Post Date: 2020-09-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Top Sauce View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Top Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $6.5K Streaming Build
    Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 4:22am
Hey, I was wondering if somebody could rate my build and answer a few questions for me. (Questions at bottom) Budget is $6,500 firm.

I will be using this PC for pretty much everything from photo and video editing, to music recording, to recording/rendering/streaming gameplay. The most demanding game I play is probably flight simulator 2020.

My resolution does go up to 8k 16x9, however I only really use that for photo editing and movie watching. I would like to be able to record and stream most games at 1440p max settings; although I would like to be able to push it to 4K in some situations when possible.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 Ghz <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z490-P / MSI Z490-A Pro (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (8TB Sabrent Rocket Q) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Founders Edition) (VR Ready) (ETA MID-OCTOBER) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback) <br><strong></strong>
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Black - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Questions:

1. Should I switch to AMD Ryzen 9 3950X? I’m not particularly attached to Intel or AMD, but all I hear now is that Intel is completely obsolete. However, I do like the 5.3 GHz on the i9-10900K. Is switching worth it?

2. Should I upgrade the motherboard? I admittedly don’t know much about motherboards and I have always gone with the default one. Will this hurt my build in any way? Again my budget is $6,500.

3. What storage configuration should I go for? My three options are either:
1x 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q
2x 4TB Sabrent Rocket Q4
3x 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520
I want to get as much SSD storage as I can. I not sure if it is better to have one large SSD or multiple smaller ones. To put things in perspective just my Skyrim instillation is nearly 200GBs (yes, I love to mod the crap out of that game lol).

4. Should I overclock my video card? I’ve heard mixed reviews on overclocking video cards. Some people say it is great, and others say it will massively decrease the lifespan of the card. Do people think it is worth it? I plan on keeping the card for 3 to 5 years depending on what comes out.

5. I’m still not 100% set on which tower I want. I really like the aesthetics of the lumos, but I wonder if downgrading to that will hinder my build.

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 5:47am
Without your config # or what your build costs, I can't well deconstruct what you've done. I'm a gamer, but I do possess some knowledge of what you might want to consider for your purposes.

First and formost, Intel is NOT obsolete. However, they are not your best choice IMO. Everything you do except gaming cries out for more cores, cores, cores. So, if it's in the budget, the 3950X is definitely the way to go. I'd pair that with the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon for a stronger board all-around and the wi-fi, but with my suggestions, I think there is money to go higher. The "default" boards are rudimentary, and are not for high-end computing like you propose. With that CPU and your video card combo, you would never know you didn't have a faster Intel Gaming CPU, but you would do EVERYTHING else much faster and more efficiently.

Then we're fine until we come to storage which is waaay over the top IMHO. You don't need to have all NVMe storage. I recommend a small Firecuda, the 500GB or the 1TB for your primary OS, apps, and maintenance software so that your systems scans will perform efficiently. Then you might consider the 2TB Firecuda NVMe to use with your productivity apps so you can work with massive files if needed. To store your games and data, a SATA SSD like the 4TB 860 EVO or PRO will last a very long time before near full and be plenty fast enough to load from. With two M.2s, you will have plenty of room for more storage when you need it. You won't overpay, and you may get advanced tech down the road. You want to keep in mind you pay a premium for everything you buy here. The short answer to one large or multiple small is easy. If large, you lose everything if it fails.

These video cards need no overclocking.

The Lumos is a great chassis with great airflow and will not gimp a build in any way

My 2 cents.
Top Sauce View Drop Down

Quote Top Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 6:14am
Sorry about that, I swear I had included that info...
Config code: 3392325
Price: $6,350
 Post Reply Post Reply