FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5760x1200 gaming build

Post Date: 2012-02-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rottenflesh View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rottenflesh Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 5760x1200 gaming build
    Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 6:15am
I have no set "min/max" budget, But I don't need to spend 10 grand Confused I can live without playing on MAX settings just want to be at or above 60FPS in most games. Can you give a noob a hand on a build?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 6:31am
Hi Rottenflesh....What size monitor and resolution you want to play with?

In general, 23" monitor at 1920x1080 on High settings would be a P67 platform with single gpu. like gtx 570  About $2000

The same as above with Maxed out settings would be a sli gpu  2 gtx570...Under $3000

A 30" at 2560x1600 would be a X79 platform with cf 7979 or tri-sli 570"s..  $4000

That's very general and no SSD, stage 4 lc, etc.

The ODE line-up is also worth a look to save $$$, but in some cases the parts aren't as recommended as custom config.

Ooops    I didn't catch the Post TitleCry  I'm not sure off hand of that res.  Not up on multi-monitor setups.  Maybe others can chime in but I'll do some looking..Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Feb 2012 at 6:36am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:01am
Take a look at this..

You're basically running 1920x1200 x3 monitors so need a card for each screen, so to speakBig%20Smile.

New nVidia gpu's in April is another thought.

Config...653941   Cost $4064

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache) (Model: ST500DM002)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA 025-P3-1579-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

It's the X79 platform for true tri-sli setup.

The 1200W psu for 3 gpu

I threw in the SSD, but up to you,  Actually meant to put in the series 320 SSDCry  Easy change

I put in the H100 cooler instead of A70 or D14 air coolers because DS will tell you no stage 2 oc with air coolers.  The 3 gpu kick up too much heat.

Something to look at and others might agree or not.

Also the ODE 4 with cf 7970 for $500 less might also do ti, but not sure.

7970 are brand new and might be an option if 570's with new nVidia release become scarce in the coming months if needed to replace.  Not sure.  All speculation.  Or wait for new nVidia like I said on top.

Good LuckBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Feb 2012 at 7:06am
Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 9:14am
If your looking at building a rig like this and for this cost, I STRONGLY suggest you wait until April for the release of the new NVidia 6 series.

Edited by Sgt.Moore - 11 Feb 2012 at 10:22am
"RLTW"
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Sgt.Moore

If your looking at building a rig like this and for this cost, I STRONGLY suggest you wait until April for the release of the new NVidia 6 series.
http://http.download.nvidia.com/ndemand/product_overview/PO_GeForce_6_series_24.pdf

That's the wrong 6 series Big%20Smile

My 6800 Ultra was a beast though.
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:12am
Actually there has been talk lately that the 600 series nameplate is being skipped and Nvidia will be going straight to the 700 series. That is backed up by some supposedly leaked comparison charts comparing the 500 to the 700 series.

All indications though still point to the new cards having some serious power and should make the ATI 7000 series look like a joke. There has been no official confirmation from Nvidia on these charts and numbers but at the same time Nvidia refuses to say they are not true. When a company refuses to deny something is real it's almost always a back handed way of saying "yes it's true). Regardless of what they call it, 600 or 700, it's still the same planed Kepler chips intended to replace the 500 series.

If the comparison charts do hold true the 700 series will be the first set of cards on the market that will be able to handle current high quality games at such high resolutions as 2500x1600 with just a single card.

Following the link below you'll see the 770 achieves above 60fps in BF3 @ 2500x1600 resolution with ultra graphics settings. That's something no other single card, including the 7970, has been able to achieve.

Chart

Article about release

Back on topic, for such a high resolution, multi monitor set up, it's probably worth it to wait for the new Nvidia cards.

Edited by jmaster299 - 11 Feb 2012 at 10:13am

Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:21am
Opps my bad mislinked haha, Jmaster one of my friends at work was telling me about them skipping the 6 series but no matter where I look I seem to be unable to find a definite answer Upset Reguardless if those charts hold any truth than boy are these new series just gonna dominate the market, astounding performance !!!

Edited by Sgt.Moore - 11 Feb 2012 at 10:28am
"RLTW"
Rottenflesh View Drop Down

Quote Rottenflesh Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 5:44pm
Thanks guys for the info, will keep it in mind while I make up my mind.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 2:49pm
I see that GPUReview has a leaked chart of specifications with the GTX 6xx series cards. So what leaked info can we believe before April? Probably none.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 2:55pm
April might be optimistic.   I've read 2nd half of 2012 for new gpu if they skip 6xxx series. WHO KNOWS!!

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 3:24pm
It sucks the Nvidia is being so tight lipped about this whole thing. The impression I am getting is the delay is a good thing for all of us and not a negative. No one wants to see something delayed but from what I can tell it's a delay that should be worth it.

One thing for certain is Nvidia is on track to continue to dominate the market. ATI really had a golden opportunity here getting their cards on the market first but the performance gains are laughable. The 7000 series aren't bad they are just too little of an improvement to justify their cost.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 3:53pm
I think the 7970 is a decent card, maybe the cf7970 even better than tri-sli 570 but the new nVidia cards will change this whole configure thing. The ODE 4 with cf7970 is agreat buy but that will soon change. Time will tell

Edited by bprat22 - 12 Feb 2012 at 3:55pm

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 4:08pm
x2 cf7970 does not beat x3 SLI 570, not even close to beating it. I've linked reviews and benchmarks for it in all sorts of posts here and don't feel like linking them again. Feel free to search my posts or look the benchmarks up.

The stock 7970 barely beats the stock 580, by less then 10fps and in some games by less then 5fps, but it does that with twice as much RAM as the 580. The performance gain just does not exists as a 5-10fps gain will make no difference.

It's also why the 570 2.5GB is so widely recommended as you get the extra RAM to help out and bring it's numbers up that even the 580 is not recommended most of the time. The 7970 is not bad but it's not an actual upgrade yet it costs way too much money.

For 7970 to be worth it's cost it would need to be able to use just one card where you previously had to use two. Example would be if the 7970 could handle a particular game on just one card at a certain resolution and graphics setting that would normally require x2 570 2.5GB cards. But in any game that requires x2 570's still requires x2 7970's.

If these rumors turn out to be true that's exactly what the new Nvidia cards will be able to due. Provide playable frame rates on a single card when the previous generation required two cards.

So for that extra $150 you spend, for each card, you get absolutely nothing for it. You will in no way benefit from those few extra FPS that you spend hundreds of dollars for.

When you start getting into super high resolutions like the OP were every single fps matters then you can start looking at other cards but the 580 3GB will match the 7970 in performance as it's that extra RAM that matters at the big resolutions and will save you a few bucks.

Edited by jmaster299 - 12 Feb 2012 at 4:10pm

Sanguineraven View Drop Down

Quote Sanguineraven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 12:22pm
Honestly, I believe that playing the "watiing game" as some call is is never worth it. Just buy what is the present best unless something is coming out literally in a couple weeks and confirmed, and don't look back! That was my strategy for a build almost exactly like yours I just ordered anyway. It doesn't seem worth the stress of wondering when new cars will come out and their cost/performance to me. The triple 570s will do a great job
 Post Reply Post Reply