Post Date: 2009-12-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
madmaligor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A big christmas gift...
    Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 1:11am
This year my better half surprised me with a thumbs up on my desire to upgrade from my faltering 5 year old Dell XP.  I have been lurking here and doing research elsewhere, and I must say you all have been extremely helpful.  I am now between building my own rig out of parts off newegg, or here.  The high end (for me) config is this (I removed things that were not available)...

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator with DHX Extreme Edition
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (OCZ Vertex Series Extream Speed)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 Red Edition 1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Please include a free copy of a hot-selling game
Display: !PROMO BUNDLE: NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (Samsung 22 inch 120Hz LCD + NVIDIA 3D Glasses)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
ticket # 367761

Now that is an upgraded version of this config...

Copy of Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator with DHX Extreme Edition
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 Red Edition 1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Display: !PROMO BUNDLE: NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (Samsung 22 inch 120Hz LCD + NVIDIA 3D Glasses)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
ticket # 367773

So a few questions...

1.  Is it worth getting the SSD for the OS, and is anyone using a set up that runs the virtual/paging files on a platter drive to maintain SSD life?  Should I just run the OS on the platter and use the SSD for high end games that don't perform alot of read/write functions?  Is it better to wait and just sit with the 500GB 7500, or is the technology at a point where its lifespan is worth the dollar now (your opinions are wanted please)?

2.  ASUS vs the EVGA...any opinions on the necessity/advantage of the upgrade?

3.  Power is power but is the 1k overkill already, or will I be happy I stepped up to the 1.2K Power supply in the future?  Can I still wait for the Corsair 1K even though its a budget deal PC or if there is no option am I stuck with whatever they choose?  If the 1.2 is not overkill...is the EVO upgrade a no brainer (from the reviews I have read its almost all positive, just wanted opinions from anyone here who has one)?

4.  And maybe most importantly...is there an after holiday sale in the next week?  I am gonna kick myself in the shins if I pull the trigger and could have saved a couple of hundred bucks the next day.  Im not worried about a month from now etc...I know things come down, I am just looking for the best time to buy now.

Thanks ahead of time to those who took the time to read/post and help me.  =)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 1:32am
1. not sure what you mean by life of ssd, with trim support and etc, life your ssd and its performance will be fine.

2. evga has much better support and these days I will take evga any day.

3. 1000w is more then enough for your use and future upgrades, just make sure you request and wait for the corsair.

4. we never know when they have sales, what the sales are and how long they last.

this is what you want:

Here you go Ticket# 367787 --- Price: $3309 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $3309

Copy of Specifications:
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (OCZ Vertex Series Extream Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: FREE: Please include a free copy of a hot-selling game
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Dec 2009 at 1:33am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 1:48am
Thanks for the help DST4ME =)

1.  Basically, as I understand it from what I have been reading, as the drive space is used up in an SSD for permanent files the allocation of space for moving files gets more and more limited.  If I am running some games on the SSD, that means space can and will become an issue at some point (for example running Fallout 3, Crysis, Dragon Age, Company of Heroes etc...) can start to suck up alot of space.  A recent article I read said you can improve performance by moving virtual or page files to a different HD.  By moving them to a platter, can you then improve performance and save lifespan?  I could be wrong about this, I was wondering if someone has done this and what if any improvement they have seen.

2.  Awesome, EVGA it is.

3.  Sounds good! =)

4.  I am keeping my fingers crossed a rep might pop in here and say we will be having after holiday sales...similair to what they did on twitter for black friday. =)

A number of your posts have been very helpful btw...thanks DST4ME, its appreciated.

*edit* ps...using the GeForce card for the 3D..as I understand it the ATI can't do 3D...or am I wrong is it compatible now?

Edited by madmaligor - 26 Dec 2009 at 1:51am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 2:05am
Oh another thing...she has got me doing laundry while specing out my comp on christmas day....is that just wrong or what? Wink
Kinesis View Drop Down

Quote Kinesis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 2:23am
Originally posted by madmaligor

Oh another thing...she has got me doing laundry while specing out my comp on christmas day....is that just wrong or what? Wink

small price to pay :P

Congrats on your systemErmm

I'm still waiting for mine,have an ssd in it too,would like to find out more about what you posted about them above.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 5:08am
My pleasure

laundry on xmas is wrong lol.

ok lets see

I think you may have a good point there, for 3d nvidia is the way to go.

in that case go with 2 x 275, you will get better performance and payless then 1 x 295.

as far as ssd, again with support for "trim" (kinda of a defrag if you will), the performance loss due to deleting files and etc is taken care of, with todays' ssds and proper firmware support, you should not get any performance loss, be sure you are reading up to date materials, and remember that all ssds are not the same, the ones offered here, ocz vertex, corsair and intel all have support for trim and are great ssds.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 8:58pm
Ok, someone make it monday already so I can talk to a DS rep and pull the trigger on my rig.  Sleepy
Captain Francis View Drop Down

Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 5:34am
Ok...

*Shazaaam!*

It's Monday.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Captain Francis

Ok...

*Shazaaam!*

It's Monday.

Hey now, no cheating! =p

Im on the phone and I had to leave a message....call volume is "heavy"...noooooooooooooooo!  Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 8:55pm
Whooohoooo James called me back and I am done!  System now in the works.  I am in geek heaven =)

The cool thing is they are only and hour and a half from where I live so I am going to pick it up instead of letting the delivery guy drop it off the back of the van....while moving at 15 mph past my front door...Big%20smile

Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

My pleasure

laundry on xmas is wrong lol.

ok lets see

I think you may have a good point there, for 3d nvidia is the way to go.

in that case go with 2 x 275, you will get better performance and payless then 1 x 295.

as far as ssd, again with support for "trim" (kinda of a defrag if you will), the performance loss due to deleting files and etc is taken care of, with todays' ssds and proper firmware support, you should not get any performance loss, be sure you are reading up to date materials, and remember that all ssds are not the same, the ones offered here, ocz vertex, corsair and intel all have support for trim and are great ssds.

Thanks again for the help D, I took your advice and went with two 275's.

I did a bit of looking online and did indeed confirm what you said about the SSD's.  I am holding off though, for budget issues and went with two 500's as they are dam cheap, one for OS and general file storage, other for games.

Two things...I was on the fence about the power supply but decided to just go with the enermax after reading some good reviews, instead of waiting.  My only issue now is after looking at some peoples rigs, did I pick the right case? 

the number for my rig is 368647

Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 11:14pm
HAF 932, that's the case I got.

New Asetek cooling option, I see.  They must have added that in the last week or so.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Captain Francis

HAF 932, that's the case I got.

New Asetek cooling option, I see.  They must have added that in the last week or so.

For some reason the Hailstorm wasn't available this week, maybe it was out of stock.  Im not unhappy with the HAF, so its not a huge thing, but it would have been nice to have the choice.

The option to up the size on the cooling was nice as well.

Ok Captain, its time to do your magic...make it next monday so I can go pick up my rig.....

Confused

*taps his foot*.....

Im waiting.....Sleepy

Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 1:09pm
Sorry, my powers are recharging.  I'll be able to get around to it in about 6 days.

Monday is also when my rig is scheduled to arrive by mail.  Go monday!

Kind of have to celebrate New Years first, though. lol
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 2:27pm
na the asetek has been there the whole time.

for your case madmaligor the 932 is great.

madmaligor I don't like your new config at all

the 960 is pointless go with 920, you will never notice the difference.

you want the corsair 1000w and not the 1250w.

put your ram back to the DS certified ram, you have nothing to gain from any othe ram.

asetek sucks drop it.

you don't need the led fans, they are loud and will not make much of a difference, we like the haf cause it provides great airflow stock.

drop the oc of video card, its pointless and just bring more heat, you won't see any performance gain from it.

my build is a much more solid quality build then that new tick number you have.
philiporphillip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 6:17pm
DST4ME :: what's wrong with the 1250w psu? .. just curious.

yes, the i7-960 is too expensive. you can just overclock the i7-920 equivalent to the i7-960 or even higher.
Digital Storm
haf 922
i7-920 oc'd @ 3.6 ghz (1.28v)
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
6 gb ddr3 1600 mhz mushkin
evga nvidia geforce gtx 295 co-op edition
1000w corsair hx

Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 8:25pm
I saw the one Asetek but not the second one.

I guess I just never payed attention to it since I'd heard about the Noctua already.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 9:54pm

na the asetek has been there the whole time.

for your case madmaligor the 932 is great.

madmaligor I don't like your new config at all

the 960 is pointless go with 920, you will never notice the difference.

you want the corsair 1000w and not the 1250w.

put your ram back to the DS certified ram, you have nothing to gain from any othe ram.

asetek sucks drop it.

you don't need the led fans, they are loud and will not make much of a difference, we like the haf cause it provides great airflow stock.

drop the oc of video card, its pointless and just bring more heat, you won't see any performance gain from it.

my build is a much more solid quality build then that new tick number you have.

D...

The 960 is really more because I was looking down the road.  Since the cooling was free on the cpu, overclocking it a bit isn't going to impact the system at all...at least thats what the DST people told me.  Your right though, its really only a marginal increase.

We did drop the OC on the cards, but once chosen I couldnt drop it from the build online.  The DST guy couldn't either, its a glitch in the webpage apparantly.  The DST guy also said was unneccessary and would bring more heat as you noted.

The ram I would disagree with you on though.  After I found out what make they are using I decided to keep with what has worked for me.  For a very small price its a better maker, and possibly better speed.

I am actually curious about the asetek comment though, and you have me a bit worried.  Its one of the things I didn't look into much because it was free.  Is there a problem with that cooler...leaking...water loss...radiator problems?

The fans were just for the lighting effect.  I like the blue in black look.  Sound I am much less worried about, I almost exclusively use a headset unless I am listening to music...and when I use my 5.1's the volume is up pretty loud hehehe Ouch

The powersupply has ratings as good as the corsair and they are noted for good customer service when it comes to replacement and cables.  I did hear their rebate policy is just about as slow as a snail stuck in the mud though.  Its overkill yes...for now.  But again I was thinking multiple Fermi's, two solid states, a sound card, a blu ray player, etc...in a year or two.  Not that the 1k Corsair wouldn't have covered it.  There is a number of people waiting on the corsair though and I didn't want to roll the dice and wait.  I have been waiting for a long time like you, its just I was waiting for the go ahead from the boss hehehe, and so I just covered future upgrades with the 1250.

Its always been my thought that Board, CPU, case/power supply is the three you want covering your bottom at the start.  The rest is easily upgraded.

Thanks again DST4ME Ouch  and let me know on the cooling thing, in case there is something I can do at this point.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 10:39pm
i also have the upgrade chassis led (red) fans and the aerocool display on my haf 922. i'm sure i would've gotten thumbs down on the forum if i had asked for help on my DS build. this was last month.

now i'm more than satisfied on 'my' build. i wasn't pc savvy but i had done about more than a month's research and yes, it's always been my thought as well that cpu/cooling/case, motherboard, and the psu were the trophies of a good pc. the specs are in my signature, and it's not that far off from the other specs recommended to other prospect DS buyers. but i also wanted my pc to be aesthetically appealing, hence the extra led fans and display. it's a really nice touch, especially at night with the blue and red lights reflecting off the walls. like my brother-in-law said, "wow, look at the fans !!"

it's good to ask for advice, but in the end, it's you making the final call.

Edited by philiporphillip - 29 Dec 2009 at 10:42pm
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 10:48pm
check out this link .. i think the asetek and the corsair liquid cooling looks very similar.

Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 10:56pm
Ouch  Well I have been lurking for quite some time, and its not hard to notice the people who care alot about the company and their rigs, and want to help people on this board.  Their opinions are valuable and I take them seriously, mostly because they force me to look at things from a different perspective and go find out the truth from their belief.  I do keep in mind that most of them probably know alot more about PC's than I do, but like you said, in the end its my rig...so in the end its my opinion that really matters...at least to me hehehe.

The key is to try to divest opinion from fact.  Thats the hard part.  The best a person can do is to do the homework on the web and also talk to your friends about experiences they have had.  I try to stay away from sales person opinions though.  I have had some truly bad experiences relying on sales peoples knowledge. Cry
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 10:58pm
the corsair is a re-badged astek
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:09pm
Dell came up with a system around $1500 when i called. for a few more hundreds, DS was the better deal.

Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:10pm
Very interesting vid, and a nice way to get cheap heat reduction...are the two companies linked?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:12pm
i think the noctua will be much better. i don't know if they're linked, but yes, forget asetek.
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by philiporphillip

Dell came up with a system around $1500 when i called. for a few more hundreds, DS was the better deal.

I had the pretty much the same thing happen with Dell...really its the quality and customer service here that convinced me.  Plus the warranty was 3 years standard, and I got a whopping 4th year for free in this weeks sale!  You just cant beat that.  If this system even comes close to expectation, I will be a lifelong fan as long as they are around.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:16pm

i think the noctua will be much better. i don't know if they're linked, but yes, forget asetek.
It probably is.  Unfortuntely it doesn't come as an option in the special deal builds, at least not in the one I did.  So I didn't do to much research...which has me a bit worried now.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:22pm

It probably is.  Unfortuntely it doesn't come as an option in the special deal builds, at least not in the one I did.  So I didn't do to much research...which has me a bit worried now.

hmm, it's not in the options? what about the v8 cooler?

don't worry, i'm certain the asetek will cool your cpu fine.  
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:28pm

hmm, it's not in the options? what about the v8 cooler?

don't worry, i'm certain the asetek will cool your cpu fine.  

Well crap now they are there!  The noctua wasn't there the other day.  Maybe they got a shipment or something.  So you think the noctua 120mm is better than the astec 240mm?  Is there a performance difference, or are we talking about a quality thing?  Is a bigger radiator better?   If general consensus is the smaller noctua is a better choice for the cpu, I am gonna give them a call in the morning and see about a swap.

Edited by madmaligor - 29 Dec 2009 at 11:29pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 12:11am
i haven't tested the asetek or the noctua, but from what i've been reading here in the forums, noctua is really popular both for its quality and performance. just check out youtube for noctua. the v8 i have is running my cpu great !! .. how much more will the noctua do? >,<
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 1:06am
Noctua is a little better and more quiet.

@madmaligor a 1000w corsair will do everything you want, tri sli fermi, HDDs and etc, but it will do it more quietly and with less heat.

the ram is under warranty so it will not make a difference.

Noctua is better then asetek. don't say I didn't warn you
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 4:51am

Noctua is a little better and more quiet.

@madmaligor a 1000w corsair will do everything you want, tri sli fermi, HDDs and etc, but it will do it more quietly and with less heat.

the ram is under warranty so it will not make a difference.

Noctua is better then asetek. don't say I didn't warn you

I think I am going to run with most of that advice and get in touch with DS in the morning.  The ram, well I will just respectfully disagree with you Ouch 

Hopefully I will be able to change if I want to.  Has anyone tried to do that after stage 1/2? 

Depending on the answer regarding the wait on the corsair I may or may not change.  From the vid I saw on the enermax it was pretty quiet as well, but the heat thing would be more of an issue for me than noise.  That said the airflow in the 932 is supposed to be fantastic so I shouldn't have a problem if the wait might be a long one on the corsair. 
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 8:40am
there is several benchmarks to prove  RAM performance and you can put your Corsair RAM up against my Mushkin any time.. SmileSmile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 2:01pm
benchmarks do show ram difference, in game playing there will be no difference.

@madmaligor, ram is upto you but as stated above in gaming it will make no difference what so ever, I can put up charts that show fps with different ram speed and etc all day that show there is no difference, you might find a tiny difference in a game or two but thats about it.

at the end tho its up to you, if you feel comfortable with corsair then you can go with that.

so ram will make no difference.

the wait for corsair should be only a couple of weeks max from what I understand.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 2:30pm
I have proven this many times.... slow Mhz RAM to fast Mhz RAM all else the same %20 more performnace..
use fast RAM and tighten the timings and say for example resident Evil I gain around 15 more FPS.. so it is more significant than going from 3.0Ghz on the CPU to 4.0 GHZ... so it is a huge deal in my eyes..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>