FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

500GB Samsung 850 EVO no longer available

Post Date: 2018-02-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Imperius47 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperius47 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO no longer available
    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:02pm
I was disappointed when tweaking my build early this weak to find that the 500GB Samsung 850 EVO isn't available any longer. I feel like this is a massive goof on DS's part. It is one of the most poplular, if not THE most popular SSD ever. I emailed them, and they said that it may or may not come back and that there is no ETA on a replacement. I was hoping they would have the new 860 version up within the last few days to replace it but, alas, it is not so.

That having been said, my question is whether I should wait and see if they repost it or possibly the new 860, or if I should go with the 500GB M.2 SATA drive instead. According to the configurator, it would be a WD Blue model, which is well reviewed. Does anybody have any experience with the WD Blue M.2 drives? The prices are nearly the same, and so is the performance. However, I really hate to settle, but I realize that I could be waiting forever, so I may have to.

Also, getting one of the bigger EVO drives available is out of the the question. They are way too expensive for my budget.

Here's a link to my build just in case: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1836484

Edited by Imperius47 - 01 Feb 2018 at 1:12pm
blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 4:13pm
Went through the same inventory issues at work since my IT department use Samsung SSD drives for laptop, desktop, and server builds. The 850 series was recently retired and replaced with the 860. DS more likely is out of stock of the old inventory. Give them some time to receive the new stock. This was Samsung cutting old inventory before getting new inventory out the door. This is outside of DS control.

I would wait for the 860 to arrive. It shouldn't take too long within a week or two. Most vendors retail and online is still waiting for 860 shipments.

Personally, I only used Samsung 850 drives as data. I prefer my OS and apps on Samsung 960 M2 drives. The speed difference from an M2 to an SSD is big on just the OS alone.

Edited by blackcatfoe - 01 Feb 2018 at 4:25pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:58am
Well first comparing m.2 with sata(850) is apples and oranges.

Also i recommend going with the pro version, for better reliability and warranty.

Samsung is king in ssd right now and i would stick with them, if wd blue m.2 is anything like blue hdd, i would stay away from it anyway.

My advice to you for best chance at least headache is to go 850 pro or 960 pro just keep in mind as mentioned 860 should be out soon so if you are going 850, wait for 860 to come out, that is probably why DS is out of stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply