850 si case

Post Date: 2008-09-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skywalker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 850 si case
    Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:11pm
could anyone tell me about this case is it coolermaster stacker 830?
and whzt version of this the the 850 case? is this a good case for stage 3 cooling? thanks
Lawdog View Drop Down

Quote Lawdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:27pm
The 850Si is one of their best cases for air cooling and works well with Stage 3.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 2:15pm
go with the HAF, its a better case and you can just go with stage 2 cooling case the HAF is already at stage 3 stock
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 8:01pm

The 850i offers the largest interiors of any case DSO offers which translates into outstanding air cooling potential, as well as the best overall potential for future upgrade. The case is also an open air design which further extends it's performance. Combine this with the materials that are  used- solid aluminum, and you further enhance the case's ability to cool internals.  Factor in stage 3 cooling and the 850i becomes the single most efficient air cooling case DSO offers. The only area where it may fall behind the HAF aside from price would be in sound levels, but DSO has a resistor kit to slow down the stage 3 fans if low sound is a priority.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 8:05pm
I would take/recommend an HAF stage 2 cooling against the 850 with Stage 3 cooling anyday.

850 is not the biggest case we have as far as I know. Even if you call ds they will tell you that the 950 is bigger then the 850 with more room, its not even comparable to HAF.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 8:34pm

Rather than ask anyone to take my word for it, here is what the manufacturers of the cases in question offer in terms of specifications:

Originally posted by Coolermaster.com

Model RC-830
Available Color Black
Dimension 9.84in (W) x 21.10in (H) x 25.11in (D)
M/B Type E-ATX, ATX, m-ATX, BTX, m-BTX, PICO-BTX
Material Aluminum
3.5" Drive Bay 4 (Hidden) from 1 x 4-in-3 Device Module included; 1 x 3.5
5.25" Drive Bay 9 (Exposed)
BTX Upgrade Kits SRM, BTX Air Duct, and BTX I/O shield included
Cooling System Up to 9 x 120mm fans (optional) ; Front x 3,Top x 1, Rear x 1, Side x 4 (side fan bracket is also for 140mm x 4 or 120mm x 4 or 92mm x 4 or 80mm x 4 or 60mm x 4, or 300mm Cross Flow Fan x1 or MIX)
Expansion Slots 7
I/O Panel Dual I/O Panel in the front and top USB 2.0 x 4, IEEE 1394 x 1, MIC x 1, SPK x 1
Power Supply Standard ATX PS2 / EPS 12V (optional)
UPC Code RC-830-SSN2-GP (Silver) - 836837008342
RC-830-KKN2-GP (Black) - 870423002475
Other **Cross Flow Fan will NOT work with the Nvidia 8800 Series or the ATI R600 Cards**
**Cross Flow Fan will NOT work with any video Cards longer than 12
Warranty 2 years
Originally posted by Coolermaster.com

Model
RC-932-KKN1-GP
Available Color Black
Dimension (W / H / D) (W)9.0" X (H)21.5" X (D)22.7"
Weight 29.1 lbs
Motherboards Micro - ATX / ATX / E-ATX
5.25" Drive Bay 6 (without the use of exposed 3.5" drive bay)
3.5" Drive Bay 5 hidden 1 exposed (converted from one 5.25" drive bay)
Cooling System Front: 230 x 30 mm red LED fan x 1, 700 rpm, 19 dBa
Side: 230 x 30 mm standard fan x 1, 700 rpm, 19 dBa (support 120 x 25 fan x 4)
Top: 230 x 30 mm standard fan x 1, 700 rpm, 19 dBa (support 120 mm fan x 3 or 120 mm x 1 + 230 x 30 mm x 1)
Rear: 140 x 25 mm standard fan x 1, 1200 rpm, 17 dBa (support 120 mm fan x 1)
Power Supply Standard ATX PS2 / EPS 12V (optional)
I/O Panel USB 2.0 x 4, IEEE1394a x 1, eSATA x 1, Mic x 1, Audio x 1

Originally posted by Silverstonetek.com

Specifications

Model No.

SST-TJ09B (black)
SST-TJ09S (silver)
SST-TJ09B-W (black, with window)
SST-TJ09S-W (silver, with window)

Material

5.0mm aluminum front panel, 2.0mm aluminum body

Motherboard

SSI, Extended ATX, ATX, Micro ATX

Multimedia

--

Drive Bay

External
  5.25" x 4
  3.5" x 1
 Internal
  3.5" x 6 (vibration dampening)

Cooling System

Front
  1 x 120mm fan slot between HDD cages
 Rear
  1 x 120mm exhaust fan, 1200rpm, 21dBA
 Side
  1 x 120mm mid-section fan, 1200rpm, 21dBA
  2 x 120mm fan slots
 Bottom
  --
 Internal
  --

Expansion Slot

Front I/O Port

USB2.0 x 2
IEEE1394 x 1
Audio x 1
MIC x 1

Power Supply

1 x Optional standard PS2 (ATX) or 1 x Redundant PS2

Expansion Card

--

Net Weight

11 kg

Dimension

210 mm (W) x 525 mm (H) x 605 mm (D)

Extra

--

The conversion from metric to standard would be
Width: (210mm) ~8.267"
Height: (525mm) ~20.669"
Depth: (605mm) ~23.819"

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 28 Sep 2008 at 8:36pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 8:47pm
OK boss so based on less then 1 inch difference, but HAF has more vents and bigger fans which makes it better for air flow and more quiet.

the 850 costs $80 more, and you have to take to stage 3 to match HAF on stage2.

it also does not have the extras HAF has, again no fan for the HDD either.

and I don't think 1 inch qualifies it as

Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

The 850i offers the largest interiors of any case DSO offers which translates into outstanding air cooling potential

so you think less then one inch makes it into outstanding air cooling potential? man its real easy to please you, I'm sorry you have to show me an amount of space that has meaning, less then 1 inch is meaning less.

I believe the biggest interior case we have is the cosmos s, but apparently the touch sensor is a crap shoot

Now to figure out why DS keeps telling everybody, including me that the 850 is smaller then 950.

KB even said it in another thread.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Sep 2008 at 8:57pm

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 9:27pm

I don't believe I referenced the HAF even once in my description of the 850i DST. The OP asked about the 850i, and whether or not that case had good cooling potential for stage 3 cooling. My purpose in posting the information is to provide information to the OP.

What portion of that post do you take issue with, as it relates to the 850i, and only the 850i? If you feel I have misrepresented the qualities of that case, I will make effort to clarify, or correct any errors.

In answer to your questions:

No. I think the large interior and aluminum construction, combined with the ability to mount 9 120mm fans makes for good cooling potential.

It may be useful to compare the internal volumes of the two cases here since you have requested a quantitative difference.

850i: 3.017 cubic feet
HAF 932: 2.542 cubic feet

This is a difference of 18.68%, and this is with the two cases empty, which is the most favorable comparison possible for the HAF932.. In terms of air flow, it is more accurate to look at remaining space in a case after components are installed. Assuming the same components are installed, the amount of space free of components and allowing for air flow will only continue to further favor the 850i.

You would have to ask DSO why they have stated the 950i is larger than the 850i. Both Coolermaster and Silverstone seem to believe this is not the case. DSO's configurator has links to the cases they offer, which are complete with dimensions. The height and width are inverted in the diagram of the 950i, but otherwise, the listed dimensions of each case are accurate.  Perhaps the interior layout of the 950i is more efficient in terms of accomodating something you requested in your build. Again, something you'd have to call and ask.

At no time have I suggested the HAF932 is not a good value. It's a great value. It's also not Coolermaster's top of the line.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 10:00pm
I'm sorry are you trying to say that less then one inch makes the 850si better in airflow? cause if you are then with all due respect:

I think the bigger/more vents of the HAF and the bigger fans of HAF will create better difference then less then one inch of space, its not even one inch.

Also by the time you by the 850 and put 9 fans in it (stage 3) you have spend over $200 extra.

you know in reality that space amounts to nothing, 850 is a great case but the haf has much better air flow, its in stage 3 and it costs less.

You yourself said that taking haf to stage 3 can be over kill.

now for example, if somebody asks me if a q9450 is a good chip and I know they can get the q9550 for the same price or less then I won't just tell them that q9450 is good chip and leave out the info that they can get a q9550 for the same price.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Sep 2008 at 10:19pm

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:02pm
What I actually said is that additional air flow may fail to yield any further improvement to cooling at some point as it related specifically to an upgrade in the fans installed in a HAF932, and it was formed as a question, not stated as fact.

Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

Better is a matter of opinion. Several 120mm fans will move more air than a larger 200mm fan is going to, but will generate more noise doing so. A 200mm fan will typically move about 120 to 130 CFM. A single high performance 120mm fan will move between 80 and 110 CFM (the Scythe Ultra Kaze being the exception at 130 CFM). If you do the math, it is fairly obvoius which will move more air through a case. Here's the caveat- at some point, you are going to reach deminishing return on air flow. You will be getting enough air across the surface area of every heat sink inside your system that more air is simply not going to gain you any advantages. If Alex is saying the HAF is stage 3 by default, my question wouldn't be if it's possible to replace the fans, but rather if he means by that statement, that improving the fans has not appreciable impact on performance over the stock cooling solutions. 

Notice my comment is a question. 

I never suggested that case materials may not have a further impact.

I'd like to start by clearing up a dimensional expression you have now used repeatedly. Inches are an expression of linear measurement. What we are after here is volume, which can only be expressed in terms of cubic inches. The difference between a Coolermaster Stacker830 and a Coolermaster HAF932 is exactly 820.988 cubic inches.

Getting back to air cooling as it pertains to the two cases, perhaps it would help to picture the cases themselves as large heatsinks. The material the HAF932 is constructed from is primarily SEC steel, which has a thermal conductivity of ~50 W/(m*K), where W is Watts, m is meters, and K is degrees Kelvin, while the thermal conductivity of Aluminum is ~200 W/(m*K). You may have already deduced from this that Aluminum is 4 times more thermally conductive than steel.  The 850i has the advantage here in that the heat produced inside of the case is not only transfered outside of the case via vents and openings and propelled by case fans, but also directly conducted outside of the case passively. The HAF, while offering excellent airflow, is not able to match the thermal characteristics of the 850i by virtue of the materials from which it's constructed. Naturally, the HAF isn't completely constructed of steel, it also includes elements constructed from plastic, which is even less effective on terms of thermal conductivity.

Harleyman, while I appreciate the fact that some of the posts DST4ME has made could be viewed as a little abrasive, there can be no positive outcome to escalating the level of hostility.

I ask that everyone observe forum rules and keep their tones moderate and respectful.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 28 Sep 2008 at 11:11pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:19pm
This is between me and TL and we are just having a discussion, he has said stuff to me before, he knows I'm not laughing at him, its the theory, he knows that.

HM what got into you man?

LT you ask that question cause its a possibility.

I can't in all goodness, ask a person to spend more in a case and then pay more for air cooling just to do what the HAF can do right off the bat.

Money is better spent on other things.

As we get the new customers with HAF we will ask them their temps and we will see which is really better. HAF has my money, I've askes Alex few times if I should go with cosmos s or HAF and he said HAF, so if he is recommending the HAF. The case is stage 3 stock.

I'm not gonna spend people's money on a 850 when they can do just great with an HAF.

850 is a great case so is 950 but you can do the same with less if you choose HAF.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Sep 2008 at 1:01am
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:30pm
ok, ive read all you guys have said.  Good points all around.  But, I actually have a CM 830 that i build not long ago.  And my bro in law just got a HAF.  So, heres how it breaks down for us.....

Better value?  Definately the HAF. 
Is airflow better in the HAF?  Defineately.  But i wouldnt say tremendously
Is the haf quieter?  Nope.  It is not.  Had a lan party last night (3 person party), and he was right next to me.  We have nearly the exact same set up.  q6700 with freezer pro 7, 9800gtx oc2, and we both have a full compliment of fans on each.  Also, both have the same PSU (rocketfish 700).

I have 8 greed led antec fans in my case, all 120, all set to high.  Think its spose to be around 30dba. m I do have the side panel with 4 fans, and a door on the front. (hate doors) So the door does hide some noise from the intakes.
Everything on the HAF is open, so you can hear all the airflow.  Not a big difference mind you, but the HAF is louder.

Is it Cooler?   Well, hate to say it, but yes.  But only by an average of 3C from ntune and bios readings.

So, there ya have it, sojmething for everyone.

And I know how DST loves the haf case, so when my bro is done painting it and doin a few mods, ill past the pics just for you :)

Gonna paint it with PPG auto paints, a deep red with all the mesh work left in black, and a red and black interior.  Hes nuts.  But, does good work.  Ill see if i can post some of his other build pics in another section of the forum soon.

Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:32pm
erm....Individual results may vary of course...lol
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:34pm
also of note the 830 only comes with 2 fans, 1 intake, 1 exhaust...have to buy the other 6...or 7 if you max it.

Considering the case cost ~235 without all those fans, its really not a good value from a builder perspective.  I actually could have gotten Liquid CPU cooling for the price of all those darn fans :?  grrr
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:35pm
THX for that info mezzeron, if the fans are cranked up I guess there would be alot of noise, so my question would be were the fans at like 80 or 90% or what?

and yes 3C like I said, it won't mount to much

Man I would love the pics, honestly I like it because for the price its a great cool case air or liquid, if it was not for that, I would not like the case.

secondary reasons is looks, the water cooling, number ports in the front and the fact that Alex likes the case.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Sep 2008 at 11:39pm
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:41pm
Fans are always at 100% when playin Crysis..lol

But, his fans were alot larger, huge side and top fan.  Front and rear both 120.  The stock CM fans arent as high volume as the antec ones ive got in mine.  So if he bought better fans it would be louder.  But, not really needed by the temps he was gettin.  So, why bother.  He's a CM fanboy anyways, which is how i got one.

But, like ive said in the past, i dont like the looks of the HAF...well, untill I saw it close up.  Its like a boston terrier, ugly, but kinda grows on you.

Also, i made a mistake on his vid card, its a gx2.  But, that really doesent matter in my evaluation, as we both have the Arctic cooling accelero 9800 on our cards. 

Best thing you can get for any 9800 series card, its actually comparable to liquid cooling in ters of results, and a ton quieter than the stock fan

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:46pm
That's where we differ DST4ME. I'm saying that the 850i can offer a higher level of performance than the HAF *once upgraded to stage 3 cooling*. The expense involved is a value judgement, and subject to each individual's sensibilities. I will give you an example from one of our recent discussions on performance.

I feel that the performance gained in going from a Q9550 to a QX9770 is simply not cost effective for a gaming system, and you disagree- and strongly at that. To you, the difference in CPU power is worth an additional $1200. To me, it's not, but that is a value judgement. There is no question that the QX9770 is a more powerful chip than the Q9550, and there never will be (assuming you don't stack the deck and compare a "cherry" Q9550 chip that overclocks like a dream to a "dud" QX9770 that can barely get past it's factory speed). So the performance is there. It then becomes a matter for each person to decide if the level of that performance difference merits the cost involved.

I am going to say this, and you can quote me on this freely in the future: The HAF represents the most efficient dollar/performance ratio of any case offered by DSO, in my opinion, at the time of this post. There is no other case offered by DSO that can match the cost efficiency of the HAF. It's an excellent product, and I am strongly considering an upgrade to this case myself.

I write this so you can understand that I am not in any way predjudiced against the HAF. I do think some of it's lines are a little bit ugly (admit it, that big "X" on the back side makes it resemble a glowing red gas can Thumbs%20Down), but the overall appearance is very pleasing, and the case has some really well thought out features at an amazing price point.

Having said that, if the price difference does not discourage a buyer from the 850i, it does offer some advantages over the HAF when air cooling. The value of that advanatge is again, an individual assessment.

Mezzeron, I have a friend with an identical build to my own with the exception of his Coolermaster Stacker 830 and have seen a temperatures come out of his system that I thought would only be possible with liquid cooling. As you have said, individual results may vary. With regard to your fans, I am honestly surprised that the Antec fans you have installed make less noise than the HAF's cooling solutions. I have used Antec Tri Cool fans and while the performance was adequate, I would never have called tham "quiet". 

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 28 Sep 2008 at 11:56pm
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:52pm
On an UNRELATED subject, can anyone tell me why it cost more to get a 9800 gx2 card than a gtx 280?  I thought the 280 was the do all end all (for nvidia cards) for graphics?

Also, since its really 2 cards put together on one board, is it considered an sli card all by its lonesome?

Just your thoughts

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:00am
Mezzeron, yes, the 9800GX2 is an SLI'd pair of cards housed in the same fan shroud with an integrated SLI controller. So it's SLI that will work on any motherboard that supports a PCI-e x16 slot. Believe it or not, 9800GT/X in SLI can outperform a GT200 series card sometimes even an SLI pair of GT200 series cards. It really does depend on whether or not an application places higher demand on RAM bandwidth or on texture fill rates. I can only assume the price is related directly to production cost.
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:06am
wow...now that is quite amazing. 

Reason why i was asking, is ive heard alot of issues with the computer only seeing 512mb of video upon installing.

Don't get me wrong, i love my 9800 gtx oc2, i play crysis on high (no aa), and rarely have any slowdowns, its totally flawless on med-high though.  That makes me happy by itself.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:07am
TL Mezzeron just offered us up some facts instead of theories, so based on that and my own theory, and I'm sure we will see no difference or better cooling from our HAF customers, I disagree with you.

I said there would be little difference, they both have same fans and the difference is minimal, I'm pretty sure if we replace and add all the fans the cases can take you would still see a minimal difference that does not justify the price of the 850 vs HAF.

Till I see proof thats its any difference, IMHO its just theory.

If you don't agree, and I'm sure you don't, we will just have to agree to respectfully, disagree.

the size difference of 850 and 950 that DS says they have is a bit of mystery still tho. lol

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:10am
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:11am
Oh, and the room we were in when we checked temps was a VERY hot room.  Lets just say it was warm euff to almost sweat when it was just me in here.  My room is almost always 75-80 in the summer.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Mezzeron

wow...now that is quite amazing. 

Reason why i was asking, is ive heard alot of issues with the computer only seeing 512mb of video upon installing.

Don't get me wrong, i love my 9800 gtx oc2, i play crysis on high (no aa), and rarely have any slowdowns, its totally flawless on med-high though.  That makes me happy by itself.

I have not heard of this problem Mezzeron, what is it?
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:26am
Just stuff ive read in other forums and such.  Was when they were first out though, so might be why you not heard much about it.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:28am
DST4ME, I do find Mezzeron's comparison both valuable and informative. What I take from that comparison, is that given the environment the systems were in, the passive cooling of the 850i was not an advantage. It may also be that single GPU solutions simply did not produce enough heat to overwhelm the fans of either system. While interesting, and very informative, particularly with regard to the noise generated by the HAF, a single comparison is not conclusive. If, on upgrading my own case ( I am almost positive I will do it at some point) I find that the HAF is up to the task of cooling an SLI system at an equal level to my friend's Stacker, I will happily add that result to this forum and modify my opinions accordingly. Hopefully the 220 mm fans are quiet enough. I would rather not have to populate all those fam slots with S-Flex fans to get back to a quiet system- that would rather defeat the purpose of going with a mid priced case.

Mezzeron,
I am a little surprised you say you can play Crysis at High detail with no slowdown with a single 9800GTX OC2?

I play with a pair of 9800GTX+OC ed cards and find there is massive slowdown, especially in the final boss fight. I was unable to play at more than medium settings without MASSIVE slowdown. What are your other system specs? 

When it comes to the 9800GX2, maybe what you've read about is the fact that the card actually only has 512MB of true video RAM since the 1GB is actually a 512x2 arrangement and the second GPU is using it's RAM to mirror the first GPU, just like a normal SLI configuration.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:31am
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:28am
Also, i wish the HAF would have been out at the time i built my rig...the money i daved i could have gone 790i board and DDR3.  Would be infinately upgradeable compared to what i now use.  

All good though, cause this will be a secondary computer once i finally build my DS monster.

And yes, ill be going for overkill :)
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:33am
TL

OK, i did have major problems at the boss too....but med-high setting it was all smooth.

q6700 CPU
4gig OCZ DDR@ 800 mhz SLi ready RAM
EVGA 680i board
Rocketfish 700 PSU
500 HDD
You know the GPU and CPU cooler

Nothing spectacular there....just a decent gaming system.  Also, nothing overclocked.  GPU on crysis never gets above 48C
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:37am
Also, i was using a smaller 19 old ass school dell monitor, one of the earlier flat panels.

Recently bought a 24 widescreen, havent played crysis on it yet though.  Will prob need to modify setting for resolution.  With the 24 i doubt ill get as good playability

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:39am
Yeah, the rest of the game was silky on VH (medium objects) settings if I ran at... hmm.. I think it was 1400x900, but I can't be 100% sure now. It only the final fight that was horrifically bad. I finally just gave up trying to tweak and set everything to medium, 1680x1050. I also know that Crysis is a memory bandwidth hog, so even SLI 9800GTX is going to have limits.

With a 24" you would definitely see the shortcommings of the 256MB memory bus and 512MB frame buffer. That is exactly where the GT200 series really starts to pull ahead of the older solutions.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:41am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:40am
No not overkill

@TL when I have a theory and then the first actual fact mirrors my theory, I tent to go with my theory, and time has proven that route to be 80 to 90% of the time the right way.

I think you will find that the HAF with the same cooling as in 850 or 950 will offer same results if not better, and I can't wait for the day that you get to test it, we don't agree on lots but I do respect your opinion, and if you gave it a bad rating I would make me take another look at the case, hopefully by that time I have my own HAF so I could see for myself also.

the noise he talks about, is due to his fans being at 100%, any fan is loud at 100%, if you take a stage 3 DS system and put its fans at 100% its gonna be loud.

so guess we have to pick the rest of this up after atleast one of us get the case for themselves, till then I respectfully disagree.
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:42am

I hated the ending..didn't seem like a game ender, just a pre boss boss..lol

I was soo mad when i say the credits roll.

NOW i hear its a trilogy, and warhead isnt part of the actual trilogy.  Just a expansion so to speak.  haven't got it yet...but will soon.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:48am
I'll look forward to your system review as well DST. Until then, I guess it's possible that the HAF not only has the cooling of stage 3, but the noise of stage 3 as well. Remember, *both* system's fans were at 100% and the 850i had all fan slots populated, just like stage 3. Again, one comparison is not enough to be conclusive, but it does give me pause. Until I see more reviews of the case, I don't think it would be prudent or honest for me to recomend it as a quiet solution.

I agree on the ending Mezz. But this is going way off topic at this point, so I'd like to give the OP his thread back.Cool

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:49am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:57am
Well now that is not fair, any case with fans at 100% can't be recommended as a quiet solution, an 850si with 100% is not a quiet solution either, its just not as loud as the HAF, in lower setting tho the HAF should be more quiet cause it takes less rpm to run the bigger fan, but the bigger fans once they get going over 60% will make more noise.

Now DS themselves will tell you to quiet down any case they will lower the fan.

Mezzeron never said how much louder HAF was then the 850. He also has said after knowing how loud it is, he wishes he had one, so it must not be that bad if he wants an HAF instead of the 850, and he is not the first 850 or 950 case owner here that has said the same exact thing "I wish the HAF was out when I was ordering my system".

at lower settings is when the quiet comes into play.

but noise is also a matter of perception, to me its got to be loud for me to notice it, but maybe your room is very quiet and you will notice the smallest thing, so that is going to be hard to judge IMHO.

maybe they can tell us what they think with the fans on a low settings

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:57am
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 4:43am
First, I'd like to state from a Physics and engineering standpoint, that Tyler has made many valid points.
Second, DST4ME, you are extremely biased toward the HAF case and are not willing to even see that any other case could possibly be better.
Third, while mezzeron was kind enough to tell us of his experience, the conditions were hardly scientific and there is no way to account for the numerous variables that could alter results.
Fourth, DST4ME, I am tired of your argumentative manner and mockery of others. Personally, I find your attitude to be quite reminscent of my experiences working with other audio reviewers. The possess a God attitude and could always play the game of making their chosen product look like THE one.
Finally, this is the main reason I left the audio industry and journalism. I will therefore be leaving these forums. I hope you can learn to be more objective in the future, for the sake of others whom you offer advice.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 4:57am
I totally disagree, and am sorry you feel that way.

I acknowledged what TL said but I disagreed, I don't see how me looking at it from both sides then deciding that in real life most likely this side of the argument will hold water is called me being biased toward the HAF and not willing to even see that any other case could possibly be better.

LOL its not like I'm not understanding what he is saying, and in theory it does kinda add up, however the difference at the end of the day is not going to be noticeable in my opinion and so far there is one case that points toward this side.

With all due respect if you gonna accuse me of not being objective then atleast do so with some proof, just because I don't agree with others it means I'm not objective? it sounds like you just want me to follow what TL or who ever else's opinion blindly.

I also don't see how I'm biased toward the HAF? why? am I getting a kick back? because Its in stage 3, and offers great cooling ,and it would be the case I would get, there for its the case I recommend to everybody else, I'm biased? LOL that like me telling TL and KB they are biased because they have a 950si, I'm sure there is some of that, but if the case is in fact a good case then I hardly think I can in all fairness say they are biased toward the 950si and that is the only reason they say its good. Which is not true, as I said the 950 and 850 are great cases, IMHO tho HAF is a better case cooling/money wise.

Lastly I don't understand why you need to leave, if I said something to upset you or offend you I apologize.

In my defence, why don't we ask the people I helped if they think I have a god attitude or if I gave them bad advise or was unhelpful, cause the reason I'm here is to help people who don't know much and can benefit from what I know.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Sep 2008 at 5:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply