX. Also, your point about upgrading GPUs is strange to me seeing as how the reason you told him to get the 1050HX in the first place was so that he COULD upgrade his GPUs down the line.

It's not like I'm telling him to build a computer from a shell, in fact I'm recommending he do NOTHING until he desires to update his GPUs, at which point he'll have saved the money to buy a better PSU and have a considerable amount ($500) to apply towards purchasing his new cards. And if he is uncomfortable doing it himself, the DS team has the same warranty and upgrade policies for both the ODE Level 3 and your configuration, so support is no better on the much more pricey build.

Long story short, I'm not suggesting he spend $4,000 just so he can upgrade things later himself, I'm suggesting he spend $2,350 and not touch it until he wants to upgrade his GPUs a couple of years from now, at which point he would have to do the same on your configuration (both are identical, 570 SLI).

Oh, and as a side note, the ODE Level 3 is such a sick deal that even if you built your own system from the ground up buy purchasing individual components, you'd come out at roughly $150 less than DS in total, but with no product service and having to make sure each part works properly and installing everything yourself, so if you don't need to support super high resolution displays, I'd suggest buying the ODE even if you do know how to build your own computer. It's really that much of a bargain.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 1:42pm
Ok I'm not gonna hijack this thread but I will say this.

I'm a fan of do it once and do it right, no reason to pay for 800w now and then pay for 1050hx later, few years ago a 750w would give us dual sli 285 now you can't do that with sli 580, so odds are very likely future upgrades best bet to have all options open is 1050hx.

second prices from amazon have got nothing to do with prices here, as I mentioned they don't include install. testing and not having to deal with doa/rma.

last again some users don't want touch their pc period, and you will never get me to pay for something twice.

changing psu is not the same as upgrading gpus, so he does not have to do the same as my pc and with that 800w psu I'm willing to bet he is gonna endup changing it before he needs a upgrade anyways cause I would bet that that psu will have a problem at some point.

You are also contradicting yourself.

on one had you suggest he get parts from amazon, then you turn around and say why he should get parts from DS due to testing/rma/doa/stability. If it applies to one side it has to apply to the other IMHO.

We have given our views to the OP, I wish to no longer hijack OP thread on this.

you have your views I have mine, the OP can decide what he wants, as for me I can't say I agree with everything you are saying.

OH and I can bet ode prices if I build myself and by more then 150.

If I were building a pc, I would not use lot of parts in ode, due to performance/quality IMHO.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Oct 2011 at 1:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply