Post Date: 2021-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jacksom View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jacksom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 8 years of Dreadnought
    Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:58am
I have had my dreadnought for just about 8 years now. I have upgraded the RAM(to 16G) and GPU(to a 970), and replaced the OS drive just last month, but that's it.

It still plays my games like a champ -- I don't do any new FPS games, since the last 5 or so years have seen me get motion sickness from them(but not older ones https://snaptube.cam/).

However, I am seeing some signs that components are starting to have some issues. Weird graphic effects after locking the machine overnight, etc.

I use my rig for gaming, music arrangements, and sandboxing VMs for development and experimentation. I dual boot between Win 7 and Sparkylinux.

I'm considering a replacement in a couple months. With Win 7 going away, I'll roll Sparky only -- I have no interest in Win 10 at all.

I dearly love the expandability of the Dreadnought case. I'm wondering if I can get a new rig to fill the same role out of the gaming selections, or if I need to jump to the workstation category. Alternately, I might just get a focused gaming rig and upgrade it piecemeal like I had with the Dreadnought.

Edited by Jacksom - 17 Nov 2021 at 4:44am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 4:14am
I don't know the dimensions of a Dreadnaught. I assume it's a full tower. The selection these days here is dominated by mid-towers, but the Velox is quite roomy at 19.5"x 22.2"x 9.25". The alternative choice you have is the monstrous Aventum (26x28x10), which not only costs something like $400 more just for the case, but also weighs in at 100 pounds+ when loaded out. The workstation builds offer the same cases. In the pre-covid times, you could order any case you wanted sent to DS and built into for a fee. IDK if they still abide by that. Ask.

Be advised that currently some of the gaming CPUs available can easily hold their own with some of the workstation procs. Those are a poor choice for gaming.

If you get the case issue resolved, and you want advice on a build, it would help if you have a budget and a monitor resolution you intend to use. in the meantime, some of your weirdness might be helped if you cease using sleep/hibernate modes. It could help.

Win 10 is no longer here, it's Win 11 now.   
 Post Reply Post Reply