790i stability and overclocking guide

Post Date: 2008-08-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 790i stability and overclocking guide
    Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 1:29pm
Stolen from: Delirious.  Über Elite FTW Member at

This guide is to first start with a stabile 790i and then to proceed on to some overclocked settings.  The 790i is an enthusiast board and has posed a challenge to many who have used it.  I want to start off looking at hardware compatability.  The problem many have been having with the board is the memory compatability.  I started a post with the memory you should use with suggested timings and voltages. 

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=491730&mpage=1&key=&#491730

This guide isn’t intended to help you build your computer.  You should know that already if you are buying this board.  I will focus on some starting settings and then proceed to a basic guide to overclocking.
The first thing to do is to install the latest bios to your board.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=435247&mpage=1&key=&#435247

There a number of ways listed there.  My favorite is to use the floppy method.  Install AWDflash on a floppy disk and the bin file of the bios.  Boot in to the A drive and type at the A prompt  a:/awdflash.exe *.bin  /f.   * is the bios name.  This will force a new bios install.  Once the bios has been updated, restart and proceed into the bios. 

Menus
The first menu you will see is the main menus where you can either select to use a floppy or disable.  I would disable if you do not have one installed.  Otherwise you will have to press F1 every time your reboot.

Advanced chipset features
System voltages- Use auto settings for a stock board.  The only value you want to enter at this point is your memory voltage.  Consult your manufacturer recommended settings and know the max value you can use.  Enter the memory voltage.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0a103d3dca.jpg

CPU Core: [auto]
CPU FSB: [auto]
Memory: *
nForce SPP: [auto] * note - I was able to duplicate freezing in games at 1.35v but not at 1.4v. Increase demand like multiple video cards and high bandwidth memory may necessitate increasing this value.
nForce MCP: [auto]
GTLVREF Lane 0: [Auto] 
GTLVREF Lane 1: [Auto]
GTLVREF Lane 2: [Auto] 
GTLVREF Lane 3: [Auto] 

System Clocks menu.  You will only want to make sure your multiplier is entered here.  Also disable all spread spectrums.  Spread spectrums are techniques and methods by which energy generated in a particular bandwidith is deliberately spread in the frequency domain, resulting in a signal with a wider bandwidth. These techniques are used for a variety of reasons, including the establishment of secure communications, increasing resistance to natural interference and jamming, and to prevent detection.  These are not needed.

**System **
CPU Freq, MHz: * GHZ
FSB Reference Clock, MHz: ****
CPU Multiplier: [*X]
PCle x16-1 & 16-2, MHz:  [100]
PCle x16-3, MHz:  [100]
SPPc->MCP Ref Clock, MHz:  [200]
nForce SPP --> nForce MCP:   [5X]
nForce SPP c-- nForce MCP:   [5X]

**Spread Spectrum**
CPU Spread Spectrum: [Disabled]
HT Spread Spectrum: [Disabled]
PCle Spread Spectrurn(SPP): [Disabled]
PCle Spread Spectrurn(MCP): [Disabled]
SATA Spread Spectrum: [Disabled]

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/722e38e301.jpg

FSB and memory Configuration – unlink the memory.  I always want you to unlink your memory both in stock settings and with overclocks.  I will address linking and syncing later when we are overclocking.  Unlinking the memory allows the memory to run it its rated speed and timings.  Enter your memory speed here.  P1 and P2 settings need to be on auto to start with.  In overclocking,  you will want to enable these for memory speeds of 1600 and above.  But for now, leave them on auto.  Auto gives stability while enabled give you an increase in speed.

**FSB & Memorv Config**
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: [unlinked]
FSB - Memory Ratio:
FSB (QDR), MHz: [auto]
Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: ****
x MEM (DDR),  MHz: ****
Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: 
P1: [AUTO]
P2: [AUTO]

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4780ef4696.jpg

Memory Timings-  Here is where you want to manually enter your timings that you received from your manufacturer.  One note is 1t Vs. 2t.  Set the value to 2t.  This is the most stabile configuration and should be used initially.  I will address 1t later but essentially the 1t/2t is the time needed between the chip select signal and when commands can be issued to the RAM.  1t is faster, however, your memory may not tolerate such a fast rate and 2t is slower and is more stabile.  The asterisk areas are your RAM timings as specified by the manufacturer.  Normal RAM timings today for DDR3 are 7-7-7-21, 8-8-8-24, 9-9-9-28.  These are base timings but yours may be either tighter or looser or a combination.
Example:  7-7-7-21  =  tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS

**Memory Timing Setting**
Memory Timing Setting: [Expert]
tCL (CAS Latency):  *
tRCD: *
tRP:  *
tRAS: *
Command Per Clock: [2T]

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b10ad826fc.jpg

** Advanced Memory Settings **
tRRD: [Auto]
tRC: [Auto]
tWR: [Auto]
tWTR: [Auto]
tFAW: [Auto]
tREF: [Auto]

CPU configuration menu-  These settings are critical to both stock and overclocking stability. Intel speed step- allows the clock speed of the processor to be dynamically changed by software. You don’t want this to change.

CPU thermal control – Allows for clock modulation when the CPU gets too hot and slows clock rate on your CPU.  Set to disable.  You don’t want your CPU to downclock as the result of increased heat.  Monitor your temps at all times with programs like everest and real temp.

Virtualization technology – utilized by software programs that use virtual computer programs.  Disable to free up resources for oveclocking.

Execute disable bit - Malicious buffer overflow attacks pose a significant security threat to businesses, increasing IT resource demands, and in some cases destroying digital assets. In a typical attack, a malicious worm creates a flood of code that overwhelms the processor, allowing the worm to propagate itself to the network, and to other computers. These attacks cost businesses precious productivity time, which can equal significant financial loss. It’s ok to leave enabled, I disable to free up resources.

C1E Halt state - The Enhanced Halt State  does two things: it reduces the clock speed of the CPU by decreasing the clock multiplier down to its minimum value then reducing the voltage. The clock speed is reduced and then the voltage is dropped, to maintain stability. Disable this. You don’t want anything affecting your settings.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4e3c723a70.jpg

**CPU Configuration**
Limit CPUlD Maxval: Disabled
Intel Speedstep: Disabled
xPPM Mode: [Native]
CPU Thermal Control: [Disabled]
C1E Enhanced Halt State: [Disabled]
Execute Disable Bit: [Enabled or Disabled]
Virtualization Technology: [Disabled]
CPU Core 0: [Enabled]
CPU Core 1: [Enabled]
CPU Core 2: [Enabled]
CPU Core 3: [Enabled]

Now that you have set all your settings in the bios, you are ready for a stock system.  But first, let’s test those settings to see if your memory is stabile.  Memory will need to be placed in the black slots first and if you have more dims, hold off on using them.  To test the memory, place the first dimm to be tested in the dimm slot closest to the CPU and run 2 passes with memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/download/2.01/memtest86+-2.01.iso.zip

Download this and burn to CD and use it to boot.  Make sure that you have the CDROM enabled in the bios to allow for the CDROM as the first boot device and hardrive as the second.  Run two passes with the dimm.  You should return no errors in two passes.  Remove the dimm and repeat with the second dimm in the first slot. Errors indicate either bad memory, not enough voltage, frequency too high, or timings set too tight or using 1t command rate.

When both dimms have returned no errors, place both of them in the black slots. Remove the CD and reboot into the OS
Now you are ready to start the OS.  Boot into the OS and stability test your system.  My favorite test is OCCT and superpi.  Run run the OCCT one hour test and it should return no errors.  If you do have errors, manually enter a CPU voltage higher than what your AUTO value gives you and repeat.  Continue until the program passes the hour.  I also use Superpi and enter 32 mb calculations to test the memory.  That typically takes 13-14 minutes.

OCCT -
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
EVEREST - http://www.savefile.com/files/1585312
Superpi - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

About temperatures.  Dynamic fan controll should be set to 100% for overclocking. 

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/536e0b9a15.jpg

Monitor your CPU core temps using everest.  You will need to go into preferences and hardware monitoring settings and enter 95C TJMAX for 45 nm quad cpus.  All else leave at 105C.  Don’t rely on the temperatures on OCCT since there is not a way to alter TJMAX.

You will also need to monitor MCP and SPP temps on the board.  They should be around 45-55 degrees under stock settings depending on ambient temperatures in your environment.  If these temps are higher, then consider that the heatsink was not properly installed at the factory and excessive temperatures of the MCP and SPP will cause instability.  Over volting MCP and SPP can elevate the temps.

You should be stabile at stock settings.  One note in initial installation of an OS, is that you will need to start with 2gb for Vista 32 and 2gb for Vista 64 until you have installed your service pack 1.  I have tested Vista 32 and Vista 64 with 2X2 gb ( = 4 gb) in the black slots with SP1 preinstalled/integrated on the CD and had no problems with initial installation.  Make sure you have SP1 integrated though.

On to overclocking…..
Overclocking has three components.  You can achieve overclocks by manipulating the CPU, the motherboard and the memory.  Mother board and CPU settings are integrated to achieve overall increase in CPU speed. 

For now, your memory has been unlinked and sits pretty unaffected by changes in FSB.  Many people like the sound of link and sync and go about overclocking right away with doing this.  The memory can limit your CPU overclock when it reaches it’s max OC potential.  This is because you are not changing the timings and voltages of the memory with the increase of the memory bus.  It’s best to leave this unlinked so that the memory is a stabile component of the overclock.

Now that your system is stabile at stock settings, write everything down or save the settings to profile 1 in the bios.  You are now ready to test overclocks.  Overclocks with non QX CPUs will only be accomplished by increasing the FSB.  You can also lower your CPU multiplier and increase your FSB really high if you need to.  I would recommend starting with a mild overclock from your stock settings.  Say for instance that your auto setting (native CPU speed) for FSB (front side bus) is 1333 mhz.  You can go for 1400 mhz. FSB as a mild overclock.  At this point, you will need to take your CPU voltage off of auto settings and increase the value by small increments to see if you can get into the OS. 

Once you have gotten into the OS, then repeat the OCCT stability test. Failure of the test will need more CPU voltage.  If you have passed the hour test, you can either try to go on to higher FSB settings and higher overclocks or allow time at that oveclock by using the OS for a few days and testing it in games. 

So far, your MCP, SPP and front side bus voltages (VTT) are on auto.  It’s ok to keep them on auto as the 790i does a great job of selecting those voltages for you.  Higher overclocks may necessitate taking the settings off of auto and going up in voltage. I would really wait on touching these voltages because I have been able to oveclock my QX9770 to 4.5 ghz on auto settings. They have stayed in the green areas too!  Make sure you monitor the auto settings and the board doesn’t let them get too high.  Most of the time, they will stay in the green voltage areas.  As time goes on and you have tested your overclock for a few weeks and like the stability, then you can ease them off auto settings and lower them some.  Do so one at a time.  Take the MCP down one voltage and see how the OS performs for a few weeks.  Then try the SPP.

One note.  Intel cpus should not have the VTT (front side bus) voltage above 1.4 volts for 45 nm cpus.  Typically 45 nm cpus  will choose 1.1 to 1.3 VTT voltages.  65 nm will choose 1.3 to 1.4.  Increasing FSB voltages above 1.4 for 45 nm cpus can destroy your CPU.

Overclocked CPUs should maintain load temperatures below 70C.  Intel will say much less but they don’t want you overclocking anyway.

Very high overclocks will not be addressed in this guide and will need to be addressed by posting a specific problem in the form of a separate post.  Very high overclocks will push your CPU to it’s limits and there are special voltage modifications to the FSB if taken real high and stability of the CPU can also be addressed at high FSB settings by modifying the GTLREVF values.  A good place to learn about those is here.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=476249&mpage=1&key=&#476249

Linking and syncing the memory.
So far, your memory has been working at stock settings and hopefully has not affected the CPU overclock at stock settings.  You have the potential to overclock your memory by manually entering higher memory bus speeds.  If you started with memory setting of for an example 1600, then move the speed manually to 1700.  I keep my memory on the max specified voltage as specified by the manufacturer.  Increase in memory bus will cause instability if you don’t loosen the timings of the memory.  Example:  if you started at memory bus speed of 1600 and timings of 7-7-7-21 and move the bus speed to 1700, be prepared in increase the numbers to 8-8-8-24.  For the timings of various memory speeds, you will have to do a little research. 

Also try 1t settings and test stability using the memtest utility and then running superpi 32 mb calculations in Vista.

Once you have found your stabile overclock on your CPU, note the FSB speed you are using.  How close is it to the memory overclock you are using?  If you are using a CPU overclock of 1600 and your memory is running at 1600 and you are unlinked, then go ahead and link and sync it to 1:1.  If you are running your FSB at 1800 and your memory at 1600, then link the memory and adjust the ratio so that you get close to your ideal memory speed.  The bios will tell you those values when using ratios other than 1:1.

I have made this to clear up how to get stock setting stability and how to do some basic overclocking.  I don’t warranty any of this information and some may be subject to change if I need to. Make written records of what you do in case of a loss of your overclocked settings.

Comments are welcome, but I will not troubleshoot your issues in this thread.   Please post your own thread with the problems you are having.

Edited by Kelly - 20 Aug 2008 at 1:31pm
Kelly View Drop Down

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 4:54pm

oh hey.. I forgot to tell you... I recalled your pc back to the shop today. 

So when it gets here, I am going to RUN IT OVER IN MY CHEVY and then send it back to you sealed with a chevy emblem.  ;)
Kelly View Drop Down

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 5:14pm
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 5:26pm

This was needed the 790i is a tricky beast.

E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
aperrigo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aperrigo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 6:01pm

Finally, I can relax about overclocking my 790i. Thanks Kelly Enjoy the pic.
 Post Reply Post Reply