FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$9400 Aventum X effectively dead after 5 days

Post Date: 2021-03-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mario3504 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mario3504 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $9400 Aventum X effectively dead after 5 days
    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 4:07pm
I ordered my Aventum X back in November. After months of waiting I received it on Feb 26th. Now 5 days later, March 2 I was using my system and all of a sudden my monitor went black and I heard the sound of water draining. I noticed coolant droplets accumulating on my front glass panel. I immediately removed power from my system and upon inspection found many of my hard line tubing fittings leaking and dripping coolant.  I tightened the fittings on the tubing as best I could and cleaned as much coolant as I could find. Now upon booting the pc there is no video signal and a VGA ERROR 97 code on the motherboard.  I have never owned a watercooled pc and I was never directed by DS to check the tightness of these fittings, and frankly for almost $10000 I shouldn't have to.  Frankly I expected more for my money.  

EDIT: I had to resize the photos to upload for reference.

Order #150808

20210303_084611.jpg20210303_084631.jpg20210303_084552.jpg20210303_084645.jpg

Edited by Mario3504 - 03 Mar 2021 at 5:51am
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 5:27pm
I'm very sorry for your situation, Mario3504. This is indeed a very serious situation, and you must call DS tech support ASAP. When talking with them, might be good to share pictures of the system as is, system specs (e.g., Motherboard, CPU, etc); picture of the reservoir level. Do not turn it on unless DS says otherwise.

Many folks in the forums have purchased hard line tubing in the past and commented on the fact that tube leaks are not uncommon. The system gets jostled somewhat during the shipping and handling process. Fittings may look tight, but if the gaskets have failed as a result of the jostling stress, tightening fittings won't help.

It doesn't look like you had thermal issues associated with inadequate coolant supply to components. Not certain, but you should be OK from a motherboard short due to coolant getting on the board itself. An internet search finds other examples of Qcode 97 related to inadequate mounnting of CPU and/or GPU blocks. Again, consistent with shipping and handling.

The fact you used the machine for 5 days without issue asks the question what did you do differently on the last day? Were you stressing the system (heavy CPU/GPU usage) such that increased cooling capacity was needed?

Good luck. I really hope you can get this sorted out. The Aventum X is a fantastic machine.
Mario3504 View Drop Down

Quote Mario3504 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:17pm
Nothing new, was playing a game and Temps were fine. The system was not under any kind of overwhelming demand. On further inspection it looks like one leak was from tubing directly over my gpu block and I was able to find coolant under the gpu between the mounting bracket so it definitely got on the card. I doubt its a mounting issue because it worked fine for 5 days. I think the coolant shorted the card. Still waiting for a call back from support.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 3:56am
I have spent a good amount of time here over several years. I so feel for you.   

In all my time, must be thousands of systems have shipped with hard line tubing, but only a scant 2-3 dozen have been reported here, and very few with what seems to be a wide-spead failure. Nevertheless, I will never recommend any custom loop cooling system. For me, what has happened would be just about the worst outcome I could imagine from what I always hope will be a joyful experience for all you folks. The ongoing care and maintenance would bug me, too.

I'm not trying to make things worse, I'm just trying to say that one of the more experienced members here is in full empathy with you. My experience is that Digital Storm will attempt to move "heaven and earth" to help you with this, but it doesn't seem it'll be an easy fix.

You didn't make a fatal mistake, you just got royally messed with, and I'm sorry. "This, too shall pass", so may the Force be with you.
 Post Reply Post Reply